• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions about Pokemon?

Guest123_x1

I have at least two very unpopular opinions about Pokémon as follows:

*The anime went downhill after Misty left: I had gotten so attached to Ash, Misty, Brock, and Tracey as I was watching the Kanto, Orange Islands,and Johto runs of the anime, and was shocked when I read that Misty was going to be leaving the show. Needless to say, I stopped watching it altogether early into the Hoenn run.

*Generations I and II were the best: I started the Pokémon games with Generation I (specifically Yellow), and eventually got all three Gen. II main games, and feel they are good games for newbies to learn the basic Pokémon game mechanics on-even though everybody says the mechanics aren't all that great.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I know people will not agree but I think the diamond and pearl anime series was the best.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
I have a few of those :3 Oddly enough i was just about to make a thread like this until I stumbled across this one! Anyway...

1: Swoobat is one of my favorite pokemon of gen 5. It is so cute and unique, and I have a soft spot for all bat pokemon. Which leads to my next opinion...

2: Zubat doesn't annoy me... to an extent. Yes, swarms of them can be annoying, but I've used several Crobat's in my main quest playthroughs (Heartgold, Pearl, White 2...) and it's a fantastic flying type to have.

3: Gen III is my favorite. The story, towns, pokemon, characters, music... Everything about it was amazing.

4: Gen IV is probably my least favorite story and character wise (though I love every generation) but sinnoh is extremely fun and it has some of my favorite pokemon.

5: I don't get why some complain about wanting to go back to the original 151 pokemon. Gen 1 was amazing for it's time, but I much prefer adding tons of new pokemon to each gen. It makes it more exciting and adds to the diversity. Each gen has at least a handful of loveable pokemon.

6: (Might not be unpopular...) Bug types are my least favorite, right next to rock. I can never make much use of them because they have such poor defensive stats and so many weaknesses. Volcarona and Heracross are some of the only bug types I can tolerate.

I like the new Mewtwo form and the ice cream Pokemon. *Hides behind Garbodor*

I love Vanilluxe!! So underrated :[ The new mewtwo form needs more time to grow on me though... It just feels really random.

Last edited:
Years
My unpopular opinion is that the new Male characters are slowly becoming to look more and more like girls. They are getting longer hair and its annoying. Also I think that it would of been really cool to have used Hugh's sprite as the main character. Hugh just looks better. Another opinion I have is that it was awesome to have pokemon from all Generations pop up in B2W2. Ive been waiting for a game like that forever.

The new mewtwo form looks like a bottle opener.
tumblr_mky3yxwTZ91ry01dko1_500.jpg

Last edited:

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
Wait, wait, wait, people don't like the new pikachu design?
Apparently, I share the unpopular opinion with the OP, I think it's freakin' cute.

I also really love Lucario, which, if I look at this site (and plenty of others), is universally regarded as the most overrated and hated pokémon ever, up to the point where one should consider whether it might just be so hated for being overrated that it became underrated again. And if you like Lucario, then you must either be an 11 year old who's only been into pokémon since the 4th gen, or you must be a tasteless sheep who just follows the trendy pokémon, or whatever. Same kind of story applies with Dragonite, whom apparently everybody thought was too silly and obese and cute to bear the ferocious title of dragon. And Pikachu, whom everyone hates because he's the mascot, but screw that. He's adorable and I couldn't imagine any other pokémon to represent the pokémon series as well as him. And if he weren't the mascot, he wouldn't receive nearly as much hatred.

My favourite generation is the first one. I am not a genwunner though, as I simply cannot imagine a pokémon universe anymore without some of my all-time favourite pokémon like Ampharos, Breloom, Lucario, Riolu, Flygon, etcetera etcetera. I HATE HATE HATE anyone who is, but I hated it even more when I simply opined on another forum that the first was my favourite and got all kinds of nasty hate comments for it. It absolutely hurts to see how much the fandom is damaged by the schism of genwunners and those who despise everything that's first generation. I mean, okay, people always criticise the game mechanics in the first game, and of course there's a lot wrong with it. But all that matters to me are the pokémon that belong to each generation, and whether they have relatable and expressive designs. I can always just use my favourite gen I pokémon in the newer games where the mechanics are balanced.

I also love all the vendor trash pokémon, including Bidoof and Patrat. COME AT ME BRO!

And finally, and this may come as quite a shock to plenty of the people here. I dislike Volcarona. Really, competitively, he's probably awesome and stuff, but I just can't get used to the design. It's so creepy. It must be its red spotted petal wings, its strange white fluff, its lifeless blue compound eyes, and its creepy shape that gives an uncanny crackly sensation in my mouth like I'm swallowing a spider or some other creeper arthropod. I just don't like it at all. It scares me more.

Years
I think that, no matter how hard they try, Gamefreak will never be able to come up with a plot better than Emerald. It was perfect. I mean, sure, battling Team Rocket is always fun and Team Plasma's quest for world domination is exciting and all. But the only story that's ever really catured me is two rival enviromentalist parties fighting for what they believe is best for the environment. And i love that with the help of Steven and Wallace you can show them the error of their ways and they make good. So ever since Gen III I've been waiting for a better story but I'm stating to get a bit skeptical.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Alright, here we go. Earlier generation monsters were better-designed. 'Better' is where my opinion lies, and it seems to be unpopular. Worth mentioning is that there has been an objective shift in design philosophy over time; monster designs have accrued more spikes, stripes and such things. There are actually threads on /vp/ where posters remove these features from official artworks, often yielding appealing results.

I want my first generation Garchomp.

Exactly, as any western professional would tell you this. I also think, however, that there's a cultural difference in play here, too. Japan seems to revel in the ornate, whereas western designs tend to be more simple because of pencil mileage. There's generally a reason why western animation tends to be more fluid/less rigid, but a the same time, doesn't go nearly into the same amounts of detail save for your occasional Disney flick.

Either way, there's no denying the designs got more complicated. Whether or not anyone likes them is up to personal tastes, but I will say this much. A person would sooner do a full, frame by frame no shortcuts animation on their own of Mewtwo than they would Giratina, I don't care how much they might prefer the latter.

I also agree with machomuu in that the series could benefit from at least a mild reinvention. Or I would, but considering the games that star the Pokemon hold higher appeal to me anyway, I almost don't care what the main games do anymore.

Oh boy, there's an unpopular opinion...

I don't like the trainer games compared to everything else on PC. It baffles me that there's not that much more diversity, which you'd sort of expect on a forum this size, but I recognize I'm a minority overall, especially here. :(

Also, Eevee doesn't have half the cuteness Vulpix has. Even stylized in fan art, I still prefer Vulpix. I think it's the overall design. Eevee's like your extreme animu version of a whatever it is, huge eyes and all, while Vulpix at least retains some anatomy. Also, don't bother pointing out that I'm guilty of such things myself, as I am already aware.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Not sure about others but I think Black and White versions 2 is a more logical follow up game than Pokemon Gray. I don't know why people are still complaining over a potential Pokemon Gray, but Considering the theme of monochrome, Black 2 and White 2 fit the theme quite well. Additionally, it wouldn't feel right to incorperate Kyurem as what Team Plasma's aim of capture during the original BW plot. I had a hard time thinking what would happen if that were the case. Also, their version exclusive themes are unique, where Black is technological and White is Rural, but Gray is what?

Last edited:

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
Farfetch'd is an awesome Pokémon.

I also with machomuu that the series needs to be reinvented. I have lost a lot of interest in the main series that I used to have.

Back