• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
An event editor, eh? Looking forward to see what that can do. By the way, how's the HGSS support going?

I also have a question about the 3D mapping (with 3DS Max and such) process. I have converted the .nsbmd files of some HGSS maps by using Spiky's Map Converter (not this tool, but the one released before), and I want to convert them to .obj so 3DS Max can open them, but nsbmdtool will not open it, let alone convert it (it will open DPP maps, but without textures and I have no idea how to convert them). MKDS Course Modifier won't do the job for me either. This is what I get:

C\Users\(Username)>nsbmd.exe nbt.nsbmd (this is the New Bark Town map)
glhi: GLHijacker starting up...
glhi: will load c:/winnt/system32/opengl32.dll on first OpenGL/WGL call.
DEBUG: file size = 000040dc <16604>.
DEBUG: file is not BMD0.

If anyone could help me, I'd be delighted.

To extract the layout model of the map, you will need a hex editor. First of all... open up your hex editor, go to File > New, then File > Open and open the map file that you want to extract the layout model of the map from. Then after that... select the bytes from where it says "BMD0" in the text view all the way down to the byte next to where it says "BDHC". But if it doesn't have "BDHC" anywhere in the map file, keep a lookout for any text that has some Euro cent signs on it, if you see it... look for the "20 00 20" bytes in the hexadecimal area, as they indicate the header for the next area. After you've done that... copy and paste it onto the new blank file you made earlier.

I hope that helps, I'm sure it will help you with any future model extracting from ROMs. ^^

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
To extract the layout model of the map, you will need a hex editor. First of all... open up your hex editor, go to File > New, then File > Open and open the map file that you want to extract the layout model of the map from. Then after that... select the bytes from where it says "BMD0" in the text view all the way down to the byte next to where it says "BDHC". But if it doesn't have "BDHC" anywhere in the map file, keep a lookout for any text that has some Euro cent signs on it, if you see it... look for the "20 00 20" bytes in the hexadecimal area, as they indicate the header for the next area. After you've done that... copy and paste it onto the new blank file you made earlier.

I hope that helps, I'm sure it will help you with any future model extracting from ROMs. ^^

Thanks! But Spiky already helped me out, it turned out HGSS maps exported by the program were bugged, and it would be fixed in the new release. But I'm sure this'll be useful if I ever try out BW/B2W2 (or any other game for that matter) maps, or to anyone else who wants to ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Thanks! But Spiky already helped me out, it turned out HGSS maps exported by the program were bugged, and it would be fixed in the new release. But I'm sure this'll be useful if I ever try out BW/B2W2 (or any other game for that matter) maps, or to anyone else who wants to ;)

What exactly are you gonna do with the maps?? A new game??

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Nice how is it going right now and can you make a r/s/e remake with hgss

Well, I've only just started, so umm...I can't really say how well it's going, but I know for sure this and PPRE are going to be my main tools. I'll leave a R/S/E remake to someone with more experience.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Well, I've only just started, so umm...I can't really say how well it's going, but I know for sure this and PPRE are going to be my main tools. I'll leave a R/S/E remake to someone with more experience.

Nice but can you tell me how the hack gonna look like??

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Nice but can you tell me how the hack gonna look like??

Well, I really have no idea, I usually create it while building the maps and the Pokémon and the like. But let's not make this topic a chatroom.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Well, I really have no idea, I usually create it while building the maps and the Pokémon and the like. But let's not make this topic a chatroom.

ok my last question are you gonna make complete changes of the maps??

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I have a new version for you! The most important updates are:

• Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver support
  • Improved matrix editor (now saves correctly and loads way faster)
  • Repositioned buttons in the map editor (and added a new one)
  • Flag and event editors
You can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?kq77b55j47mr18l

Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts and problems :)

Platinum Lucario

Years
Oh, yay! Another new version! I'm gonna start using it right away and start testing it out on HeartGold and SoulSilver. ^^

Btw, I have been using the 3dvia screenshot method on NSBMD and opening it up in 3ds Max, for the B/W and B2/W2 maps. But the problem is... the textures are so small... that you have to go through the effort of resizing the materials in 3ds Max.

Just wondering... is there any way to doing it so that the materials remain at the same size on the polygons?

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Oh, yay! Another new version! I'm gonna start using it right away and start testing it out on HeartGold and SoulSilver. ^^

Btw, I have been using the 3dvia screenshot method on NSBMD and opening it up in 3ds Max, for the B/W and B2/W2 maps. But the problem is... the textures are so small... that you have to go through the effort of resizing the materials in 3ds Max.

Just wondering... is there any way to doing it so that the materials remain at the same size on the polygons?

Well, I have taken the map thing one step further and now you can export map models with textures (it asks you for the tileset to use). The only reliable method I know for keeping textures in MKDS Course Modifier, but I'm not entirely sure if the current version has NSBMD to OBJ enabled yet. Models converted with that tool keep their textures if imported into Sketchup or Blender, for instance.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Well, I have taken the map thing one step further and now you can export map models with textures (it asks you for the tileset to use). The only reliable method I know for keeping textures in MKDS Course Modifier, but I'm not entirely sure if the current version has NSBMD to OBJ enabled yet. Models converted with that tool keep their textures if imported into Sketchup or Blender, for instance.

Well, I just checked MKDS Course Editor and it seems the NSBMD to OBJ is still disabled. Maybe you could provide an open source code for the tool, so that future developers could actually create a converter for NSBMD to OBJ, or OBJ to NSBMD. 'Cause it would indeed help. ^^

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I think, if memory serves, the version that can convert NSBMD to OBJ is beta. But if you ask the author of the program if he can release a standalone converter, that'd be rather useful. And tell him to get rid of that annoying box it places under the model.

I'm currently testing map conversion, but for reasons, the map, when loaded, crashes the game. I'm trying to find out why.

I'll try asking him, we may be lucky :)

Today I noticed a small bug in the model list that prevented it from showing data. It's now fixed. If your tool shows "1.1.0", redownload it please. It should say "1.1.1". Thank you.

Platinum Lucario

Years
if i want to fully edit maps how should i do??

Where it says "3D Model", click "Export with Textures" to save the map as .nsbmd, after that... convert the file into an .obj file with MKDS Course Modifier. Even if it's made for Mario Kart DS, it works for any Nitro System Build Models (.nsbmd, .bmd0). I've just converted Nuvema Town into an .obj using that tool.

Once you've converted the map, open it with Autodesk 3ds Max 8, after editing the map, save it as an .imd file using the Nitro Plugin for 3ds Max (which you can search for it on Google), which you can then open up with NNS 3D Material Editor (again, you'll have to search for it on Google), and there's a tool to convert the file into .nsbmd.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Where it says "3D Model", click "Export with Textures" to save the map as .nsbmd, after that... convert the file into an .obj file with MKDS Course Modifier. Even if it's made for Mario Kart DS, it works for any Nitro System Build Models (.nsbmd, .bmd0). I've just converted Nuvema Town into an .obj using that tool.

Once you've converted the map, open it with Autodesk 3ds Max 8, after editing the map, save it as an .imd file using the Nitro Plugin for 3ds Max (which you can search for it on Google), which you can then open up with NNS 3D Material Editor (again, you'll have to search for it on Google), and there's a tool to convert the file into .nsbmd.

So i can make a complete game with fully edit maps??

Back