• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Identity of Ash's Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Lugia

Author and Role-Player
Years
Well, it doesn't say for certain in anything I know of. I have a feeling that was intended. It does add a bit of mystery. Well, I think that we can assume he is, or was, at the very least, human. If not, then that's too much detail. I can't say they'd bring him back. That'd add some sort of religion to Pokemon, which many authors discourage themselves from doing. As for his human form, it's a rather big mystery. I assume he is not divorced or something of the sort because the series really lacks any of the more problematic issues of real life. He could be dead. However, my guess is that he is off somewhere and that, perhaps, there will be a reunion. It certainly would be interesting. Of course, there is a big chance that this is just something which remains a mystery forever. I'll stick with that last bit. Pokemon is just not too filled with the realities of life, and a "long lost parent" may or may not be pushing that limit.

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
I always had a feeling that Ash's dad was either Giovanni or some other known character, but now I think his dad is a trainer or gym leader in Hoenn or in a future region. I think I remember reading something about his dad being in Hoenn for sure, but I don't know...

igtica

Mmmm....Cheesecake
Years
OUCH! as Av said, please don't double or triple post Pluslechu. It wastes space. Besides you can easily add more to your post through the use of the edit button.

Anyways....Well I don't think that it would be possible for Ho-oh to be Ash's Dad. There are some realistic principles that pokemon stick to, and I think that this would cut this idea out. Though as they say in Cardcaptors "Expect the unexpected now", so you never no I guess, but I think it's highly unlikely. As for Giovanni, again I really doubt it. If it was me i would not like to take the pokemon tale down what could be a complicated path. Especially if you consider possible complication which need to be explained, and wouldn't be suitable for the auidience it's made for.

I ask why just stop at Giovanni and Ho-oh. Ash's dad could be anyone. Though my guess is that it's someone that we have not yet met...maybe never will, or that he's not alive.

orange*berry

Has catching up to do...
Years
yakksoho said:
Thanks very much! I LOVE this pun, it's from such a long time ago (like the 3rd episode i think) but its still so great. Mushimushimushi-ushiiii!!! Hahah I actually go around saying that to people sometimes if someone mentions bugs. LOL.

BTW I got my icon from chuchan on LiveJournal. She makes really great icons, there are more Satoshi ones and some Rocket Dan as well.

TeeHee. X3 That was a terribly cute pun. I adore that episode.

Phoenix Boy: Maybe! You never know. He could have died on his journey, and no one would even know it. x.x That's why I loath his father. *hugs poor, lonely Hanako* I doubt if she adopted him, though. x.x()

Maryland

Loves Lance. Squee
Years
=/ Well, um. My opinion on this...

The Ho-Oh theory may seem stupid and arguementable, but there's actually more evidence to back that up than the others theories...except him being dead. The changing into a human thing makes sense...in an odd way. My friend made a point saying that Gastly did in that one episode. Um. I forgot. Well, there's no way it can be Giovanni. Ash doesn't look like him at all. It really depends on what your opinion is, though.

Ash's dad is probably dead, and if he really was alive, he probably wouldn't care about Ash at all. He's been gone for what, 10 years?

Pluslechu

Uuuh...Corn?
Years
yakksoho said:
Thanks very much! I LOVE this pun, it's from such a long time ago (like the 3rd episode i think) but its still so great. Mushimushimushi-ushiiii!!! Hahah I actually go around saying that to people sometimes if someone mentions bugs. LOL!
Mushimushimushi-wha? 0_o sorry for my stupidity XD

igtica

Mmmm....Cheesecake
Years
Maryland said:
=/ Well, um. My opinion on this...

The Ho-Oh theory may seem stupid and arguementable, but there's actually more evidence to back that up than the others theories...except him being dead. The changing into a human thing makes sense...in an odd way. My friend made a point saying that Gastly did in that one episode. Um. I forgot. Well, there's no way it can be Giovanni. Ash doesn't look like him at all. It really depends on what your opinion is, though.

Ash's dad is probably dead, and if he really was alive, he probably wouldn't care about Ash at all. He's been gone for what, 10 years?
I don't know, people changing into pokemon and vice versa just seems that bit too unreal. Gastly never changed into a person. it was an illusion. That's in the episode 'The Ghost of Madien's Peak' were it creates the illusion of the old woman and the ghost of the madien among other things, but that's as close as it gets. I doubt that Ho-oh could create such an illusion, and that an illusion would actually work in...erm...such circumstances.

Maryland

Loves Lance. Squee
Years
igtica said:
I don't know, people changing into pokemon and vice versa just seems that bit too unreal. Gastly never changed into a person. it was an illusion. That's in the episode 'The Ghost of Madien's Peak' were it creates the illusion of the old woman and the ghost of the madien among other things, but that's as close as it gets. I doubt that Ho-oh could create such an illusion, and that an illusion would actually work in...erm...such circumstances.

=/ You've got a point...I should tell that to my friend. Wait till she hears that. XD

Still though, it could actually be Ho-Oh. I mean, it sorta is the Pokemon god...in an odd way. It did create Entei, Raikou and Suicune, so maybe it could do more than that. But, er...I don't know about other things, though. Otherwise, I find it just quite odd. Like I said, he's probably dead or he probably doesn't give about his family.

igtica

Mmmm....Cheesecake
Years
Maryland said:
=/ You've got a point...I should tell that to my friend. Wait till she hears that. XD

Still though, it could actually be Ho-Oh. I mean, it sorta is the Pokemon god...in an odd way. It did create Entei, Raikou and Suicune, so maybe it could do more than that. But, er...I don't know about other things, though. Otherwise, I find it just quite odd. Like I said, he's probably dead or he probably doesn't give about his family.
aww I didn't want to burst you friends bubble. Just making a point. I see what you mean about the Ho-oh creating the Legendary dogs, but again that's only a legend. And like legends in our own world there may or may not be truth behind it. You just never know ^_^ I guess that's one of the many great things about pok?mon. I love that line at the beginning of the first movie, it explains all:
"Life, the great meaning and the great mystery."

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
My apologies this thread is apparently very old but I found it through a posted link elsewhere and have come up with something that goes with some already existing theories.

One of the popular ones is that Ash's father has passed away and reincarnated as Ho-Oh. There is a way this could be plausible.

Remember the legend which the Silver Conference Torch is based upon? There was once a great war between both humans and Pokemon with several casualties on both sides.
Early on in Ash's journey Vermillion Gym leader Lt. Surge revealed that he had fought in a war where Electric Pokemon had saved his life. Perhaps this is the war Lt. Surge was involved in. The storyteller had only said 'Long ago' which is not precise meaning it could very well have taken place while Ash was in his infancy.
The story goes that Ho-oh had suddenly appeared and destroyed all weapons with it's rose colored flame which ceased the war. I read a clever theory that Ash's father had fought along side Surge but died and added the thought that perhaps he returned as that Ho-oh and is the legendary savior.
It certainly would be fitting, the child of such a man one day rushing in between the attacks of the world's two strongest Pokemon to cease yet another type of war as Ash did in 'Mewtwo Strikes Back'.

There's also another way this can be viewed.
It's outrageous and way over glorifies Ash but I have to admit that it does have some fitting aspects.
This theory reverses the Ho-oh reincarnation. There is another story which tells of Ho-oh or perhaps a Ho-oh(so the one which stopped the war could be a different one) which had lived and vanished from earth 300 years ago when it reincarnated Entei, Suicune and Raikou after they perished in the fire which destroyed the original Tin Tower.

"Ho-oh's fierce anger will only melt away when the hearts of Pokemon and humans meet as one. Ho-Oh sent three pokemon down to earth to observe us...the legend says that humans trying to steal the power of Ho-Oh and all pokemon causing the great fire in the tower, three pokemon were caught in the flames unable to escape on time. Ho-Oh watched in sadness and disgrace."
- For Ho-oh The Bells Toll

It sent the reincarnations of the three pokemon who had perished in the Tin Tower to watch over the earth for the time when Pokemon and Humans would exist together in harmony.
But in wasn't happening, the hearts of humans continued to look upon Pokemon with greed and selfishness as centuries went by. So perhaps Ho-Oh decided that it would need to take further action. So somehow it brought forth a child to the earth which would being the creatures together. There are a number of possibilities such as that it descended to earth in human form (maybe even because Ho-Oh as well is not it's true form) or incarnated a man to father this child or the child itself as it rose it's slaves from the ashes of the tin tower.
Think about it, Ash was the prophesied 'Chosen One' in the second film 'The Power of One', in which he and only he could bring peace between Moltres, Zaptos and Articuno when they had broke out in battle with each other, a battle which would bring destruction upon the earth.
I've not seen all the films but Ash does something pretty huge and profound in most does he not? He always even in the simplest of episodes stands up for a world where Pokemon and Humans stand together does he also not?
A rainbow in the sky is said to be a sign of Ho-oh, that it is watching over the earth continuing it's wait. Doesn't this sound like God? Taking action against the earth's sin, the rainbow at the end of Noah's Ark? Personally I am not heavily into all that myself but it does seem to have a relation does it not?

Like I said though outrageous. If this were actually true I'd say "give me a break!"
The first scenario is much better.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Really sorry since you wrote up such a fine reply, but this thread is 10 years old!! The people who originally posted in it probably aren't even here anymore.

If you had read this section's rules before posting, you would know that we don't revive threads past one month from the last post, let alone a decade.

I suggest you head over to the Pokemon Anime section (should be right below Pokemon General in Pokecommunity's main index) and see if there's an active topic about Ash's father there. If not, go ahead and create a new thread, copy and paste your text from here to there :) But in Pokemon Anime, since it's about Ash.

I will close this old relic now. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back