• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V: Just a sequel or more like a restart?

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2013
Hello!

For me the fifth generation wasn't like the previous generations. It tried to exclude the old Pokémon (no new evolutions for the old ones and you must finish the game before you can trade with them). It's more like a "Best-Of" or a restart of Pokémon:
Spoiler:
For me the second, third and the fourth generation add something to the Pokémon universe and Arceus was like a completion. But in my eyes the fifth generation try to start at the beginning. It's not about which generation do you or I prefer.
Do you think Gen I, II, III and IV form an unit and Gen V plus VI form another one? Or do you think they all belong together?

Thank you for your answers!

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Gen V Pokemon DOES have a lot of resemblance to Gen 1 Pokemon. It really looks like Gen V is like a new step towards further generations. But I can't really tell if they're rehashing most Pokemon into newer designs or they just based on them. But they really do seem similar in my opinion.

Years
I have to say, that although 5th Gen Pokemon have resemblance to 1st Gen Pokemon, but I disagree that 5th Gen is any different from previous generations. While many older gen fans complained about Black and White requiring the use of 5th Gen Pokemon until the post-game, they remedied that with Black 2 and White 2 adding previous gen Pokemon to the Pokedex.

And I do like most of the 5th Gen Pokemon designs, they look awesome to me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Wow, I knew there were some similar Pokemon, but that many. Nevertheless, I still believe Gen V was a fresh start. Essentially because Unova is said to be far away from the other regions.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This was done on purpose, becasue Gen V was suppose to be a reboot. I never understand why fans are complaining about not using older gen Pokemon in Unova until post-game, because the point of BW was to get the same feeling as we did with R/B/Y as kids: Using Pokemon we're unfamiliar with and trying to find out who is more reliable.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
its a possibility that Generation V is a restart they have a lot of hints towards it
1. No pokemon from previous regions (in game before national dex)
2. They sort of ripped off the original series with the Gym leaders, one wanting to understand her type of pokemon better, the other wanting to be a breeder
3. In the anime Ash would usually take a boat to a new region he had to fly on a plane to Unova

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I don't think it's a reboot in the strict meaning of the word. The older games are still referenced (IIRC, Cynthia mentions the protagonist from DPPt, comparing the BW player character to him/her) , B2W2 has gym leaders from all other games, a former Team Rocket member in BW (and we even call tell which one he is!) and former members of Magma/Aqua appear in B2W2... even though the games do not go overboard in referencing older games, they can be placed in the continuity established since the actual reboot in Gen 3, so for me, it's a sequel.

I don't count the "no old Pokémon in Unova" thing as a sign of a reboot, because it simply isn't true: in BW older Pokémon do appear in the eastern part of Unova that the player simply doesn't happen to explore during the main quest, and B2W2 have them from the start.

Last edited:

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
To me it seems like they were trying to make something new, the storyline has an add-on than just become Pokemon Champion, they had no new pokemon, they even made more than 151 for the gen, over more than any other gen, it took place in somewhere far away, and I didn't notice your pokemon theory but that just gives a new hint xD

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I think they intentionally did this because Gen V was supposed be a reboot of the series. Unova is a region far way from the other regions and the storyline doesn't appear to be connected with the first four gens' storyline. You know, like how the events in Gen II happen at the same time as the events in Gen VI and how the events in Gen I happen at the same time as the events in Gen III. It's not really know where Gen V fits in the timeline but it's mostly likely after the events of Gen II and VI cause Caitlin is older and there's former team Rocket Grunts in Black and White and former Team Magma and Aqua Grunts in Black 2 and White 2.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2013
I never understand why fans are complaining about not using older gen Pokemon in Unova until post-game, because the point of BW was to get the same feeling as we did with R/B/Y as kids: Using Pokemon we're unfamiliar with and trying to find out who is more reliable.
I don't complain! Sure, as a Pokémon gamer since the very beginning the first generation is my favorite. But the fifth generation is my second choice perhaps because of its similarities. I didn't want to criticize the fifth generation just post my impression.

Back