• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The duplicate Pokemon glitch.

Gfx

╰☆╮You're Perfect ❤
Years
A couple days ago I found my old Silver file and decided to see what I had. I had 4 Togetics, 6 Feraligatrs and 4 Red Gyrados'. I remember doing the glitch but I forgot what it was. Did anyone else do it on their games or even remember how to do it?

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I changed to box 14(?) deposited the pokemon, then as i was changing box again i would turn off at the P of power.
i guess it would work for any box if it had no pokemon inside it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If you wanted to duplicate a Pokémon, I think you had to deposit the Pokémon from your party to an empty PC box. When it was time to save, you had to turn off your Gameboy immediately to complete the duplication. My cousin showed this glitch to me when I was younger, and I've made a lot of duplicated Pokémon by taking advantage of it. xD If I remember correctly, I think I had about three Typhlosion, seven Noctowl, four Gyarados, and about five to ten Lugia.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Yeah, I cloned my Pokemon a few times using this trick. However, I combined it with the shiny box trick instead. I don't quite remember the method anymore, but one can glitch the DVs from the Red Gyarados onto a second Pokemon. So, sometimes I'd end up with a beautiful shiny Eevee or shiny Mew, though sometimes they would also inherit Gyarados's moveset. Oh well, my G/S are dead now and Crystal is too hard to do box glitches in.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
My cousin borrowed my Crystal once and did the cloning glitch thing but a few days later my save file got deleted. I think it was a byproduct of cloning. I tried the glitch myself in Silver a few years ago when it still worked and I had no problems. I only used it to clone Celebi and Mew tho.

Years
I didn't even care about cloning the Pokemon themselves really, but when I realized you could get them to hold items and they'd duplicate too, I had heaps of Master Balls before I knew it (and a whole army of Meganium and Red Gyarados, too).

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
1) Save game infront of PC
2) Deposit Pokemon(s) in desired box (preferebly empty)
3) Go to Change Box
4) Attempt to CHange Box. When screen says "SAVING GAME DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER..." Turn game off and on.
5) You will be in front of the PC when game turns on.
6) Pokemon that was cloned will be in the PC and your party.

If you're experienced you can do up to 5 at a time.

Years
I used this glitch fairly often to copy masterballs and legendary Pokemon, but this became even more interesting when I found out I could abuse this to get glitch Pokemon and do the celebi egg glitch.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I have never heard of this method, don't see the point of cloning Pokemon other than giving your friends an extra legendary.

I am more interested in how all these glitches were found.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I remember finding out this glitch and wanting to try it. I don't remember everything that I duplicated but I did once duplicated a Gloom and it ended up become a bit of a glitch itself. Its name became a bunch of question marks and it would glitch up my game whenever I tried to use it or something. But for some reason I decided it would be good if I evolved it into a Vileplume. Nothing changed but hey it was interesting.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Yep I used this glitch a few times for my lugia and ho-oh so I could trade them to people instead of giving them away and starting the game all over again

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2020
Hahaha, oh...the memories. I used to duplicate my Pokemon all the time. y the time I had reached the bottom of Mt. Silver, my team composed of a level 76 Feraligatr and another 5 level 15-20 Pokemon. I wanted to defeat Red, an I knew with the team I had I couldn't. So I caught a native Golduck and duplicated it 5 times. I then headed up the mountain and defeated Red, haha.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Hahaha, oh...the memories. I used to duplicate my Pokemon all the time. y the time I had reached the bottom of Mt. Silver, my team composed of a level 76 Feraligatr and another 5 level 15-20 Pokemon. I wanted to defeat Red, an I knew with the team I had I couldn't. So I caught a native Golduck and duplicated it 5 times. I then headed up the mountain and defeated Red, haha.

Why not duplicate your Feraligatr? Wouldn't that be a bit more helpful 'cause not like Golduck has any type advantage over Venusaur or Pikachu

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I used it a lot! I would create "Pokemon Factories" where I would clone a Pokemon holding an item that could be sold for a lot of money about 20 times, then release all of them. I used to think that the people in the town, outside of the Pokemon Center, would think it was rather strange to see 20 of the exact same Pokemon run off into the wild at the same time. I used that to get Porygon. Getting 9,999 coins is ridiculously hard.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
My cousin borrowed my Crystal once and did the cloning glitch thing but a few days later my save file got deleted. I think it was a byproduct of cloning. I tried the glitch myself in Silver a few years ago when it still worked and I had no problems. I only used it to clone Celebi and Mew tho.
Actually, that's likely the battery... but idk, it's possible?

I traded Missingno to my Pokemon Silver, and it turned into a Remoraid. I lost my save file (lots of level 100's).

When I started a new game on two occasions, my save file would vanish every time I had level 100's at the Elite Four, and didn't play for a while. I started to think it was just the battery...

After all, when I started to look for GBC games lately, 90% of them are said to have dead batteries, and don't save anymore.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I never used the cloning glitch on my own game, but I remember reading about it and then teaching my friends how to do it. I think the exact timing of when you needed to turn off the game might have varied by version, though (i.e., it was different in G/S than in Crystal). I might be wrong about that, though.

On that note, why did we even have to save to switch boxes in the first place? I know that the boxes didn't switch automatically (incredibly annoying when you were on a full box and encountered something you wanted to capture), but why were the games designed to have that limitation in the first place?

Back