• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Ash x Serena is already super popular it seems. More so than precious Diode ;~;.

Got a healthy dose of OpticShipping tho so all's good in my world. xD

I'm not sure the writers are intentionally ship teasing Serena and Ash or not. I mean:

1.) We have the newest trailer released today which has her blushing after re(?)introducing herself to him:

Spoiler:

2.) She blushing on the poster looking up at him.
3.) Then we have the whole "They met before somewhere.." thing that appears in her bios alot (and the whole flashback thing of her remembering him in the anime).

Then again, they could just be trolling to get shippers to tune in an see what's up.

Some people might have problems with her though, because they feel she might be "too nice" to Ash. I think some people like it when the main girl shoots Ash down/points out his flaws alot like Misty/Iris did, because they feel it makes them feel more independent/ have more of "bite" or spunk and not an "Ash worshipper" like some folks viewed May and Dawn as.

As for Ash x Clemont, I'm sure it'll catch on eventually. Right now there's just not much to go off of. I can imagine so fun interactions as Clemont tries to teach Ash how to make things, and they bond over those types of things. Clemont is already a gym leader too, so there'll probably be a great deal of respect between them eventually as well (Clemont is apparently the 5th Gym leader in the games) :P

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I read that shot as excitement tbh rather than "blush bc cutie". I didn't see it in the poster though; do you mean the one that was in Corocoro like two issues ago? I may have been too busy concentrating on the Rockets.

I honestly don't see her fawning over Ash. Like, neither did May or Dawn, but I feel like she'll have some more bite to her than they did. Not putting him down all the time, but fighting back when he's being a dumb. She's training to be a Rhyhorn Racer, right? That seems like a tough thing. Which will be interesting, as she's into fashion as well. idk that just suggest she aint taking crap. Also people should stop judging her from some minor info and like three seconds of footage lmao.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I read that shot as excitement tbh rather than "blush bc cutie". I didn't see it in the poster though; do you mean the one that was in Corocoro like two issues ago? I may have been too busy concentrating on the Rockets.

I honestly don't see her fawning over Ash. Like, neither did May or Dawn, but I feel like she'll have some more bite to her than they did. Not putting him down all the time, but fighting back when he's being a dumb. She's training to be a Rhyhorn Racer, right? That seems like a tough thing. Which will be interesting, as she's into fashion as well. idk that just suggest she aint taking crap. Also people should stop judging her from some minor info and like three seconds of footage lmao.

I agree. I think people might be jumping the gun a bit. People who want to ship are all over this, and people who want the girl to be more independent and strong are complaining. Yeah, the first poster that got released showing our first real images of Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont. Though personally, I think the writers are just trolling a bit. And at the very most, it'll be nothing more than some sort of admiration.

The complaining about her role is probably going to get a bit worse because, it's been supposedly been said (not 100% confirmed) in the games that the main rival (the character/gender you don't choose in the beginning of the game) falls in love with the character/gender you do choose. So Serena will fall for you if you choose Calem, and Calem will fall for you if you choose Serena.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Haha I see what you mean on the poster but wow I just think she looks happily determined and is looking toward the centrepoint of the image rather than Ash's bum.

But wow they're doing that in the games whaaaaat. That's an interesting way to go! Ship teasing aside, I really think the older three of this group will just be bffs though, with Bonnie at first trying to get Clemont and Serena together but quickly giving up on that and just adoring Serena as a big sister~

I mean the writers can tease and stir things up all they want, but Ash ain't getting an actual romantic interest. Forever ten, forever immature, forever oblivious.

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
But wow they're doing that in the games whaaaaat. That's an interesting way to go! Ship teasing aside, I really think the older three of this group will just be bffs though, with Bonnie at first trying to get Clemont and Serena together but quickly giving up on that and just adoring Serena as a big sister~

It's not 100% confirmed yet I don't think. It was apparently translated from some part of a review of the game. An Italian reviewer I think?

Anyway, I'm a bit more interested in seeing how Ash is going to interact with Bonnie and Clemont, and their intereactions with Serena. I mean, sure if this Ash/Serena stuff comes to pass I might jump on board, and the fact that she knew him before is different...but in the end Ash is Ash. At the end of the day, his relationships with the main females end up eventually ending in essentially the same place IMO. Mutual respect, and a very close friendship. That's it.

With the secondary male character we've never had one the same age as Ash before, and that could me he'll be just as immature as Ash is in some cases. Which could lead to some interesting interaction between them. The same can be said of Clemont and Serena, or Bonnie and Serena interactions. If anyone will be the one that takes the role of shotting Ash down it will probably be Clemont or Bonnie. Hell, we might get an argument episode based around Ash and Clemont instead of it always being Ash vs Main girl fall out.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
You know , If We consider Ash's personality then the most perfect girl would be someone who has the same personality as Ash's Snivy .
Basically A girl who Cold , Calm , Antisocial & doesn't admit her true feeling.
Thats that type of girl who romantic relation with Ash will play some significant role in the series if she happen to be Ash's Rival.
If I'm allowed for a Cross-Over Shipping then The most perfect shipping would be Ash X Rika (Digimon Tamer) !!!

I don't know what kind of rival Ash will have but I believe Pokemon Anime Meant to have a female rival like Rika Nonaka (Digimon Tamer).
May be , Ash will have a rival like Rika who has a Delphox while Serena's Fennekin remain a Fennekin for Marketing reason .

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Wanna talk analysis? pkmncoordinators is the best ever.

Shipping in the Pokemon Fandom: Author Intentionalism versus Reader-Response Criticism

Shipping is a popular pastime in the Pokemon fandom, to the point where fans must devise and update long, complex lists of all the shipping names just to keep everything straight.

Still, it really is fascinating how such a large group of fans can collectively understand what terms such as "Wishfulshipping" or "Palletshipping" mean when these words are created entirely by the Internet fandom; you don't gain that knowledge by watching the show. It is, in a sense, the creation of a new language; it can be learned, but it's almost exclusively understood by only those in the fandom.

Shipping has also given rise to passionate fans who will defend their preferred pairings tooth and nail. It doesn't happen as much anymore, but occasionally, World War III will break out among Pokemon fans over rival ships and which is the more "canon" pairing (see: Advanceshipping versus Contestshipping).

Then there's fans who scoff at pairs such as Sommeliershipping or Pearlshipping with declarations that they're "just rivals" or "only friends." Other pairs like Ikarishipping are criticized for having "no evidence."

The chaos is at times amusing — and other times, it's a massive headache. It seems that Pokemon shippers often grow frustrated because they can't understand why anyone wouldn't like their preferred ship, because it's so obviously canon.

To them.

In literary criticism, there are two terms that the Pokemon fandom ought to understand: author intentionalism and reader-response criticism.

Now, I know the Pokemon series is not literature. But, it is a form of popular media — making it a form of art, and therefore subject to many of the types of criticism used when studying and analyzing literature.

Author intentionalism refers to the author's intent as it is presented in his or her work. In the Pokemon series, this would raise the question, "What were the writers and animators purposefully trying to convey?" Authorial intent can also pull from secondary sources — that is, sources outside of the show itself — to argue a point. These sources can include interviews with the writers, merchandise, even Pokemon Smash. Anything that isn't the show itself.

It's not entirely possible to know what the authors of the Pokemon series intend in terms of shipping. However, in my personal opinion, there are only three pairings in the whole Pokemon series where the intent of the writers is absolutely clear.

The writers intended Ash to be Misty's love interest, intended Drew to develop feelings for May, and intended Kenny to have a crush on Dawn. Everything else, while some certainly have more evidence than others, is more subjective. But, I believe the above three points are pretty inarguable.

Before anyone angrily jumps on me — 'how dare this blogger claim the legitimacy of these three points and undercut my favorite shippings?!' — you may be surprised to learn that many modern literary critics consider author intentionalism close-minded when it's the sole method used to analyze works. Reader-response criticism is the more popular method of examining works.

If you've ever sat in a high school English classroom and scoffed at something your teacher said because it's "obviously not what the writer intended," you're subscribing to the ideas of author intentionalism. Your teacher, however, likely follows the idea that reader-response criticism is key.

Reader-response criticism focuses primarily on the experience of reader and his or her interpretations or impressions of the work, in contrast to the author and their intentions in writing the work.

In the Pokemon shipping fandom, we would probably call this "shipping goggles." Tons of ships became plausible or even close to canon when we're wearing our shipping goggles. Does Cynthia ship Ash and Paul? Hell yeah she does, thanks to our shipping goggles and reader-response criticism.

It's all about perspective. It's why that one scene in DP186 "Familiarity Breeds Strategy" can be interpreted as either supportive of Ikarishipping, Pearlshipping, or even Comashipping — and any of those interpretations are totally legitimate.

Of course, this doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss authorial intent. Subscribers of reader-response theory vary on their views of author intentionalism, but for the most part, author intent and reader responses are supposed to be synthesized into one analysis. We shouldn't dismiss one and focus solely on the other.

These are just some things to keep in mind the next time you get into a shipping fight, or roll your eyes at someone who supports a less popular ship. Shipping is meant to be subjective, and it's OK to ship things that aren't necessarily what the writers intended.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
You want to know what all Shipping related to Ash is missing ?
You want to know What Personality trait Ash lose even after he reset ??
This pic will tell you everything-

Spoiler:

You see How That Boy teasing that girl ???
Imagine Ash doing that with May , Dawn & Iris !!!
You can't see Ash doing something like that to them. He's too nice after all.
But Imagine Ash doing something like that with Misty .
You can totally see it now , Aren't you ?
Why ???
Because Ash had a different attitude back when Misty was his traveling companion.
That time , Ash had an arrogant, cooky & slightly Sarcastic nature like an average 10 year old Boy .
But Writer slowly erase that to make him ''Mature'' !
Even though They ''Reset'' him in BW Series , They didn't brought back his arrogant laid-back sarcastic cooky nature.
Instate they brought back the part where Ash forget thing & make the same mistake more then twice.
However , I want Ash to regain his arrogant & Sarcastic nature .
Being Arrogant is fine as long as it doesn't become Over-confidence and bring sarcastic is fine as long as he doesn't hurt anyone seriously .
I hope Ash will tease Serena like that sometime ! That way the shipping will be more exciting !!!

Pickle-Spaghetti

Spread the bean buns
Years
I have to admit, I really am starting to like the Ash x Serena shipping. I think they'd bounce well off of each other, and i think Ash is mature enough now for a girlfriend. Wonder if they'd ever kiss? Probably too early to be thinking about that though

Years
Ash x Serena is going to be a major powerhouse at this rate. Anime spoilers are below.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pickle-Spaghetti

Spread the bean buns
Years
Oh my. I am not ashamed to say that i just said ooo la la to those pictures xD I think they are positively adorable and i shall make fanart of them immediately

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Serena acting too formal toward Ash .
She's Ash's childhood friend So I don't like the formality.
I would like to see Ash remember Serena though a embarrassing memory which cause Serena to get angry.
Anyway

-Can we expect that Serena use to be bully by other Kids and Ash use to protect her which is why she remember him?

-Is it possible That Ash & Serena promise to marry each other like a typical ''Childhood friend'' plot ??

-Do anyone like to see Serena & Korrina start fighting over Ash ???

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I think it's fine for her to behave semi-formally. They haven't seen each other in years, and we don't know how well they knew each other at all. She's a cutie for sure~ still shipping Diode more esp after new sneak peeks ngl

Pickle-Spaghetti

Spread the bean buns
Years
*cough cough* eh hem well I also can't help but ship the diodeshipping too, ehehe. I mean, they are pretty adorbs

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I think it's fine for her to behave semi-formally. They haven't seen each other in years, and we don't know how well they knew each other at all. She's a cutie for sure~ still shipping Diode more esp after new sneak peeks ngl

Yeah I'm excited for both ships Ash x Serena and Ash x Clemont. Though I do want the characters to have traits, goals, and independence beyond shipping. If that's all Serena is here for example, then no thanks. Of course there are a select few, that are already complaining that she's only here for fanservice, fashion or to be Ash's "waifu" when the episodes hasn't even aired yet. I guess they want her to be more like Iris. Eh. Iris wasn't my cup of tea, to say the least.

Anyway, I can't help but feel like both ships may (or may not be) thrown for a loop in some fashion. I mean for all we know Serena could get a rival (Drew 2.0) that she gets paired with, she might be paired with Clemont, or the person in her flashback wasn't Ash at all. The same applies to Clemont and any rival he might get. Granted, I don't mind Serena x Clemont either.

Last edited:

Pickle-Spaghetti

Spread the bean buns
Years
Hmmm.....Serena x clemont sounds interesting. I see what you're saying, but i don't think Serena's just there for shipping, I'm sure she has goals and what not :3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh Serena's certainly not there just for shipping. I really think the writers have learned their lesson about having a main girl be a sidekick rather than a main character with goals of her own.

Sorry guys totally dropped everything for X but I really really hope Trevor and Tierno are in the anime because they're really cute and SO MARRIED oh my god I've never had a game!OTP but Acaramelado

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Somebody forgot to post this here

Spoiler:

You know ,
It would fun if Ash remember Serena though some embarrassing memory which cause Serena to punch him where him mention it .
Such as -

Serena : Ash , Do you remember me , I'm serena !!!

Ash : S.E.R.E.N.A ........... You mean the Crybaby I use to Pl.........

(Serena punch Ash)

Serena : WHO YOU CALLING A CRYBABY, BAKA !!!!

Ash : Yep , You're her alright !!!

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Young Ash and Young Serena holding hands! :D

tumblr_mut7yfuELS1r8sc3ro1_1280.jpg

My guess its that Serena was hurt so Ash help her walking by holding her hand .

Oh Serena's certainly not there just for shipping. I really think the writers have learned their lesson about having a main girl be a sidekick rather than a main character with goals of her own.

Sorry guys totally dropped everything for X but I really really hope Trevor and Tierno are in the anime because they're really cute and SO MARRIED oh my god I've never had a game!OTP but Acaramelado

I think its the opposite .
Because writer didn't treated Iris like a Sidekick , They tried to treat her like a Main Character with goal.
I think that was the problem , They tried to make Iris a Main Character .
If she was a referring character then her character would have got better development then she did in Anime . (Example PokeSPe)
I watched a lot of Kids Anime which are in same category as Pokemon .In those Anime , A Female cast job is to be ether-

-Be a ''Love Interest'' of the protagonist.

-Help the protagonist in saving the world & fight Bad guys.

Thats how Pokemon Original Kento series Worked and thats when Pokemon receive its best Rating .
I mean Forget about Misty being a Main character , She didn't even had a ''Stable Goal'' until the 2nd half of Jotho series.
Before that , Her job was to help Ash & be his ''Love Interest'' .
But That didn't hurt Pokemon popularity back then , Didn't it.
Pokemon Kento series still consider to be best despite all other series had Main female character with a goal.
So , I think Pokemon Director learn their lesson from that .
So , I think thats the reason why Pokemon Anime is pushing Serena more as a ''Love Interest'' .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back