• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was your strategy for dealing with Morty?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Morty has long been my nemesis in Generation II.

I've come up with various attempted strategems for defeating him, only to have to rethink everything, usually because of that Gengar (this just in: Gengar can be OP.)

I tried Psychic originally, in the form of a Kadabra (only had normal effect, because the bug that caused Ghost to be weak to Psychic was resolved in Gold/Silver, though I didn't know it when I first picked up Gold/Silver back in the day.)

Next, I tried simply nullifying his advantage with normal types. Gengar's potent Hypnosis (Psychic)/Dream Eater (Psychic) combo defeated that pretty well.

I've had a hard time getting an Umbreon until after his gym, due to the tempo that the Mood system plays out.

While I've been able to defeat him, I've always wondered how other people do it...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Growlithe and Croconaw both can learn bite and both can be found before Ecruteak City. You can also catch a Gastly in the Sprout Tower in Violet City at night.

Pínk1

..?
Years
Evolving a Ghastly and using a Gengar of my own seemed to do the trick, iirc. But as Dahumanitarian said, Croconaw works well too if you pick him!

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Dig. If you are slower attach a quick claw, its possible to dig first turn and dodge 2 attacks before hitting back. any mon with strong attack that know dig (i use machoke before) wins easily.

don't forget gastly line has no levitate in gen2

Years
  • Age 78
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
I always use a Geodude/Graveler. Magnitude might be not the most reliable but it surely sweeped the ghosties. Remember, Gen I ghosts only, so the secondary Poison typing screws them over.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Morty was one of the hardest gym leaders that I've ever faced in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, right next to Claire. Whenever I managed to get myself up from the ground, he would knock me back down every time. To me, his toughest Pokémon was Gengar. It would always trap my Pokémon with Mean Look, making them unable to switch. Then, it would make them fall asleep with Hypnosis, and take away their health bit by bit until it completely drops to zero. Gengar had also access to a move called Shadow Ball, which was very powerful. It would take away thirty- to forty-percent of your health every time it hit you, and if you were super-effective to it, it would make you faint in an instant. As for the rest of his Pokémon—they were pretty challenging, but they weren't as tough as his Gengar. d:

So, how did I manage to defeat Morty? I've bought myself a lot of recovery items, including Potions, Super Potions, Awakenings, and Revives. I've bought six of each, which cost me approximately eight- to ten-thousand dollars (maybe it was more, but I don't remember). Potions and Super Potions helped me to recover my Pokémon whenever their HP was low. With Awakenings, I was able to prevent my Pokémon from falling asleep. And thanks to Revives, I was able to bring my Pokémon back to life once they had fainted. I would've been able to defeat Morty without the help of these items, probably, but it would have just taken me a much longer time.

Last edited:

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
Years
Morty has long been my nemesis in Generation II.

I've come up with various attempted strategems for defeating him, only to have to rethink everything, usually because of that Gengar (this just in: Gengar can be OP.)

I tried Psychic originally, in the form of a Kadabra (only had normal effect, because the bug that caused Ghost to be weak to Psychic was resolved in Gold/Silver, though I didn't know it when I first picked up Gold/Silver back in the day.)

Next, I tried simply nullifying his advantage with normal types. Gengar's potent Hypnosis (Psychic)/Dream Eater (Psychic) combo defeated that pretty well.

I've had a hard time getting an Umbreon until after his gym, due to the tempo that the Mood system plays out.

While I've been able to defeat him, I've always wondered how other people do it...

Gengar is still weak to psychic...ghost/poison. Beat him with Drowzee no problem.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
I never had a strategy other than strong attacks, and I never had any issues... I think I trained on Stantlers for a while, from what I recall... I don't really remember when I battled Morty.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
I always overgrind my Pokèmon to super high levels in the grass, so this never bothered me at all. Just bring in your level 53 Feraligatr and Slash the hell outa him and he's done. No problems at all.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Yep... totally done. You are.
Just keep slashing until you realize that normal attacks don't affect ghost types.

Oups.. I confused him with that Fighting-Dude in Cianwood.

In any case, just use Bite and he's done for real.

DBKHD

Elite Saiyan
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 5, 2022
Personally, Slowbro is pretty effective simply because his HP and Defense are both very good. It also helps that it's Psychic type Pokémon. Just a couple of potions and awakening and you are good to go.

Years
I always either used Quilava and taught it Dig - or Croconaw's Bite. Never ever did I pick Chikorita.

Morty was one of the toughest gym leaders, but for me personally the hardest was Whitney. The bane of my life, her Miltank was.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I have never had any problems beating Morty though, there were times I used my Quilava or Kadabra if I had one, but most of the time I just used my trusted partners Umbreon and Espeon ^_^ ...always done a great job! (I just took alot of effort in breeding 2 Eevees as soon as Bill gives you one so I had an Espeon and Umbreon in my team, really does the trick).

Btw, since levitate did not exist (:D) you just could have wiped them out with Dig ^_^ (since the Gastly line is Ghost/Poison) *sigh, the good old times when you could knock a Gengar of his feet using an old fashioned ground-move ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Honestly I never found Morty too hard, I wasn't aware he was one that gave people problems? I played a Gold ROM recently on my phone and I used my Sudowoodu to beat him with no trouble at all, he struck me as a big pushover honestly. I don't remember ever having much trouble with him so I'm curious where the difficulty is coming from but I assume it must be Gengar? I like using fast Pokémon so I guess Gengar's speed has never been a problem for me and I've usually managed to one-hit kill him regardless haha.

Years
Buy a lot of awakenings if you have trouble. I usually plow through Morty's Pokemon and not give him any chance to hit back.

Back