• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Truth Vs Ideals

Years
Black and White both focused on truth versus ideals. As the main theme of both the legendaries and the evil team's motives, both were very important to the games. Which of the two do you think was more central to the games' core? And furthermore, which of the legendaries do you think did a better job of embodying their philosophy?

Pinta77

I think that they really tip-toed around this theme of truth and ideals. I like it, but I think they could have done a little more with it.

As far as ideals and truth, I really couldn't tell you which is more important. They are both important, but I dunno which is more important ^_^

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
I think they could have done much more with it to have a better plot. I do like the overall moral that other games lacked.

Years
I actually liked this theme, it made the games unique for me.

Also, like Pinta said, one side is not more important than the other. They are treated as equal.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
All they did was make reference to truth and ideals tbh ;( However! I think the truth is ultimately more important, due to the truth behind Ghetsis' motives, and for the ideals it was what people ideally wanted. While the ideals are important, the fact that without knowing Ghetsis' true motives, he couldn't have been stopped and you'd not have known the ideal world. So... yeah truth in a sort of egg before chicken way.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I too do believe that both played an important interior motive in the games. I believe that the truth is more important than the ideals. Team Plasma had many ideals and beliefs on Pokemon and they thought that they were doing the right thing, but the truth is that the were evil and were harming the Pokemon world. I think the truth is more important because characters can get blinded by their ideas and beliefs, and do what they feel is right. Their ulterior motives could be wrong. A good example is N; he believed that his actions were righ and justified. He loved Pokemon so much that he could talk to them and feel for them. He believed that all Pokemon should be free, but he didn't realize what he was doing was wrong until you had freed him from his evil thinking, and made him see the light. He learned the truth and that changed him .The truth was a lot more important than his motives. His motives drove him to do wrong; realizing the truth, he did right.

I think that motives were more central to the game's core. I believe that the Pokemon franchise is based off of motives. You, the trainer has the motive to do good and bring tranquility to the Pokemon world. Your dream is to become and Pokemon master and to defeat your rival. Your motives is that you have to prove something, and you travel all throughout your region to catch Pokemon, win badges, and prove that you're a superb trainer.

The last question, I have no idea for Black/White. I think Mewtwo is a good example on how motives can lead to wrong doings. Mewtwo had believed that all humans were evil, and his motive was to destroy the human race and to rise Pokemon to superiority over humans. Mew helped mewtwo to realize the truth, allowing him to change his ways.

Deep questions, sorry if I didn't answer them correctly.

Back