• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Plot Bunny Thread

Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
Years
So I have two ideas, and one involves something people might call a 'fetish' (though I don't consider it to be one.)

Years
journey fics and stuff

Hey! I originally come from another forum to write fanfics and I am trying to get back into it. So if my questions are familiar, that's why. Plus I have others I haven't asked.

So um years ago there was this fic I saw called Max's New Adventures to where Max goes on his journey and I thought it was a cool fic. At first it sparked the idea of Jupiter going on a journey after leaving Team Galactic but that failed. Now reeading it, plus watching the DP and unova anime episodes, it kinda sparked an idea of Paul going on a journey to Unova to compete in the Unova league plus trying to defeat his rival, Trip (yes that Trip lol) plus has run ins with Team Plasma (aka Team Pathetic as he calls them)

However I'm not working with a newbie trainer like say... Max, so how can I go about this?

Pure Essence

Years
Basically one is a Choose Your Own Adventure thing where people vote on what happens next
Other is a transformation-based story

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If it puts your mind at ease, the Pokemon fandom has written a lot of transformation-based stories. The genre is (was?) known as Pokémorphs, where people are turned into Pokemon to varying degrees of success. I don't know how popular those stories are now, since it seems like authors tend to drift more to Mystery Dungeon for that. But I'm just saying that transformation-based stories aren't going to be looked down upon just because they deal with transformation.

What are your ideas about? So you want to write a transformation-based story. Who are the characters? What's the problem they'll be going through? What are you going to be exploring in this story?

Pure Essence

Years
So basically I need to figure out a few things but the basic plot is an Eevee somehow evolves it's trainer into an evolution of it

Bay

Years
So basically I need to figure out a few things but the basic plot is an Eevee somehow evolves it's trainer into an evolution of it

I'm confused what you meant by that? You mean the trainer transforming into one of Eevee's evolutions?

As for your Choose your Adventure idea, can you give more details about it? I know before there were a few of those fics popped up here.

Hey! I originally come from another forum to write fanfics and I am trying to get back into it. So if my questions are familiar, that's why. Plus I have others I haven't asked.

So um years ago there was this fic I saw called Max's New Adventures to where Max goes on his journey and I thought it was a cool fic. At first it sparked the idea of Jupiter going on a journey after leaving Team Galactic but that failed. Now reeading it, plus watching the DP and unova anime episodes, it kinda sparked an idea of Paul going on a journey to Unova to compete in the Unova league plus trying to defeat his rival, Trip (yes that Trip lol) plus has run ins with Team Plasma (aka Team Pathetic as he calls them)

However I'm not working with a newbie trainer like say... Max, so how can I go about this?

Hi there! You mentioned wanting this thread be moved here, which is totally fine!

As for your idea, Trip and Paul interacting does sound like a very fun idea. I take you worried about Paul streamrolling the beginning gyms with him being an experienced trainer? I can see Paul getting ahead of himself and a few of the Unova gym leaders giving him a hard time. I think the premise you have here sounds fun, just make sure you have Paul' characterization developed naturally.

Years
Hi there! You mentioned wanting this thread be moved here, which is totally fine!

As for your idea, Trip and Paul interacting does sound like a very fun idea. I take you worried about Paul streamrolling the beginning gyms with him being an experienced trainer? I can see Paul getting ahead of himself and a few of the Unova gym leaders giving him a hard time. I think the premise you have here sounds fun, just make sure you have Paul' characterization developed naturally.

In this idea most of the characters give Paul a hard time, even Colress ;p

Anyway my original idea was that Paul travels to Unova to enter the unova league and meets a girl who helps him through the process, however, because of her free spirit personality and that she doesn't most things seriously, he had no interest in communicating with her. That and because she thought he was a rookie trainer due to him having no unova badges. However after overhearing that this annoying trainer was a battle tower boss trainer from Black City and the leader of her local battle club, he quietly follows her to watch her battles.

Of course he runs in with Team Plasma, like I kinda wanted to pull some events from the game like Ghestis trying to control Kyurem again and freezing half of Unova in which the cast tries to stop him in which Paul and Ghestis have a battle.

I guess one question I have in my mind is, is it reasonable for a character to catch a legendary Pokemon? Like in the middle I had the idea that Paul would capture either a Cobalion or a Terrkion but I'm not sure if that's reasonable. Please help ><;

Pure Essence

Years
I'm confused what you meant by that? You mean the trainer transforming into one of Eevee's evolutions?

As for your Choose your Adventure idea, can you give more details about it? I know before there were a few of those fics popped up here.

For the first yeah
For the second, a trainer starts his journey and what evens happen next are based on by comments

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I guess one question I have in my mind is, is it reasonable for a character to catch a legendary Pokemon? Like in the middle I had the idea that Paul would capture either a Cobalion or a Terrkion but I'm not sure if that's reasonable. Please help ><;
Forgive me for only focusing on this part of your posts, but my mind isn't working that great right now. To answer that question, since you're working in the canon of the anime, I don't think you can get away with Paul catching a legendary Pokemon. The anime treats legendary Pokemon like they're big deals. They have so much power, and treating them like regular Pokemon can be terrible for the world. All the times I can think of where legendary Pokemon were captured for one reason or another were all times where the world was nearly destroyed.

You can have Cobalion or Terrakion working alongside Paul if their goals align. But actually having Paul capture them in Pokeballs and using them wouldn't work that well in the anime canon.

For the first yeah
For the second, a trainer starts his journey and what evens happen next are based on by comments
With the CYOA story, you can check out the only one that I've seen that was really successful. Seeing how Cutlerine handled it can give you some idea of how your thread can go, and how you can handle the different ways readers can take your story.

Pure Essence

Years
Forgive me for only focusing on this part of your posts, but my mind isn't working that great right now. To answer that question, since you're working in the canon of the anime, I don't think you can get away with Paul catching a legendary Pokemon. The anime treats legendary Pokemon like they're big deals. They have so much power, and treating them like regular Pokemon can be terrible for the world. All the times I can think of where legendary Pokemon were captured for one reason or another were all times where the world was nearly destroyed.

You can have Cobalion or Terrakion working alongside Paul if their goals align. But actually having Paul capture them in Pokeballs and using them wouldn't work that well in the anime canon.

With the CYOA story, you can check out the only one that I've seen that was really successful. Seeing how Cutlerine handled it can give you some idea of how your thread can go, and how you can handle the different ways readers can take your story.
Okay, and also. Ash really needs to get a legendary to hold the audience. This could be just a UB and that would be fine, but just please have him catch the legend.

Years

Off topic, that fic was good!

On topic: I am also working with the game world as well so I am kinda mixing them together. Which is why I asked.

semi

the magnificent steiner
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Hello!

I've very recently come up with this idea for a fic. I'm down with a first chapter, and specifics on where exactly I want my plot to go in the next few chapters or so. My major issue so far is naming the story - and why is this? Well, I don't know exactly what the story's main focus will be. These are my two options:
1. thorough exploration of the Pokémon science which deals with gifting humans with the ability to use Pokémon moves via experimentation
2. part of Lysandre's life, up until x/y game plot or near it

Actually, any additional suggestions are welcome.

If I choose to go with option 2, I'm certain that the title of the story will be A Beautiful World, or something along those lines. Any feedback on the subject would be highly appreciate, as I hope to post the first chapter as soon as possible, with a finalised title and an idea of where my story will continue once Lysandre's laboratory era is up.

[For a basic summary, open spoiler.]
Spoiler:

Bay

Years
Hm, after checking your summary sounds like Lysandre will still be the main focus of the story, so I would definitely go "A Beautiful World" there! Only thing is maybe someone might take that title for a Lysandre fic, but then again "A Beautiful World" fits him very well.

Spoiler:

semi

the magnificent steiner
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Agreed with that. It is likely that I will not go with that title after all. Anyhow, thank you for the advice! It was much needed and I'm glad for it :^

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2019
Hello!

I'm rather new to writing pokemon fanfic (in other words, this is my first) and I was hoping for some thoughts on an idea.

So, the basic premise is that an eleven-year-old boy from a world where pokemon don't exist (not just that they don't have pokemon - the entire concept doesn't exist, even in games) suddenly ends up in the pokemon world, Hoenn to be exact. He finds out that the pokemon world has legendaries that could possibly help him find a way back home (Jirachi, Arceus etc) and decides to go on a pokemon journey (since that's the only way an eleven-year-old could travel on his own without supervision) to find a legendary that could help him home.

You can see a more detailed plot (plus a lot of questions) below

Spoiler:

I've actually planned things out to day 351 which is about when he leaves Hoenn for Sinnoh (that's still only about a third or so of what I want to write, plotwise) but I wanted to check if the idea was alright before planning further.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:
Years
Hello!

I'm rather new to writing pokemon fanfic (in other words, this is my first) and I was hoping for some thoughts on an idea.

So, the basic premise is that an eleven-year-old boy from a world where pokemon don't exist (not just that they don't have pokemon - the entire concept doesn't exist, even in games) suddenly ends up in the pokemon world, Hoenn to be exact. He finds out that the pokemon world has legendaries that could possibly help him find a way back home (Jirachi, Arceus etc) and decides to go on a pokemon journey (since that's the only way an eleven-year-old could travel on his own without supervision) to find a legendary that could help him home.

You can see a more detailed plot (plus a lot of questions) below

Spoiler:

I've actually planned things out to day 351 which is about when he leaves Hoenn for Sinnoh (that's still only about a third or so of what I want to write, plotwise) but I wanted to check if the idea was alright before planning further.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this concept. If you want in-game logic a year sounds fine, although you could always extend it slightly if you want it line up with more real-world realism.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2019
I would rather take a realistic approach... though now I'm going to have a bit of trouble with having him train his pokemon without it seeming like unnecessary fillers.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'm glad you don't think the concept's fine!

(I've just read the guide on what not to do while writing fanfics (forgot what it was called :() and, I have to admit, I panicked a bit when I saw there was a section on 'having a real-world character drop into the pokemon world. Since, yeah, that's basically what I'm doing, though hopefully in a different manner as to what the writer meant.)

Bay

Years
I would rather take a realistic approach... though now I'm going to have a bit of trouble with having him train his pokemon without it seeming like unnecessary fillers.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'm glad you don't think the concept's fine!

(I've just read the guide on what not to do while writing fanfics (forgot what it was called :() and, I have to admit, I panicked a bit when I saw there was a section on 'having a real-world character drop into the pokemon world. Since, yeah, that's basically what I'm doing, though hopefully in a different manner as to what the writer meant.)

If you're worried about your characters training Pokemon being filler, you can perhaps have each Pokemon get a mini arc of sorts over what they have to overcome. For instance, one Pokemon get anger management issues, another Pokemon trying to learn a new move, etc. The team listed seems fine, though I'm worried how many Pokemon you'll have to juggle there even though you said some will leave at some point.

As for that guide...I'm gonna be honest, that guide is so old and reeks elitism hahaha. The character drop into the Pokemon world maybe done loads of times, but it's all in the execution. If that's what you want to write, go ahead!

Back