• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Faster Text Speed?

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Hi guys!
I was wondering if any of you know how to change the text speed in Pokémon Essentials (using the script editor) so that "fast" is faster?
I've searched around and not found much on this matter, yet I am sure that this can be done as Essentials is a very versatile engine.
I am new to the forums so please don't be too harsh on me if this is in the wrong place!
Thnx in advance!
Miketwo.

P.S. I have a good amount of scripting knowledge (GML, Java etc.) but not too much in RMXP.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
In PokemonOptions, find the def pbSettingToTextSpeed. Ignore the speed==3 line because only speed settings of 0, 1 and 2 can be chosen (Slow, Mid and Fast). Change the returned numbers. Clearly, lower values means quicker text.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
In PokemonOptions, find the def pbSettingToTextSpeed. Ignore the speed==3 line because only speed settings of 0, 1 and 2 can be chosen (Slow, Mid and Fast). Change the returned numbers. Clearly, lower values means quicker text.
Thanks a lot!
Exactly what I wanted.

Sorry to ask another thing, but how do I make the text appear instantly? - Sorry! Found out how! I just needed to use negative values, thnx anyway.

Last edited:
Years

I'm trying to get instant text display working, but when I change the value to anything lower than -1 the game freezes during trainer battles during the "X sent out Y" message. Is there something else I should be editing as well?

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
I'm trying to get instant text display working, but when I change the value to anything lower than -1 the game freezes during trainer battles during the "X sent out Y" message. Is there something else I should be editing as well?
I too had the same problem, and resorted to not having instant messages, I also thought they spoiled the flow of my game.
However, I did find that a speed of -1 was quick enough for me, so I stuck to that. As for instant messages, you'll have to wait for someone to reply here that knows more.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I'm not sure how to fix the "really negative speed" problem. It's caused by pbDisplayBrief messages, which only stay around until nothing's happening (like at the end of an animation). The problem itself appears to be in how the message is displayed, i.e. a fundamental part of the code.

If you don't mind not having a text speed option for the player to change, and just having text be instant, you could search for the phrase letterbyletter=true and make it false instead. Remember to take the setting out of the Options screen.

I agree with Mike about not liking it, though. I tried it in battle, and it's as if the messages are less noticeable. The animating of the appearing text draws your eye to it.

Back