• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What operating system(s) do you use?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Family Computer: Windows 8 (I don't mind it, I prefer it sometimes.)
My Laptop: Windows 7
My Phone: Droid 4 with Android 4.1.2, once I get a new phone (Moto X) this week 4.2.2 (With a 4.4 update really soon.)
My Tablet: Nexus 10 with 4.3, soon with 4.4.
I haven't rooted and rom'd in a long time. Not worth the trouble anymore.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
Before my computer broke, I used a Windows 8. I'll be getting either XP or Windows 8 his Christmas.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I use Windows 7 on my notebook computer and Ubuntu Linux on my desktop (main) computer.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Let's see...

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop. Windows 8.1 had a very bad time with regard to drivers and hardware with my laptop - I ended up having to recover it to factory condition to get a working machine. Good thing, too, as my boot times has also improved by over 75% even with the same software set. Must have been a messed-up system.

The Microsoft Surface (having now lost the RT moniker) runs Windows RT 8.1, and I feel just fine, even though there was a chance that a failed update could soft-brick my device due to the fact that I did it as soon as it went live. I don't regret upgrading it to 8.1.

My smartphone is stranded on Windows Phone 7.8. I'm thinking of getting a new phone pretty soon, but since it still works and does what it did 1 year ago, I think it can wait.

Guy

just a guy
Years
My laptop is currently running on Windows Vista and is quickly approaching five years since I bought it. Eventually I want to save up some money and upgrade to a MacBook Pro. My iPad is running on iOS 7 though, and I love it.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I was bored, and decided to customise my Tablets' Interface a little bit
I only changed the colours for now, I'll change much more, when I want to.

(Click for a bigger Screenshot.)

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I"m still using Windows XP, so far I have no plans to upgrade. All of the games I play on the computer (Sim City 4 & Hoyle Card Games/Board Games) work best for me on Windows XP. I'm also really good with this OS, I tried vista, worked good but games where to weak [as they are design for older OS].

So what operating systems do you use? - I still use Windows XP, hasn't let me down so far, don't like much the newer ones

Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one? - I don't plan to

And do any of you use a linux distro? - doesn't apply to me, I don't plan on getting any

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Windows 7 baby. 7 is my favourite number and so far, this has been the best iteration of Windows since XP imo

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Oh, I now just realised there were three questions in the TS, my bad.

So what operating systems do you use? - As I said before, I'm a user of almost every OS.
These OSs are the ones I've used in my life, not counting any Virtual Machines, Live CDs, nor Customer PCs.
Linux: Debian 1.1 all the way to Debian 7, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to 12.10, CentOS 5.x and 6.x, Arch Linux, and Linux Mint 5 and 6.
Mac: Anything from 10.6 to 10.9.
Windows: WXP, WVista, W7, W8, W8.1.

Android: Anything since 2.1, only had Nexus Phones and ASUS Transformer Prime tf201.
iOS: 3.x and 4.x.
Windows Phone: 8.
Symbian: I don't remember, I had that Phone for 2 days only.

Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one? - Always when a new Version is available to the Public (or to Developers, if it's OS X), I get it right away, without any thinking.

In my opinion, Windows XP was the worst Desktop OS I worked with.
I mean:
1. Driver Installation was a pain in the arse, and it becomes only harder and harder.
2. Viruses easily enter Windows XP from every possible corner.
3. Weak Multi Tasking.
4. No .doc, .xls, nor .ptt support out-of-the-box.
5. Improper File Manager Navigation.
6. Limited Customisation without the need of any 3rd Party Tools.
7. No choice in Window Managers nor Desktop Environments; you're stuck with what Microsoft gives to you.
8. It's impossible to switch to a different language than the one you installed it in.
9. You can't control the entire OS by Command Line.
10. Weak Permission System; everyone is Admin, when exploited correctly.

And do any of you use a linux distro? - Yes, I used Linux for the first time in the (early) 90s, just after my father let me practice on his MS-DOS PC. Debian was the Distro I used first, and I was fascinated by the ability to use a Desktop, have a Mouse, have multiple stuff running at the same time, etc.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
My desktop runs Windows 7 Home Premium. My laptop runs OSX uhh Snow Leopard? I have no idea what number that is. Might be 10.6. My phone runs Android 4.1.2. I've got a netbook around here somewhere with linux on it... I think it's an ubuntu distro but I don't even remember. I haven't seen it in a year or something.

The media PC we have hooked up to the TV runs Windows 8. I don't think it runs Pro but I only use it to watch Youtube or a torrented video on the big screen because I can't stand Windows 8, so I don't even remember the exact version.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
My laptop runs Windows 8.1, my tablet runs Android 4.4 and my phone runs iOS 7.0.4. Windows 8.1 is okay, though when I installed it for the first time, it made some drivers start acting up and I had to reinstall a few of them.

Years
I'm running Windows XP on my computer, and much like Cassino, if I had to upgrade I wouldn't mind going with Windows 7 (don't really like the Windows 8 on my sister's laptop), but I'm still a fan of XP. It wouldn't surprise me if I have to upgrade in the near future though, as my computer's getting pretty old at this point. I'm also running iOS 6.1.3 on my iPod Touch, which is the final update available for it.
Well... two weeks and a dead computer later, and I've upgraded to Windows 8 (and a surprise iOS 6.1.4 update). Still don't know if I like 8 vs. 7 (or XP), but I guess I'll learn to live with it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
So what operating systems do you use? I use Windows 8.1 Pro at home and at work. I like it a lot and now dependent on some features only found in Windows 8/8.1.

Are you thinking of upgrading to a different one? Maybe when Microsoft releases a new OS. I am content at the moment.

And do any of you use a linux distro? My 5 year old laptop is running Ubuntu 13.10. It works great on that.

Back