• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character starting point

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do you prefer to make sort of bland / unremarkable characters and potentially let them grow and become special from their experiences over the course of the RP?

Or do you prefer to start out with your character being special in some way and spending your time in the RP learning to handle it or otherwise make use of that uniqueness off the bat?

Which is the most fun for you, or do you tend to mix it up a lot between different RPs? :)

Years
Every character I make has a gimmick, because I myself am bland and unremarkable. Sometimes, that gimmick is "being exceptionally bland", but in my experience that's not as fun.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think I usually prefer my characters to be pretty bland tbh. I then evolve them and shape them and make them get new traits over the course of the RP, or I just show that even if you're unremarkable, you can do remarkable things :3 /cliché

But sometimes, sure, it can be fun to start with a Harry Potter and go the other way around. Or, like in Counting Stars now, purposefully make all characters start off as special and strong.

Years
Do you prefer to make sort of bland / unremarkable characters and potentially let them grow and become special from their experiences over the course of the RP?

Or do you prefer to start out with your character being special in some way and spending your time in the RP learning to handle it or otherwise make use of that uniqueness off the bat?

Which is the most fun for you, or do you tend to mix it up a lot between different RPs? :)

I think you don't have to make them bland / unremarkable from the beginning to make them able to grow. I think flaws are particularly important for this. You can have an interesting but flawed character, and it is those flaws which drive their growth and allow them to overcome their faults. That way, you end up with a special character from start to finish. :)

Of course, you can also have a negative character arc and make the character also gain flaws throughout their journey too.

Last edited:
Back