• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genaration 6 "Wants"

which new or old feature would you like to see in Generation 6?

• Pokemon following you around like in Yellow,HG,SS

Votes: 126 65.6%
  • Berry Trees Back

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • New Battle system (6 on 6, etc.)

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Multiple Regions

Votes: 117 60.9%
  • Battle Frontier return

Votes: 78 40.6%
  • New Starter types

Votes: 75 39.1%
  • Dark type Gym Leader

Votes: 100 52.1%
  • Tournament instead of elite four

Votes: 60 31.3%
  • Return of team rocket

Votes: 58 30.2%
  • New eeveelutions

Votes: 92 47.9%
  • New storyline(Not the old ten year old sets out to be champ and stop bad guys)

Votes: 106 55.2%
  • All

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 44 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Player/fan designed pokemon: Gamefreak/Nintendo should open up a drawing contest and have the players design some pokemon. Why? Because they are coming up with pokemon like "klink" and "timburr".

At least pick some that are not fresh versions of old pokemon, like Magnemite and Machop in this case. Otherwise your argument makes no sense.

However, I love the idea. It would need to be quite specific and carefully done, otherwise they would be drowned in crappy dragon pictures that have no basis or background and everything else that makes a pokemon..
Not sure how that would be done... but there really are some very creative and amazing fakemon out there that Id love to see become official.

Years
I really love the idea of a tournament, not instead of the E4 but as a post-game thing.
Even if it appears in place of the Elite 4 after you beat them the first time.

Just take for example 15 contestants who you face only 4 of randomly every time you challenge. And at the end, hey! It' the Champion!

But yeah re-battling the E4 is very monotonous the more you do it, at least if you have a lot more trainers with their own speciality it makes you think about strategy a bit more rather than soloing with a Lucario which is what I've done many many times in White.

The excitement is still there because you never know who you're going to face even though you may have already defeated all of them at least once.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I really love the idea of a tournament, not instead of the E4 but as a post-game thing.
Even if it appears in place of the Elite 4 after you beat them the first time.

Just take for example 15 contestants who you face only 4 of randomly every time you challenge. And at the end, hey! It' the Champion!

But yeah re-battling the E4 is very monotonous the more you do it, at least if you have a lot more trainers with their own speciality it makes you think about strategy a bit more rather than soloing with a Lucario which is what I've done many many times in White.

The excitement is still there because you never know who you're going to face even though you may have already defeated all of them at least once.

Yeah.
For using E4 as a leveling place in the post-game, I would do the following:
instead of challenging the same E4, once you defeated them, you could instead enter a separate set of rooms, where you would be challenged by randomly picked gym leaders/E4/champ, all with endgame teams, while the real E4 would use the same teams as the first time.

It'd be a hybrid of Platinums battleground and the postgame E4.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
>Pokemon following you around like in Yellow,Hg,SS
No thank you, unless we get the option to turn it on/off and actually choose which one will be out, instead of the first Pokemon being out.
>Berry Trees Back
I wouldn't mind it, but I don't see a reason for it. It's point were the contests and making of poke blocks. Unless they bring back the contests, I see no reason for it.
>New Battle system (6 on 6, etc.)
No.
>Multiple Regions
Adding a new original region as post-game for a remake is okay. A new game with multiple regions? No. Too much work for them.
>Battle Frontier return
They should focus on something new, like they did with the battle subway. But I hope they make it in the fashion of Battle Frontier and make it more interesting, with leaders etc.
>New Starter types
I'm open for a new type, but starters should remain the same.
>Dark type Gym Leader
Sure, but not early game. At least in the second half.
>Tournament instead of elite four
No. So what, you accidentally end up fighting the specific 4 each time? Fighting random opponents would suck.
>Return of team rocket
Why? Why not Team Aqua or Galaxy?
>New eeveelutions
No thanks. It already became a Pokemon version of Sega Genesis, they should stop with eeveelutions. And also, who wants to see a Rock/Steel/Dragon/Ghost Eevee? First would end up being a statue, Steel would end up being MechaEevee, Dragon would be...weird..and Ghost would be what? A dead Eevee?
>New storyline(Not the old ten year old sets out to be champ and stop bad guys)
It's fine as it is. They should use a new storyline for spinoffs.

---
What I'd like them to add:

>Main characters father is the boss of Team Badguys
We already had a rival like that, and a protag with a Gym leader father. It would be interesting if we got a bad guy father, but without knowing that until the very end of the game when the MC beats him, or something like that. Not knowing who his father is, that is. They could later reuse that in the show and make him Ash's father (j/k)
>Remove HM
HMs were always a nuisance, and I think that they should just add something like an pickaxe/wood axe for Rock smash and Cut, and allow you to swim on a water Pokemon, without the use of HM Surf. Like, after the 5th badge, you can swim on your water Pokemon. Same with fly and strength. HM slaves just end up taking space, and using HM on main team is just waste.
>Champion is your older brother
That would kinda rework the story a bit, so instead of just becoming a champion, your goal would be surpassing your older brother.
>All trainers can be re-battled after a week. After a week passes, you can challenge all trainers (including the gym leaders) again. Whether they'll use the original team or a stronger would depend on your number of badges. Example: First gym leader has Lv. ~14 Pokemon, and after you get the second badge, when you battle him again, he'll have Lv. ~20 Pokemon

There are lots of innovative ideas that could be added without changing the core of the games. I think that the games still need to be in the same way they always were. Adding multiple things could make the same old thing a lot more different.

Years
Pokemon following you around like in Yellow, HG/SS: I personally enjoyed this feature, but it would need to undergo tweaks if I wanted it to come back. First, it should be completely optional, and secondly, you should be able to choose which of your Pokemon was to follow you, not just the first in your party.
Bring the Berry trees back: If they want to, by all means, bring them back. Personally, I would just pick them and move along, but I know that others actually did plant and water berries to use.
New Battle system (6 on 6, etc.): I think that the idea of triple and rotational battles is already a little ridiculous, so I don't think we need to go any further than what we already have (I don't even like doing double battles, never mind a possible 6 on 6).
Multiple Regions: I'm on the fence with this. It would really depend on how a new region was implemented, and if it was one that we had already seen or not.
Battle Frontier return: I did like some of the facilities at the Battle Frontier more than others, but it did provide a good challenge post-game, so I'd be all for it's return.
New Starter types: The Grass/Fire/Water triangle works just fine, and while I know that people have come up with others like Electric/Water/Ground that would technically work, I don't see them messing with tradition any time soon.
Dark type Gym Leader: Doesn't matter to me either way if there is or isn't one. I would expect it to be added in a Gen VI game, but I wouldn't care if it wasn't.
Tournament instead of the Elite Four: Could be interesting, but there is nothing wrong with the Elite Four the way it is. If you want to add tournaments and things on the side that's fine, but they should leave the E4 the way it is.
Return of Team Rocket: They've already disbanded twice, so I don't see much future for them. But, there could always be an exception for this.
New Eeveelutions: Another one that I'm on the fence about. Part of me thinks that they've already added too many, and they should give up on it while they can. But another part of me feels that they've already done 7/17 Eeveelutions, why stop now?
New storyline (Not the old ten year old sets out to be champ and stop bad guys): While it would be a nice change of pace, what would the main conflict of a story be then? If there is no fight of good vs. evil, then the story becomes awfully bland while playing through it. I like that we are still given different villainous teams, yet they all have different goals and values, so it doesn't feel like the same story every time. I wouldn't mind if the player character was a bit older, but again, Pokemon is mainly catering to the younger audience, so while it would be nice to have a more mature storyline with older characters, it probably won't happen.

Some other things that I might like to see out of a Gen VI game would be:

- Player customization. Not necessarily full customization, but even the ability to change our player's clothes would be alright. It does get a little boring to see our player wearing the same thing the entire game, so even when our character changed for things like the Pokeathlon or Super Contests, it was exciting.
- Certain HM's as key items? Things like Surf, Cut and Flash could be taken care of with these, and it would keep us from having to use HM slaves on our teams. Either that, or follow the direction of B/W where the use of HM's isn't needed to completely follow the story.
- Maybe a game based in the future? The original games were made all the way back in 1996, which is more than 15 years ago. Maybe we could go back to Kanto in a game that comes out around 2016 (probably the tail end of Gen VI) where we see how much the region has changed over the last two decades, possibly with the inclusion of Johto and the Sevii Islands. This would be the only way that I would want to see a return of Team Rocket or more than one region in a game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Did ya miss gen V? :P
It was heavier bug infested than any other generation to date, and added quite a few exotic ones, like
-Fire, Volcarona
-Electric, Gavantula
and added more of the uncommon combos like
-Grass, Leavanny
-Rock, Crustle
along with making the Bug/Steel combo into the most common by adding Escavalier, Durant and Genesect...if they didn't also add a fifth Poison one, Scolipede, but at least this one is more than a joke.

Even one that stays pure to the final stage, Accelgor.

Which is 9 lines, or 18 pokemon (compared to 12,10,14,9), including the first Bug legendary!

So yeah... but that's not to say there aren't a few exotic combinations left (theres many less diverse though..), and if thats what you actually meant, I agree that there should be some of these asap:
-Bug/Dark (like obvious replacement for the poison ones)
-Bug/Psychic (this really doesnt exist yet wtf)
-Bug/Water (F*ck Surskit.)
theres Bug/Ice too, but that would require some worthy concept..
Aye, the fifth generation has done a lot for Bug-types, but I still look at a list of them and find it disappointingly dominated by Flying. We might have new Bug-X types but Bugs are still largely either somewhat limited in their potential roles or relatively useless overall. It's probably just me though.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Aye, the fifth generation has done a lot for Bug-types, but I still look at a list of them and find it disappointingly dominated by Flying. We might have new Bug-X types but Bugs are still largely either somewhat limited in their potential roles or relatively useless overall. It's probably just me though.

I see.

The thing is though that you will find people for most types that feel that way xD

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
I'll do this by responding to each option:

Pokemon following you around like in Yellow, HG/SS
Not my #1 priority, but there's nothing bad about it. I voted no because it has no impact on gameplay.

Berry Trees Back
I voted yes on this one, because B/W were hellish as to getting berries.

New Battle system (6 on 6, etc.)
No sextuple battles, but there is one change I would like to see: Speed being the chance of going first, instead of 400 speed always going before 399 speed.

Multiple Regions
Only with Unova for the main Gen VI games, but a Kanto remake could have Johto or Sevii. I voted no since we're basically discussing only the first paired versions.

Battle Frontier return
Since it's either Hoenn or Sinnoh being remade in Gen VI, I see that region's Frontier being in the third version and said remakes.

New Starter types
Fire/Water/Grass. End of discussion - but no more Fire/Fighting final forms!

Dark type Gym Leader
It's the only type that hasn't had a gym, so yes.

Tournament instead of elite four
NO. I would, however, like to remove saving during the Elite Four, which would make it similar to a tournament but with set opponents.

Return of team rocket
Only if there are remakes, so no.

New eeveelutions
Dragon would finish off the formerly special-attacking types, but I voted no. Time to break the every-other-generation trend.

New storyline(Not the old ten year old sets out to be champ and stop bad guys)
I liked Colosseum, but I voted no. Remember, XD was pretty much a return to the normal storyline, but with Shadow Pokémon.

Other
Panpour/Pansear/Pansage pre-evo (only one of them, similar to Hitmons)
Throh/Sawk do NOT get a pre-evo
Audino evo (to make grinding harder)
Shedinja evo (keeps 1 HP and Wonder Guard)
Spiritomb pre-evo
Jynx evo (never going to happen, though)
Pinsir evo (Bug/Dark)
Alternate Surskit evo (Water/Bug)
Alternate Deino evo (pure Dragon)
Evo of alternate Deino evo (Dragon/Normal)
Box legendaries are a duo, both Fighting/Flying (one offensive, one defensive)
Legendary trio of Normal/Ghost, Normal/Dark, Normal/Poison
Psychic legendary with 100 in all stats

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
No sextuple battles, but there is one change I would like to see: Speed being the chance of going first, instead of 400 speed always going before 399 speed.

While an interesting idea...and I've been thinking that speed is too straghtforward like it is now.... this would just make it more luck based.
I mean you could predict even less things properly, because you cant even be sure the next move will go like you want.
I think it would feel similar to changes like criticals becoming more common and accuracies of all moves going below 70%.... no one would want that :S

Panpour/Pansear/Pansage pre-evo (only one of them, similar to Hitmons)
Audino evo (to make grinding harder)

If the upcoming generation turns out to indeed be a "Johto"-expansion of Unova (they perhaps had worked on the designs of while making BW already probably), I am 100% sure both of those will be done. Audino being the new Chansey is self-explanatory, but as far as the elemental monkeys go... I realized they are the Pikachu of Unova. Not as the "cute electric rodent ala Plusle/Pachirisu" role (since Emolga is there for that), but as the first elementally interesting and special pokemon that can be described as the "wannabe starter". Except they had the ingenious thought of making three, to be all starter types instead of Electric. So A baby-monkey is IMO inevitable, more than any other pre-evo ever.

Pinsir evo (Bug/Dark)

Whoa. I'm surprised that I'm surprised.
After all those years of reassuring myself that Pinsir will never evolve, as even though it was left behind by Scyther, it gained a more similar counterpart in Heracross, which unfortunately is superior because of its Fighting type....which is the only type I really contemplated it might gain.
But how the heck did I not see this obvious choice. Dark is the "other" fancy type of the chart...and Pinsirs pincers scream Dark type.
Sadly though it hasnt happened in 4 gens, so I wouldnt bet on it at all. Poor Pinsir :S

Alternate Surskit evo (Water/Bug)

I think you'll have better chances hoping for a new line that uses this combo, as Surskit gaining an alt. evo would be like the most random thing ever.

Alternate Deino evo (pure Dragon)
Evo of alternate Deino evo (Dragon/Normal)

Deino, wouldn't just have to lose its prominent Dark type (which only happened for Bellossom out of 649 pokemon), but it doesnt even start out as a primary Dragon .-.

Sirfetch’d

Really great ideas, especially the ones about the monkeys, audino, and pinsir.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Deino, wouldn't just have to lose its prominent Dark type (which only happened for Bellossom out of 649 pokemon), but it doesnt even start out as a primary Dragon .-.

Oddish is Grass/Poison and Bellossom is just Grass. The Primary type doesn't usually change with exception to Eevee and Azuril. So...if anything I agree that Deino won't lose its Dark Typing since its the Primary type. It losing it Dragon typing would be just as weird as a Psuedo Legendary getting a branch evolution...both seem highly unlikely even as a want.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
Pokemon following you around like in Yellow,Hg,SS: I wouldn't mind this, but if it did return then I'd want it to be optional. Liked it in Yellow and at first in HG/SS but then got quickly sick of it.

Berry Trees Back: Not really bothered, never replanted berries anyhow.

New Battle system (6 on 6, etc.): Definitely not! I'm not even a big fan of triple and rotation battles, too much pokemon on the field.

Multiple Regions: Nope! Stick to one region, Kanto in G/S/C/HG/SS was just unnecessary IMO.

Battle Frontier return: Would love the Battle Frontier to return, more like the Emerald one.

New Starter types: I'd prefer the formula of Grass/Water/Fire not to be messed with, but if they did it right I guess I'd be open to change.

Dark type Gym Leader: Yes to this! Don't know why they haven't done it already, but Gen VI would be the perfect opportunity.

Tournament instead of elite four: I want the elite four to remain untouched. If it ain't broken don't fix it, lets leave the tournament style league to the anime (or postgame challenge).

Return of team rocket: Team Rocket aren't my favourite villians, but I would love to see what story they could make up for their return, maybe make them a bit more threatening.

New eeveelutions: I'm open for more eeveelutions, preferably a flying or ghost one like others have said.

New story - Not the old ten year old sets out to be champ and stop bad guys): Would agree with this to some extent. I liked the way B/W have mixed up the story a bit, but I'm sure more could be changed without altering the system. If that makes sense... :p

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
I'm pretty much up for all of them except the 6 v 6. They're all great features and would be a great asset to the game(s). I liked the following feature and I am so up for more eeveelutions. I'd like one for Steel, Flying and Dragon (maybe not dragon..). I'd be stoked if they added said features. So my vote probably lies with All, as I liked pretty much all of the features. But maybe not Tournament. I like the Elite Four.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Dark type Gym Leader: Yes to this! Don't know why they haven't done it already, but Gen VI would be the perfect opportunity.

Its not some mystery, for us to wonder why they intentionally dont use it. They just have not gotten around doing it yet. As simple as that, really.

Just pick a gen and find out.
In GSC you had Karen.
In RSE you had Sidney.
In BW you had Grimsley.
So Dark is a prominent type in the E4. The only time it wasn't in the E4 is DPt.
But DPt also took the whole "gym type fits the theme of its location" a lot more serious. Meaning, a gym next to a mining cave is Rock, the one that has ships going to Iron island is Steel, the one in the city with solar panel floors and a lighthouse is Electric, the one in the snowy north is Ice (even though there were barely any Ice pokemon to find), next to the biggest forest ever, Grass...
sure they could have made one of the other three Dark.. and maybe they even tried to, with Fantina, but probably quickly realised a gym where you walk around with a flashlight in darkness is more Ghost-themed than Dark anyway.

The closest to a Dark gym we have seen is Roxies gym. But why did they go for Poison? Grimsley.

So in short: They will make a Dark gym when they see it fit well into its part of a game, not for the sake of it.

I'd rather have more fun thematic gym puzzles, than just a room with gangsters standing around so there is finally a Dark gym.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Well, for starters, a Dark-type Gym is looong overdue. Game Freak seriously needs to bite the bullet and put one in already. =P

I think in terms of a new battle system, it should be tweaks to the current system. I'd like to see more focus on combo attacks beyond the Pledge moves in double/triple battles; they took the time to add these combo moves to the game, so I hope they spend more time on this concept.

Also, I really believe Water should be weak to Poison. First off, poison can contaminate water, so the change already makes sense. But Poison is such an underused attack type in PvP battles, and it's because it only has one type it can hit super-effectively; the only Poison moves you'll typically see are Toxic and Toxic Spikes; offensive Poison attacks are ignored. Water Pokemon are also quite a common sight, due to their versatility. I think this change could balance things out a bit more in the game.

Next, Ice needs to be better defensively; they're way too fragile. Ice Pokemon are hardly used in battle because of how many common attack types they're weak to. Also, they only resist themselves. The problem is that there's no good weakness to remove from Ice, since all the weaknesses (Fire, Fight, Rock, Steel) make sense, since fire melts ice and physical force can break ice. Perhaps adding resistances would be a good start in making Ice Pokemon better. I say making Ice-types resistant to Dragon attacks would be a good start, plus they could be used as a safe switch-in to Dragon-types. Maybe a resistance to Water would work, too; for a long time, I used to think Ice could resist Water, anyway, since ice is just frozen water. If Water can resist Ice, perhaps Ice can resist Water (except Scald; dealing normal damage to Ice-types with Scald would make sense).

There's probably other changes that need to be made to balance out the type system, but I don't want to spend too much time right now trying to figure them all out.

I think the poison condition got severely nerfed in Gen V. The poison-while-walking needs to come back. I also feel like basic poison is pretty weak and forgettable compared to bad poison, which is much more commonly used. The burn condition has the advantage of lowering attack. Perhaps poison should lower a stat, as well. Special Attack, perhaps? And then, Toxic could be balanced out by not lowering any stats, but would still be useful by dealing much more damage every turn. I just think basic poison needs to be equally as handy as burn.

Also, the red and blue Basculin need their own separate evolutions. I get that they're the Unova equivalent to Shellos, but Gastrodon is much more versatile than Basculin, anyway, given its extra typing. Basculin is relatively plain in comparison, and looks like it needs an evolution. Maybe the red one could evolve into a Water-Dragon sea serpent, while the blue one could evolve into a Water-Steel swordfish. (WIP names for them: Basculisk (red) and Basculade (blue)) There could even be a special way to get them: the red Basculin could evolve by being traded holding a DeepSeaTooth, while the blue Basculin could evolve by being traded holding a DeepSeaScale. (Some of those trade items do need to be less exclusive to certain Pokemon; there's beginning to be a bit too many evolutionary items in all, IMO) Speaking of evolutions, Jynx still needs her evolution. How is it that Electabuzz, Jynx, and Magmar all got their baby forms simultaneously, but Jynx got left out of an evo in Gen IV? I can already picture it:

Hi-Jynx, Ice-Psychic, obtained through trading a Jynx holding a Glacierizer, comes with the ability Cold Spell: when Hi-Jynx is hit with an Ice attack, her Special Attack increases.

I think Pokemon does need to have something new in the story. I feel like we've all grown too used to getting all 8 badges, beating the League, and fighting an evil team who wants to get their hands on a legendary Pokemon. I don't really know exactly how the story could change yet, but I think it's clear that the formula is beginning to show its age. I would actually be interested in fighting things throughout the story mode that aren't Pokemon, sort of like the encounters in PokeStar Studios; things like mechs or warriors or even using Pokemon to combat natural disasters. They wouldn't give EVs, of course, because they're not Pokemon, but things like that would make the game feel more RPG-ish.

Another thing I'd like to see is HMs being more useful both in and out of battle. I know there's the G/S Christmas hack where you can use a Fire HM to melt ice. I'd like to see a useful Fire HM in Gen VI. Maybe it could burn ice in the overworld, and deal around 70 damage in battle with a high chance of burn. Another example: maybe an Electric HM called Sparkle. Works kind of like Flash, only it's a special attack that hits more than one foe in a double battle, and doesn't have as high a chance of lowering accuracy. You could use Sparkle to light up lightbulbs to increase your field of vision in a dark warehouse, or use it to power broken-down machinery to activate drawbridges or to open doors. And perhaps Cut could be modified to have a 20% chance of lowering Defense. Strength could have a 20% chance of raising Attack. I want HMs to generally be seen as more useful than as a burden; Surf and Fly pulled it off pretty well; why not have other HMs that are just as useful?

Last edited:

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I think in terms of a new battle system, it should be tweaks to the current system. I'd like to see more focus on combo attacks beyond the Pledge moves in double/triple battles; they took the time to add these combo moves to the game, so I hope they spend more time on this concept.

I'm sure there'll be more now that the idea made it into the games.

I've been thinking of dual type moves also...
For example Muddy Water being Water&Ground, would mean 2x dmg to Fire, 1.5x to Poison, etc. And STAB would only improve it by 25% unless both types matching, giving the usual STAB.

Also, I really believe Water should be weak to Poison. First off, poison can contaminate water, so the change already makes sense. But Poison is such an underused attack type in PvP battles, and it's because it only has one type it can hit super-effectively; the only Poison moves you'll typically see are Toxic and Toxic Spikes; offensive Poison attacks are ignored. Water Pokemon are also quite a common sight, due to their versatility. I think this change could balance things out a bit more in the game.

Next, Ice needs to be better defensively; they're way too fragile. Ice Pokemon are hardly used in battle because of how many common attack types they're weak to. Also, they only resist themselves. The problem is that there's no good weakness to remove from Ice, since all the weaknesses (Fire, Fight, Rock, Steel) make sense, since fire melts ice and physical force can break ice. Perhaps adding resistances would be a good start in making Ice Pokemon better. I say making Ice-types resistant to Dragon attacks would be a good start, plus they could be used as a safe switch-in to Dragon-types. Maybe a resistance to Water would work, too; for a long time, I used to think Ice could resist Water, anyway, since ice is just frozen water. If Water can resist Ice, perhaps Ice can resist Water (except Scald; dealing normal damage to Ice-types with Scald would make sense).

There's probably other changes that need to be made to balance out the type system, but I don't want to spend too much time right now trying to figure them all out.

This is my attempt at balancing it a bit. Ive changed it a few times over years.
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/art/Fixing-the-type-chart-204921036

Initially I didn't wanna make Water weak to poison because, well you can find a reason to make anything weak to poison, and because a Water pokemon is not made of water or even has to live in it, but merely specialized in Water based attacks.
So I kept the Poison reasoning to technique types...and noticed Dark, the only type besides Normal that doesn't have a real elemental ability or strength, it just plays unfair and uses dirty tricks. And faking a strong immune system wont make health issues go away.

But thinking about it again, and how everyone always first thinks of Water as something that should watch out for Poison attacks, maybe that'd make sense after all, and Water is defensively doing great anyways, so bringing it closer to Grass' "league" would be fine.

I think the poison condition got severely nerfed in Gen V. The poison-while-walking needs to come back. I also feel like basic poison is pretty weak and forgettable compared to bad poison, which is much more commonly used. The burn condition has the advantage of lowering attack. Perhaps poison should lower a stat, as well. Special Attack, perhaps? And then, Toxic could be balanced out by not lowering any stats, but would still be useful by dealing much more damage every turn. I just think basic poison needs to be equally as handy as burn.

Poison while walking being removed is good, because now it makes perfect sense that pokemon are in a "frozen" state while inside pokeballs, since nothing else ever seems to affect them and they dont recover or anything.

Not sure about buffing regular poison that way. Turning it into a special will-o-wisp would be overpowered. Although Id love to see a status effect do that, its likely better if its a new one.
Bad poison is just a stronger version of poison, as Toxic spike layers prove.
What I would do instead is perhaps make it lower Sp.Defense? Either way Id apply that to bad poison too then obviously. Would still make regular poison better.
Also, I would make it so that poisoning a poisoned pokemon changes it to badly poisoned.

Frozen status comes to mind... lowered physical defense comes to mind. lol
There needs to be a Hypnosis like move for freezing.

Wonderng what new status effect could be the special equivalent of burn... if possible a type that lacks such moves.

the red Basculin could evolve by being traded holding a DeepSeaTooth, while the blue Basculin could evolve by being traded holding a DeepSeaScale. (Some of those trade items do need to be less exclusive to certain Pokemon; there's beginning to be a bit too many evolutionary items in all, IMO) Speaking of evolutions, Jynx still needs her evolution. How is it that Electabuzz, Jynx, and Magmar all got their baby forms simultaneously, but Jynx got left out of an evo in Gen IV?

They've tried keeping evolution methods consistent, by never using an old item to give an old pokemon a new evolution. Otherwise Eevee would have evolved by stone everytime, and every trade+item evo could simply be a trade evo, among other cases, all the way to breeding incenses....

Initially Jynx Magmar and Electabuzz were meant as a trio but that never fully made it into the games, and even what was left of that concept was scrapped with GSC, and since then the group has been only going further apart every gen, while Electabuzz and Magmar not just stayed a duo (which they were from the beginning anyways, what with being version exclusives, remember?), but actually got even closer related by new evos.
Jsut getting an evo too wouldn't make it fit into the group suddenly as there are some serious differences, like Jynx being female, having a secondary type, Psychic, and having way lower stats. Also its design doesn't do what the other do: heavily showcase their element. You look at them and go "whoa, a Fire and an Electric pokemon", unlike Jynx which barely anyone would even guess to be an Ice type.
So in short, Smoochum was more like a one-time homage to the scrapped trio concept.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
This is my attempt at balancing it a bit. Ive changed it a few times over years.
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/art/Fixing-the-type-chart-204921036

Initially I didn't wanna make Water weak to poison because, well you can find a reason to make anything weak to poison, and because a Water pokemon is not made of water or even has to live in it, but merely specialized in Water based attacks.
So I kept the Poison reasoning to technique types...and noticed Dark, the only type besides Normal that doesn't have a real elemental ability or strength, it just plays unfair and uses dirty tricks. And faking a strong immune system wont make health issues go away.

But thinking about it again, and how everyone always first thinks of Water as something that should watch out for Poison attacks, maybe that'd make sense after all, and Water is defensively doing great anyways, so bringing it closer to Grass' "league" would be fine.
I checked out your chart. I think making Normal weak to Poison is an interesting fix, as normal creatures are typically easier to kill off by poison. Dark, however, doesn't make as much sense to me. While it's true that Dark attacks tend to be sneaky in their purpose, I don't believe the Dark-type itself is sneakiness incarnate. I always saw it more in relation to shadows. For instance, I've always thought the reason Fighting was good against Dark was because of "shadowboxing". And Psychic being weak to Dark was because of fear of the dark (same with fear of bugs and ghosts).

Grass taking neutral damage from Flying would be a good change, I think. While I understand that the reason behind it is that birds eat seeds and bore holes in trees, on the other hand wind doesn't kill plants (although strong winds can fell trees). In fact, plants need air to survive, and even create air of their own, so their relationship should make it neutral. As for Steel, I don't think Electric needs to be strong against it; while metal conducts electricity, electricity also powers machinery. Also, Electric doesn't need the weakness to Grass, because you can't kill a lightning bolt with a tree; if anything, the tree will start on fire, so the neutrality to grass attacks makes sense to me. =P That, and Ground attacks are still common enough that Electric-types need to be wary of them. I think Electric is pretty balanced as is, with strength against two types, resistance to three, resistance against three, and is completely stopped by Ground-types.

Giving Ice resistance to Ground is genius, though. Only two types can resist Ground attacks, but both of them are uncommon types. This is a great way of making Ice Pokemon better defensively. Makes sense in reality, too, as the ground gets covered by ice.

Also, Rock does need resistance to Rock; dunno why they haven't done that.

Poison while walking being removed is good, because now it makes perfect sense that pokemon are in a "frozen" state while inside pokeballs, since nothing else ever seems to affect them and they dont recover or anything.
While you make a good point, I still feel like that was taking away an established RPG element: poison affecting your party members with every step. Also, it removes some of the challenge from the story mode.

Not sure about buffing regular poison that way. Turning it into a special will-o-wisp would be overpowered. Although Id love to see a status effect do that, its likely better if its a new one.
Bad poison is just a stronger version of poison, as Toxic spike layers prove.
What I would do instead is perhaps make it lower Sp.Defense? Either way Id apply that to bad poison too then obviously. Would still make regular poison better.
Also, I would make it so that poisoning a poisoned pokemon changes it to badly poisoned.
That's genius. I love that idea. It would certainly differentiate poison more from burn, and so basic poison attacks would be used more often in battle.
Frozen status comes to mind... lowered physical defense comes to mind. lol
There needs to be a Hypnosis like move for freezing.
The only problem with that is that freezing works differently from sleep; while sleep has a set random amount of turns before it wears off, freezing always has a 20% chance of wearing off every turn; you could be really unlucky and never thaw out, which is why freeze is a much rarer condition to inflict than sleep.
Wonderng what new status effect could be the special equivalent of burn... if possible a type that lacks such moves.
Good question. First, it would have to be something equivalent to silencing in Final Fantasy, though not necessarily called "silence"; they're not casting spells, after all. =P Hmmm... maybe it could be something equivalent to paralysis, but only when you're trying to use special attacks. Maybe "unstable" condition? The only thing that makes sense to me, since your Pokemon is trying to call up elemental powers, so I would assume that would require some balance of energy in its body. Like, say you're trying to use Thunderbolt, but there's a chance that you'll be too unstable to use it. Instead of being permanent like paralysis, though, it would wear off like confusion.

But which type should specialize in instability? Fire has burn, Ice has freeze, Electric has paralysis, Poison... well, that's just obvious, Normal (sort of) has sleep, Psychic and Ghost have confusion... good question, indeed.
They've tried keeping evolution methods consistent, by never using an old item to give an old pokemon a new evolution. Otherwise Eevee would have evolved by stone everytime, and every trade+item evo could simply be a trade evo, among other cases, all the way to breeding incenses....
Although Lickitung could learn Rollout and Piloswine could learn AncientPower before Gen IV, so in reality there's nothing stopping GameFreak from making a Pokemon evolve in a way that normally wouldn't have worked in past gens. They could easily just write it off as a new discovery; maybe the Pokemon isn't capable of evolving a certain way until sometime in the future.

Last edited:

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I checked out your chart. I think making Normal weak to Poison is an interesting fix, as normal creatures are typically easier to kill off by poison. Dark, however, doesn't make as much sense to me. While it's true that Dark attacks tend to be sneaky in their purpose, I don't believe the Dark-type itself is sneakiness incarnate. I always saw it more in relation to shadows. For instance, I've always thought the reason Fighting was good against Dark was because of "shadowboxing". And Psychic being weak to Dark was because of fear of the dark (same with fear of bugs and ghosts).

Actually Ghost is much more related to elemental darkness and shadows. Dark is what I call a technique type, like Fighting and Poison.
Just look at the moves. It got everything from the whole party joining for a Beat Up, moves like Thief and Snatch, Taunt and Torment, Sucker Punch, or simply the casual unfair Bite. I could go on and list them all, Punishment, Foul Play, Payback, Fake Tears...and only be left with less than a handful.
Its mean sneaky cheating unfair dishonest way of battling.

The pokemon say a lot too. you got a mafia boss crow, a gangster lizard, a fox that tricks you, a hellhound, hyena, shark, and tengu the wind demon.

But if you need undisputable proof, you just need to check what the Dark type is actually called in the japanese games. A direct translation would be the Evil type.

Grass taking neutral damage from Flying would be a good change, I think. While I understand that the reason behind it is that birds eat seeds and bore holes in trees, on the other hand wind doesn't kill plants (although strong winds can fell trees). In fact, plants need air to survive, and even create air of their own, so their relationship should make it neutral. As for Steel, I don't think Electric needs to be strong against it; while metal conducts electricity, electricity also powers machinery. Also, Electric doesn't need the weakness to Grass, because you can't kill a lightning bolt with a tree; if anything, the tree will start on fire, so the neutrality to grass attacks makes sense to me. =P That, and Ground attacks are still common enough that Electric-types need to be wary of them. I think Electric is pretty balanced as is, with strength against two types, resistance to three, resistance against three, and is completely stopped by Ground-types.

Well I thought, Water is conductive, metal is... and Steel is so very superior defensively that it could use any nerf you can find. If there was some pokemon where it specifically didnt make sense, ala Faraday cage effect, they could perfectly fix that with an anti-Electric equivalent of Levitate.

Grass on Electric was the toughest one and I still feel itchy about actually putting it up.
Just Grass needs any help it can get (its so bad on both sides compared to the other starter types), and it already had a resistance to Electric for some reason, right? So I simply built on that XD...

I went through the pokemon to see what itd affect and figured it would probably be a good adjustment, so I added Poison as a weakness of Water. There are barely any that would gain quad weaknesses because of it (Ludicolo, and Dark guys like Sharpedo if all these changes applied, and lol Bibarel).. Ive considered current pokemon for everything I put on that chart btw. The Grass>Electric one is not really bad. It just gives Lanturn a Swampert-esque weakness lol.
The interesting changes are from Electric>Steel, where it makes Skarmory and Empoleon quad weak, but just general things like Bronzong having a second weakness is something welcome.

Oh and another one you mentioned, Ice being resistant to Water. I had that on for quite some time, but decided that Ground and Dragon are crucial enough, while this is a pointless nerf to Water who isnt the best offensive type or anything.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
The current storyline is what defines the games as they are now. Changing anything but the Protag's age would make the games boring. The goal to new trainers is to take on the league and become a champion. I don't see that ever changing.

I am just curious as to how you think NOT doing the same thing over and over again for each game would be boring.

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Anime Styled Pokemon League Conference would be so totally badass. It can work just like the Elite Four, if the player loses, they restart, you get a randomly selected opponent like the Battle frontier, and you battle your rival(s) at some point in the tournament like the anime.

It'd be perfect, plus a torch runner kind of event before the tournament like in Ash Gray.

3 VS 3 is enough for me, any more than that would be too much and it'd take like 10 mintues just for the 1st actual battling (attacking exchange) to start because you'd have to pick a move for all 4, 5, or even 6 of your Pokemon.

A fully-integrated clothing system. Players can buy clothes for their in-game overworld which would make the whole Wi-Fi experience a whole lot better.

The return of the Wi-Fi Plaza. The Wi-Fi Plaza was a fun feature in Pokemon Platinum and I was greatly saddened of it's absence in Gen 5.

I got more but that's a lot to type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back