• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Region Name Speculation v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Cheers for the original title!

Since the last thread died, I figured why not recap on the topic before the region name is officially revealed at some point. So far we know the region is likely to be based off of France or at least Europe in general. Unova was based off of New York / America and while "nova" means new to signify a new region away from the previous four, some people think the name is a creative play off of United Nations o(v) America.

Doing a little digging around the internet, I found a member on another forum thought up the name "Eunon" as a play off of European Union. What do you think?

Have it, folks! What do you think the name of the new region will be? What would you like it to be?

Last edited:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I don't think the name Unova wasn't supposed to be based of America even though alot of the places within the game do resemble it, You add a wild V out of nowhere which just makes me think that is kind of a stab at nothing. If you look up the meaning of the word Unova on Bulbapedia it will tell you that it means "one" or "united" which has quite a good meaning in the pokemon world, especially with the storyline given to use in Black and White.

As for what the possible name could be for the region, it's hard to say really the names of the previous generations have never really gone of anything specific (I am not talking about the actual landscapes of the regions just about the names). I think that it might be something that sounds slightly French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese or German just as a general opinion but this speculation thread is probably one of the hardest ones to put a actual idea together on.

Some people will get all technical and say well actually if you google the region names it gives you the meaning and where what there Japanese/Chinese names mean, but if you actually look at the most it's more just old sayings rather than any relation to an actual place.

Good topic to discuss though!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Eunon wouldn't really be that great imo. I mean sure it's easily pronounced but I feel like it's lacking in something - maybe just that it shouldn't start with e...? I feel like they'll go with something U or R-related for some reason, though!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I don't feel like Eunon or Vilance really roll off the tongue at all, but they do make sense. I will say that with a worldwide release I'm guessing that we might have just a single region name instead of having a different one for different languages.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hm, I dunno, I think the name is going to be pretty unpredictable this time around. There really isn't a set "theme" that GF name their regions, but... Unova can be portrayed as a region that has a particular name that was based of of America. So, they can probably try the same thing with France, or in Europe in general. Fraope? Eurnce? Those are just names combined. But, honestly? They can contest with anything at this point.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
My guess is a silent "s" will appear somewhere in the name and that's as much as I got. I don't really see how predicting a region name is a thing, but I definitely expect French influence.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Its either going to be something vague and French if the region is more of a France based one then European, or its going to have some sort of similar United etymology like Unova if its Europe in general like other said. I'm leaning towards something more concentrated, cause I honestly see Europe getting some regions.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm thinking that the new region name in English would be something like Magvita, which is a combination of great and life in Latin (magnus and vita), like how Unova was named from 'unum novum' which means one new in English.

Sean

Years
I feel that it'll be a very science oriented game, with the name X and Y resembling chromosomes, so I'm thinking along the lines of a word that has a scientific meaning behind it, but it isn't too in your face kind of science.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't think the name Unova wasn't supposed to be based of America even though alot of the places within the game do resemble it, You add a wild V out of nowhere which just makes me think that is kind of a stab at nothing. If you look up the meaning of the word Unova on Bulbapedia it will tell you that it means "one" or "united" which has quite a good meaning in the pokemon world, especially with the storyline given to use in Black and White.
The added v was to replace the sound f makes in the word "of". I didn't actually create that, but it has been one of the many fan-made theories as to how Unova got its name. Bulbapedia also makes reference of this. I was simply referring to it as an example if one wanted to try and do the same for this region knowing it's based off of France/Europe.

One thing that is probably likely to occur, there's probably going to be an o somewhere in the name. :p

Years
How about Savole as a name?

The French word 'savoir' means "to know" (as in knowledge, not 'knowing' someone). Related to words like 'savant.' That's kind of generic enough to be a theme for these games: knowledge, like scientific knowledge.

The 'vol' comes from evolution (tying in the supposed genetics them and Pokemon generally) and revolution (to give it that extra French feel). In both words it comes from a word meaning roughly "to roll or twist." Twist, as in how a double-helix is twisted. (And I think even the word 'helix' is related etymologically.)

It kind of looks French, doesn't it?

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
Aerilyn said:
One thing that is probably likely to occur, there's probably going to be an o somewhere in the name. :p

oh, now thats just crazy talk. i mean, just look at all the regions that don't have it, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova. oh... i see... there is that one region in a pokemon ranger game, isn't there?

Torrentblade

Bring on the flood.
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
....what about something to do with..... dinosaurs?......maybe.....the oreino region, ore=chunks of unsmelted metal usually found around fossils and Ino=dinosaur so..... maybe that would work? oh and roosterman the region your thinking of is called the almia region.

Years
....what about something to do with..... dinosaurs?......maybe.....the oreino region, ore=chunks of unsmelted metal usually found around fossils and Ino=dinosaur so..... maybe that would work? oh and roosterman the region your thinking of is called the almia region.
Someone already beat you to this idea. There's an Orre region in some of the spinoff games.

Torrentblade

Bring on the flood.
Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2013
aww.... thats a shame, i haven't even played the games that are set in that region....

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I got a theory the other day. Region X, and Region Y. Each is altered slightly in region-design based on the game you have, and the name changes based upon the game you have. It also sounds deep, too, because you have to find out what's behind it. Welcome to the X Region, Forever! Here in the Region X we concentrate on... etc. I think it's actually... really likely to happen and I'm not sure why.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hey, I do like that idea~ ^^

Region "X" and Region "Y", huh? Those regions do sound like the have a mysterious air to it. Perhaps those regions of course were named after the legendary pokemon that protects it? Hm. But, I haven't really thought about the possibility that places can be simply be named after letters, but it can be quite cool to see!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
How about the region 'XY'; however, in Pokemon X at first you can only explore the 'X' part of the region and vice versa with Pokemon Y, then like G/S/C/HH/SS with Kanto you can explore the other region after defeating the Pokemon League (which is the same in both games)? Both games could have completely different sets of gyms, and with sixteen types of Pokemon we could actually have a game with a gym for every type?

And finally, just like Red, you can challenge the opposite gender of the sixth gen which before in the NPCs from the other part of the region had talked about being the new Champion or something. Just a thought.

EDIT: I realised I went off-topic and babbled on after the semi-colon aha, sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back