• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon TurquoiseBlue and NavyBlue (Beta 1.0 Released!)

Which version will you play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
He's 13 and he has no experience doing sprites! It's logical they aren't good! Just don't laugh at him, this is the type of message that irritates me, c'mon, he said he will improve that, just encourage him if you want to post, and for saying what you said just don't post! It's very easy to laugh at people when you are relaxed sitting at home with your mobile phone or computer or whatever you use, uh?

Mastamilo, don't listen to him, just do your best, and good luck!

Wtf did you even read my post i WAS SAYING HOW MUCH I LIKE HIS FAKEMONS
And btw im on a phone

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Guys, calm yourselves. @Captain Derp, if you want to be taken seriously, change your avatar, sig, and maybe even your name. Otherwise people will immediately suspect a troll. Despite what people might tell you, looks do have a lot of bearing.:P Also, using proper punctuation and capitalization would help make your post look less trollish/spammy.

@Hiroshi Sotomura and @Mochorro, I know Captain derp and he was not being sarcastic, even though his post may have looked that way.

Now, I don't want to hear any more about this. Okay? Argument done.

Last edited:

Omonox

Pokemon TurquoiseBlue and NavyBlue
Years
Wtf did you even read my post i WAS SAYING HOW MUCH I LIKE HIS FAKEMONS
And btw im on a phone

Thanks for your advice. I put a lot of time into these sprites but they still need a lot of work.

He's 13 and he has no experience doing sprites! It's logical they aren't good! Just don't laugh at him, this is the type of message that irritates me, c'mon, he said he will improve that, just encourage him if you want to post, and for saying what you said just don't post! It's very easy to laugh at people when you are relaxed sitting at home with your mobile phone or computer or whatever you use, uh?

Mastamilo, don't listen to him, just do your best, and good luck!

Thanks for the advice and compliment. I have sprited for about 6 months so I have little experience. I've always wanted to make my own Pokemon though and that's why I made this hack. I hope I can make these sprites better for the final version. Thanks for the encouragment and I hope you do end up playing beta 1 when it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperChespinX

Play Pokemon Shiny Jewel
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 2, 2016
This game is alright like the maps but it just the sprites of pokemon that just need to improve but this is your hack so you can do anything you want to make this game success and put it to the top if you can.

Omonox

Years
This game is alright like the maps but it just the sprites of pokemon that just need to improve but this is your hack so you can do anything you want to make this game success and put it to the top if you can.

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy to say most of the maps are complete. You'll be able to play up to the 3rd gym in the beta and explore 6 routes. The Fakemon aren't easy to make. They are my biggest focus so I hope to improve them. Hope you enjoy this hack.

Well the computer I use to hack is fixed so I'll resume hacking next Monday. This hack will be ready sooner than you think.:)

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
Thanks for the advice and compliment. I have sprited for about 6 months so I have little experience. I've always wanted to make my own Pokemon though and that's why I made this hack. I hope I can make these sprites better for the final version. Thanks for the encouragment and I hope you do end up playing beta 1 when it comes out.

I saw an some updated sprites in one of your screenshots, looks like you have already made a lot of progress compared to your earlier art. Here I see the beginning attempts of outlining and shading.
Spoiler:

For 6 months under the belt I will say with firsthand experience your art is just fine for where you are at. I have been an artist for about 7 years now, so I feel confident in giving advice. (at least that's what I wanted back then, so let me know if you feel otherwise.)

The progress you have made is excellent, But I still see some early artist mistakes I would like to help you overcome. So I would like to show you my twist on it once more, I am in no way calling myself perfect or trying to disrespect your work, I am simply helping a young artist :)
With that aside here we go:
Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/zw5fksL.png
Its not a perfect tutorial but I hope it can teach you a few things. I really respect young artists so I would love seeing what you have done so far.

Keep it artsy,
Smeaaargle

Omonox

Years
I saw an some updated sprites in one of your screenshots, looks like you have already made a lot of progress compared to your earlier art. Here I see the beginning attempts of outlining and shading.
Spoiler:

For 6 months under the belt I will say with firsthand experience your art is just fine for where you are at. I have been an artist for about 7 years now, so I feel confident in giving advice. (at least that's what I wanted back then, so let me know if you feel otherwise.)

The progress you have made is excellent, But I still see some early artist mistakes I would like to help you overcome. So I would like to show you my twist on it once more, I am in no way calling myself perfect or trying to disrespect your work, I am simply helping a young artist :)
With that aside here we go:
Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/zw5fksL.png
Its not a perfect tutorial but I hope it can teach you a few things. I really respect young artists so I would love seeing what you have done so far.

Keep it artsy,
Smeaaargle

Thanks for making that whole tutorial for me. Thanks for the compliment too. When I played the rom on no$gba, the
colors looked a little brighter. I found this problem on the titlescreen too, where on my phone instead of the background being turquoise, it looks blue. The screenshots were not the best color wise but that was a good point, I should make these colors brighter.
I never thought my sprites weren't facing the other pokemon enough. Some sprites I have just show the back of the pokemon's head while others show it looking directly to the right. I'll make sure to use that advice.
Your art looks really good so I really apreciate your tutorial. I hope by the time the sprites are finished that all of the
sprites can look nice. Thanks for the help. :)

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
Thanks for making that whole tutorial for me. Thanks for the compliment too. When I played the rom on no$gba, the
colors looked a little brighter. I found this problem on the titlescreen too, where on my phone instead of the background being turquoise, it looks blue. The screenshots were not the best color wise but that was a good point, I should make these colors brighter.
I never thought my sprites weren't facing the other pokemon enough. Some sprites I have just show the back of the pokemon's head while others show it looking directly to the right. I'll make sure to use that advice.
Your art looks really good so I really apreciate your tutorial. I hope by the time the sprites are finished that all of the
sprites can look nice. Thanks for the help. :)

I've very glad you liked the tutorial, If you ever need help, advice, or just someone to show your work to just leave me a VM :).
Starting art of any kind, digital or physical can be stressful; because not everyone can see your skills and they sometimes they put their standards higher than you can reach. As an artist I have a pretty good idea of your skills and I can truthfully say your exactly where I was 7 years ago. Also sense it seems your computer may have a different way of displaying colors, I recommend sending your work to your ipod and changing any colors you think are off. I had to do this at one point because I was forced to use a very old monitor.

Finally, I encourage you to look at this video, its a 3D Blender tutorial that talks about color but the subject is universal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1FK8n7WgY

see you around,
Smeeeargle

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Starlight City was the name of the first City in Pokemon Spice....

So what, Starlight isn't a really unique name for a city plus many hacks use the classic names like Lilycove City ... names aren't some artwork you can lay claim to. You're even allowed to use same title names like if I wanted to make a Pokemon Light Platinum then I can. Don't criticize the guy over his city names, they're hard to come up with anyways! Remember: romhacking and the distribution of roms is illegal! So can we look down upon you now with shame that you play roms? Lol a little extreme there but I digress.

Anyways, keep up the good work and hopefully you get better with your artwork using that tutorial by Smeargle. If you need any help with scripting or how to insert stuff send me a PM. Good luck on your hack!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
while everyone is focusing on the sprites why does the department store look like that

Because he's 10 years younger than you. Seriously why is everyone trying to pick apart this kid's hack? Give him a few years and he'll be up there with shinyquag and karatekid lol. He's 13 years old, there's no way I probably would have been able to do this at that age. Kudos to you for trying to make a hack mastamilo, don't let anyone discourage you. Seriously tyranitar killer if you wanna help him out don't condescendingly and rhetorically ask a question that'll be counterproductive.

Now with that, I do have some advice mastamilo ... your fakemon sprites aren't the best that they could be. If you want an honest opinion, I suggest you leave out the fakemon for now, practice your drawing a little bit more just to get it down, look at some spriting tutorials (there are a few on deviantart) and then when you feel more confident in your sprites put them back in. Due to the popular opinion (just by this thread alone) the pokecommunity aren't a fan of fakemon, so if not executed right, your hack will not grab the attention of the players that you want. Instead for now while you practice your spriting you could always add new tiles to enhance the graphics in that aspect. There are tutorials for that also (I even have one, check my signature). Also post your maps in the map review thread. People will review them and tell you what they think you should change to enhance the map (and 9/10 times you should listen to them, because those are your players).

Tyranitar Killer

Tyranibeast
Years
Because he's 10 years younger than you. Seriously why is everyone trying to pick apart this kid's hack? Give him a few years and he'll be up there with shinyquag and karatekid lol. He's 13 years old, there's no way I probably would have been able to do this at that age. Kudos to you for trying to make a hack mastamilo, don't let anyone discourage you. Seriously tyranitar killer if you wanna help him out don't condescendingly and rhetorically ask a question that'll be counterproductive.

Now with that, I do have some advice mastamilo ... your fakemon sprites aren't the best that they could be. If you want an honest opinion, I suggest you leave out the fakemon for now, practice your drawing a little bit more just to get it down, look at some spriting tutorials (there are a few on deviantart) and then when you feel more confident in your sprites put them back in. Due to the popular opinion (just by this thread alone) the pokecommunity aren't a fan of fakemon, so if not executed right, your hack will not grab the attention of the players that you want. Instead for now while you practice your spriting you could always add new tiles to enhance the graphics in that aspect. There are tutorials for that also (I even have one, check my signature). Also post your maps in the map review thread. People will review them and tell you what they think you should change to enhance the map (and 9/10 times you should listen to them, because those are your players).
Didn't know that, Its a bit Hard I Know I was giving advice Good Job on him, I'm only 3 years older so It does take a while to get in that

Omonox

Years
So what, Starlight isn't a really unique name for a city plus many hacks use the classic names like Lilycove City ... names aren't some artwork you can lay claim to. You're even allowed to use same title names like if I wanted to make a Pokemon Light Platinum then I can. Don't criticize the guy over his city names, they're hard to come up with anyways! Remember: romhacking and the distribution of roms is illegal! So can we look down upon you now with shame that you play roms? Lol a little extreme there but I digress.

Anyways, keep up the good work and hopefully you get better with your artwork using that tutorial by Smeargle. If you need any help with scripting or how to insert stuff send me a PM. Good luck on your hack!

I honestly never heard of or played pokemon spice. I may be a Rom hacker, but there's a ton of games I have not played yet. Thanks for the compliments and advice. I thought starlight was kinda cool but I know there's a chance somebody else used it.

while everyone is focusing on the sprites why does the department store look like that

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Starlight Gym. I wanted to make it look half gym and half building to blend in with the city but I ended up deciding it didn't look good so I got rid of that. I am yet to update screenshots.

Thanks for your compliment. The fakemon sprites are very important to my hack so I don't think I'm going to get rid
of them right now. I am putting most of my time into sprites, not maps or scripting. If I took away the Fakemon, the whole point of this game would be gone. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don want fakemon in my hack. I can promise you that I will make these sprites look nicer though. That's a good suggestion about the map thread, I will probably do that.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 25, 2015
Well, the kid definitely has determination, I will try it out just for that sake. Keep fine tuning everything as suggested. Practice makes perfect and everyone will be able to see how far you came along if you keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
I would have to agree with Le Pug, i have played a lot of hacked rom's in my day, and i have seen quite a few fakemon as well. I can understand that if you were to take these fakemon out of the game it would defeat the purpose of the hack you are creating. And yes they do need some work and i would listen to Le Pug about posting your maps onto the map review thread, not only will you get advice about your maps but it could also attract more attention for your hack, so don't let others discourage you about your hack. This hack is your own, putting your heart and soul into something that others could enjoy out of you're own time, keep going strong and keep moving forward!.

Omonox

Years
Well, the kid definitely has determination, I will try it out just for that sake. Keep fine tuning everything as suggested. Practice makes perfect and everyone will be able to see how far you came along if you keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Thanks, I am determined to make this hack. All that's left now is to fix up some bugs and sprites so the game will be out soon (May 23rd)

I would have to agree with Le Pug, i have played a lot of hacked rom's in my day, and i have seen quite a few fakemon as well. I can understand that if you were to take these fakemon out of the game it would defeat the purpose of the hack you are creating. And yes they do need some work and i would listen to Le Pug about posting your maps onto the map review thread, not only will you get advice about your maps but it could also attract more attention for your hack, so don't let others discourage you about your hack. This hack is your own, putting your heart and soul into something that others could enjoy out of you're own time, keep going strong and keep moving forward!.

I haven't done the map thread yet but I will probably soon. 99% of the maps are done so there isn't too much for me to do mapwise but I could always get suggestions for future releases. Thanks for the advice.

As you probably know from reading the thread, the first beta I'm releasing will come out on the 23rd but I need some beta testers before it's released. I'm looking for about 5 people who just want to play the beta and give oppinions. The beta will be close to the actual release but not final, so I need some people to actually play and give advice or compliments or constructive criticism. ONLY Pokemon NavyBlue wil be ready for the beta test so sorry about that. Hopefully by the 16-18th the beta will be ready for Beta Testers but I need people like you to apply now. Anybody is welcome, and thanks!

Omonox

Years
Hey if you need help with the hack pm me..I can help you with the sprite's if you want ..and good luck

I think I'm all set for the first release but I will consider your help for future releases. If you know a lot about titlescreen editing or in game map editing that could really help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back