• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oscar Pistorius faces murder charge

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
BBC News said:
South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is facing a murder charge after his girlfriend was shot and killed at his Pretoria home.

His arrest over the death of model Reeva Steenkamp has stunned the country where he is considered a national hero.

The 26-year-old is due to appear in court on Friday.

Mr Pistorius made history in London last year when he became the first double-amputee track athlete to compete in the Olympic Games.

He is known as the "blade runner" because of the carbon fibre prosthetic blades he races in. He was born without a fibula in both legs and had his legs amputated below the knee before his first birthday.

Police were called to his home in the upmarket Silver Woods gated compound on the outskirts of South Africa's administrative capital in the early hours of Thursday morning.

They found paramedics treating a 29-year-old woman with four gunshot wounds to the head and upper body. She died at the scene, and officers recovered a 9mm pistol.

Early reports suggested Mr Pistorius might have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder.

Police say neighbours heard screaming and shouting around the time of the shooting, and that they had been called to investigate incidents of a domestic nature at the same house in the past.

Linky linky link.

Some Valentine's Day, huh!?

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I was disappointed to hear about this because I cheered for him more than anybody else during the Olympics. My friend and I both have shirts with the South African flag on them that say "The Fastest Man On No Legs". I should call him to see if he knows.

But yeah, this was really, really unexpected, to say the least. I was more surprised at the culprit than the crime.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
It's sad seeing someone fall from grace the way Pistorius just did. I was rooting for him during the Olympics and he seemed like a great role model, one who didn't let his disabilities stop him from competing at the highest level.

Ironically, here's an ad Nike made for him that they ended up removing shortly after the incident:

Spoiler:

Honest

Hi!
Years
I was really sad to hear this. To think someone who people cheered could fall so low. Sadly it happens more often than we want it to.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Ugh. He got bail, somehow. I... refuse to believe that's legit. Must've been some money gone around somewhere - most likely to the media to help push the idea that he thought his girlfriend was a burglar since, iirc, that was never a statement which he actually gave himself. This is... very annoying.

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
At least he can't get out the country. He's back at court in June.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I don't really like how the media's taken this story. It's as if they're trying to hype it up to be another OJ case, except it's simply not that potent. Maybe when the trial starts I'll be proven wrong and they'll televise it or something, but until then this picture sums up the entire ordeal nicely.

Spoiler:

Years
That picture is one of the best examples of "a picture's worth a thousand words" I've seen in a while.

I wish stuff like this didn't make it into the news. I had the news playing for a couple of hours yesterday and every hour they devoted 5-10 minutes to tell you about the latest whatever and have some person who knew him talk about him and blah blah blah. Just leave it alone. People shouldn't be tried in the court of public opinion.

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Now Pistorius' brother Is facing a murder charge.

Back