• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to insert trainer sprites using NSE 2.X

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Here's a tutorial that teaches you how to insert Trainer Sprites using NSE 2.X

Requirements
-NSE 2.X
-MS PAINT
-INFRANVIEW
-VBA/NO$GBA
-A brain! :)

First you must have a Trainer Sprite be sure that's it in 64x64 pixels.
Spoiler:

Then next step is to pick a background that's found nowhere in the sprite.
Spoiler:

Save.

Then time to make it 16 colors, open up your sprite in Infranview.
Spoiler:

Now Open up the 16 colored sprite with Infranview
Spoiler:

Now open both sprites in Paint.
Spoiler:

Next Inserting the Sprite.
Spoiler:

Testing Time
Spoiler:

Credits:
link12552

Last edited:

BlankPoints

Dumb Apples
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 3, 2023
nice tutorial :D, this would really help me since I don't like unlz that much.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Nonono you forgot an important thing in your tutorial. While indexing you MUST DESELECT that "Use Floyd-Steinberg dithering" as it adds useless dithering and pixel clusters to your sprites which practically looks ruined if zoomed in to the sprite. Other than that, you made an easy-to-follow tutorial and it might help a few learners.

And important notice: Copy-pasting the real stuff in Paint as described in the Ctrl + A and Ctrl + C thing is wrong. The Windows 7 version of MS Paint does not allow such indexing. I recommend using GIMP as it provides useful tools for working with already indexed sprites.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
nice tutorial :D, this would really help me since I don't like unlz that much.

Thanks, Glad you liked it! :D

Nonono you forgot an important thing in your tutorial. While indexing you MUST DESELECT that "Use Floyd-Steinberg dithering" as it adds useless dithering and pixel clusters to your sprites which practically looks ruined if zoomed in to the sprite. Other than that, you made an easy-to-follow tutorial and it might help a few learners.

And important notice: Copy-pasting the real stuff in Paint as described in the Ctrl + A and Ctrl + C thing is wrong. The Windows 7 version of MS Paint does not allow such indexing. I recommend using GIMP as it provides useful tools for working with already indexed sprites.

Sorry, I don't have GIMP... :( (I don't know anything about it only know MS PAINT xD)

And I don't have Windows 7 yet, I'm using my old computer which has Windows XP and also your right in that Floyd-SteinBerg dithering thingy, also I still don't know in Windows 7 if you can't really copy past the sprite over the other one, so maybe this tut is for Windows XP and Vista only lol :P

But even though you don't do that your sprite is still indexed btw, And also I made this tutorial for hackers that don't like using UNLZ in inserting sprites... :)

On the first place I didn't even want to post a tut on Indexing and go straight to inserting sprites, But I changed my mind cause I see myself b4 what if I were those newbies? xD

Also if you guys think that my Indexing tut is hard, you can use other peoples tut on Indexing Sprites, thank you! :)

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Actually I meant that in MS Paint Vr Windows 7 if you edit an indexed sprite it will remove the indexing.

And BTW don't worry your tut is easy to understand and nobody would have any problem understanding it.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2013
As a phoenix wright fan, i'll try to get my custom phoenix wright trainer sprites in.
great tutorial!

Dylanrockin

That guy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Tajaros... your the man now dawg, thanks for making a thread for this that isn't complicated and tedious to follow.

Years
Okay I'm following this step by step (except the copy/paste part which I do in photoshop elements instead of paint shop) and when I go to import it it says

"unable to load sprite, it is either not indexed or in an unknown alpha channel"

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Okay I'm following this step by step (except the copy/paste part which I do in photoshop elements instead of paint shop) and when I go to import it it says

"unable to load sprite, it is either not indexed or in an unknown alpha channel"

By any chance are you using Windows 7? If then you should just follow this tutorial to Index your sprite. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=288641

Years
I actually got it to work ._.

Now on to learning to insert field sprites for the new character.
Oh joy...

Oh joy...

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years

Oh joy...

Oh joy...

Glad this tutorial helped, and by field sprites you meant OW's right? There are many tutorials here be sure to read them.

Dylanrockin

That guy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I can't save my palette data, mainly because my window to save it, is not fully extended downward so I cant save anything because of that problem.

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Thanks! you made inserting easier! xD well.. I tried on unzlgba
and kinda poop my sprite. anyways, thanks! :)

Back