• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Just going by 3DS sales figures, let me just say that it doesn't look good. The problem with the system is a lack of good games (Along with Nintendo's disinterest in innovating, I mean, another "New Super Mario Bros." game?) coupled with a battery life that is just plain atrocious. I mean, the system is selling poorly, most people I know who own them, including myself, rarely, if ever, play them, and honestly, it's really not a great system.

So unless the new games are genuinely the best damn Pokemon games made, it doesn't look good for 'em.

You know, if you just replaced "3DS" in your post with "PS Vita" and the references to Nintendo's franchises with Sony ones, it would be that much more accurate.

Nintendo has no adversaries in the handheld market in this new generation, because the Vita was a flop. It's sweet to watch Sony's spell coming back to bite them, as they took the lead in the home console market with a less powerful but more versatile console (PS1), and now they went for all-out horsepower with the Vita and it backfired horribly, losing badly to the less powerful 3DS.

Nintendo might be concerned about the smartphone and tablet market, but seriously, it's the same thing when we compare the PC to home consoles, and I can safely say home consoles have had the upper hand this generation because, among all the multi-platform games, all of those that are available for PC are bugged ports of Xbox 360 versions. The huge market for PC games still hasn't killed consoles, and it won't in the near future, provided MS, Nintendo and Sony play their cards well.

I'd say Nintendo has an even bigger lead on the handheld market, because there are no large-budget titles for Android and iOS. If the smartphone and tablet manufacturers can't grasp the hardcore gamer public, they'll never be able to dig deep into the handheld market.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Just going by 3DS sales figures, let me just say that it doesn't look good. The problem with the system is a lack of good games (Along with Nintendo's disinterest in innovating, I mean, another "New Super Mario Bros." game?) coupled with a battery life that is just plain atrocious. I mean, the system is selling poorly, most people I know who own them, including myself, rarely, if ever, play them, and honestly, it's really not a great system.

So unless the new games are genuinely the best damn Pokemon games made, it doesn't look good for 'em.

I can't say that I concur with your assessment.

First of all, the lack of good games, as you cite, is really just a matter of perspective. What you consider to be good might not be shared by others. For me personally, I spend hours playing Tetris with my 3DS, also OoT, Star Fox and Mario Kart. Those 4 games alone make having the 3DS well worth the money I paid for it. You deriding a "New Super Mario Bros." game is pretty disingenuous considering the Mario Bros. franchise is among the most successful franchises in console gaming history ever! Okay, you're not a fan. We get that. But again, that's your opinion, and your opinion is by no means shared by everyone.

Now let's get to this battery life complaint of yours. I travel a lot by public transit. I spend a good hour and a half each day going to and from work. I take my 3DS with me, and play during the entire trip. In 3 days I haven't had to recharge the battery. Sure by the 3rd day it's pretty low, but that's still about 4 and a half hours of constant play, without charging the battery! My old cell phone couldn't even hold a charge for more than 2 days of being in standby mode! If your battery isn't performing to your satisfaction, get another battery.

As to your charge that the 3DS is selling poorly, I have to say, you wouldn't know it by the number of systems that the store I work at sell. I work at Walmart and we can barely keep the thing in stock. In fact, I actually had to wait for a new shipment to arrive before I could get mine because we'd sold out, and that was for the new XL version! Poor sellers you say? Hardly. I think it's more likely you've been reading biased articles which cite incomplete or misleading statistics.

My prediction: 3DS sales will increase dramatically as a result of the release of Pokemon X and Y. Even if no packaged bundle is offered at the time of release, customers will be buying both the system and the game on release day, and well past it. This based on my experience in the retail industry with past major releases at an electronics retailer (Futureshop, Walmart).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I can't say that I concur with your assessment.

First of all, the lack of good games, as you cite, is really just a matter of perspective. What you consider to be good might not be shared by others. For me personally, I spend hours playing Tetris with my 3DS, also OoT, Star Fox and Mario Kart. Those 4 games alone make having the 3DS well worth the money I paid for it. You deriding a "New Super Mario Bros." game is pretty disingenuous considering the Mario Bros. franchise is among the most successful franchises in console gaming history ever! Okay, you're not a fan. We get that. But again, that's your opinion, and your opinion is by no means shared by everyone.

Now let's get to this battery life complaint of yours. I travel a lot by public transit. I spend a good hour and a half each day going to and from work. I take my 3DS with me, and play during the entire trip. In 3 days I haven't had to recharge the battery. Sure by the 3rd day it's pretty low, but that's still about 4 and a half hours of constant play, without charging the battery! My old cell phone couldn't even hold a charge for more than 2 days of being in standby mode! If your battery isn't performing to your satisfaction, get another battery.

As to your charge that the 3DS is selling poorly, I have to say, you wouldn't know it by the number of systems that the store I work at sell. I work at Walmart and we can barely keep the thing in stock. In fact, I actually had to wait for a new shipment to arrive before I could get mine because we'd sold out, and that was for the new XL version! Poor sellers you say? Hardly. I think it's more likely you've been reading biased articles which cite incomplete or misleading statistics.

My prediction: 3DS sales will increase dramatically as a result of the release of Pokemon X and Y. Even if no packaged bundle is offered at the time of release, customers will be buying both the system and the game on release day, and well past it. This based on my experience in the retail industry with past major releases at an electronics retailer (Futureshop, Walmart).

Regarding the articles, there are a lot of people writing fluff about how smartphones and tablets are gonna win the war against the 3DS, but most of the journalists who write those articles are just people who read statistics and don't seem to know the market and the consumers well. I find it very hard to believe that platforms whose leading titles are the likes of Angry Birds are going to dethrone portable consoles.

Seriously, people have been predicting Nintendo's downfall since the NES era. I actually expected Nintendo to give up during the Gamecube era and do what Sega did, but they came back stronger than ever, helped by their multi-million franchises and an innovative gaming concept (the Wii). In the handheld market, they have never been threatened by anyone and are set to monopolize the market once again if Sony doesn't do anything about the failure of the Vita.

ChocolateCrunch

Not an old man. x]
Years
My opinion is it's just Nintendo's way of saying:

"Hey, the DS-Pokémon era has passed, but the 3D one is only just beginning! The 3DS needs more sales so we're cutting off DS and passing it on to the 3DS! We need the money!"

Or something less cheesy and more understandable than that.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Hmmm the DS is a dead console. No relevant games are planned for the DS or even the DSi in 2013. So it's only natural that the series continues on the 3DS. B2W2 fully exhausted the DS's potential.

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
3ds is a failed system imo, they need the popular titles to help it sell well.

only reason im buying 3ds is for pokemon x/y, and there are many others like me.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I'm appalled some people still can't get over the fact that Gen 6 will be on the 3DS.

Once again, people, read this list and think: didn't Game Freak/The Pokémon Company/whoever is developing these games already throw you a bone? Didn't they already give the DS a second chance?

• Game Boy - Generation 1: one Generation, versions of one story.
  • Game Boy Color - Generation 2: one Generation, versions of one story.
  • Game Boy Advance - Generation 3: one Generation, versions of two stories.
  • DS - Generations 4 and 5: two Generations, versions of four stories.
Let me put it bluntly: you should be thankful the DS already had twice as many generations and games than... I don't know, all the other Nintendo handhelds so far, not feel "betrayed" because it won't have Gen 6.

It blows my mind. I've never heard about people complaining about developers switching to superior hardware before. Before this, all transitions went smoothly, and now suddenly people start accusing the developers and Nintendo of being money grubbers and feeling betrayed... I'm not saying they don't do this for money, because come on, it is a business after all, but seriously people, what changed between then and now?

And about 3DS having no games that are worth it... remember that meme a few years back: "PS3 has no games"? I was saying that back then too, now I seriously plan on buying one because there are quite a few games I'm dying to play. It will be the same for the 3DS, just wait and see, and it starts with X/Y.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
3ds is a failed system imo, they need the popular titles to help it sell well.

only reason im buying 3ds is for pokemon x/y, and there are many others like me.

The 3DS has popular games. Very popular. That you don't like any of them doesn't make them unpopular, it just makes them games you personally don't like. Nintendo does not focus on only one particular group of gamers. Nintendo, being the smart and savvy company they are, create games that are everyone can enjoy. Limiting themselves by making one group of gamers happy over others is a very poor business strategy.

But maybe, just maybe, it's not the games that you're sore about. Maybe it's the system itself, and because the games you are griping about aren't on a system other than the 3DS you stubbornly refuse to touch them, or even acknowledge their existence.

Years
The 3DS has popular games. Very popular. That you don't like any of them doesn't make them unpopular, it just makes them games you personally don't like. Nintendo does not focus on only one particular group of gamers. Nintendo, being the smart and savvy company they are, create games that are everyone can enjoy. Limiting themselves by making one group of gamers happy over others is a very poor business strategy.

But maybe, just maybe, it's not the games that you're sore about. Maybe it's the system itself, and because the games you are griping about aren't on a system other than the 3DS you stubbornly refuse to touch them, or even acknowledge their existence.

He speaks the truth.

The 3DS has plenty of interesting, quality titles, we havn't even touched on games Like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations, and games that when it's all said and done, look very compartable to Vita titles, and far outshine any of the Android/Ipod equivalent titles.

Pokemon X and Y arn't the 3Ds's only major titles coming soon though either. With planned releases such as Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Fire Emblem X Shin Megumi Tenshi, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The 3DS's Library is growing more competent with almost every release. I mean, sure a few of their more successful titles are remakes, but that's been going on every single other console, handheld or otherwise To bring it full circle to remain on topic, This system will not kill Pokemon, if anything Pokemon will give this system a boost so that developers will make even more amazing games.

pokefangames

Sinor Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2013
After reading some of the comments here, I must agree with some of you, it is true that the sales of Pokemon might be hert from being 3DS only, but think of it this way, the 3DS was due for a Pokemon duo, judging from the announcement, the 3DS is the only hand held Nintendo's got that could handle this sorta power, and the 3DS is almost dirt cheep right now (in Canada and US, I'm not sure about else where). so who Agrees?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I can't believe how dumb some people are here. The DS is deader than dead and your still whining about forking out some money for a 3DS?

The 3DS has been selling decently (although in Japan it's selling ridiculously well) well and we only got a seconded generation due to the length of the DS's relevancy.

Personally, I would refuse to buy it if was released on the DS.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
My opinion is that Nintendo hasn't really been having the best sales on the 3ds. And since they no the Pokemon is one of the biggest audiences they have, they know some will by it only for X and Y

demonta4

President of Demonta Games
Years
first of all the 3ds got a price drop so it isn't expensive (unless $160 is),and pokemon x and y would boost 3ds sales,also the 3ds has been out for two years which is more than enough time to buy it.so no this will not have a bad effect.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It's time for them to move on to the 3DS. After two generations and their sequels on the DS, moving onto the 3DS just makes sense. It's not like it's different, every generation except the past two have changed systems after each one, so it makes sense we're advancing onwards. If anything it's just going to sell the 3DS even better than it currently is since people will buy it just for Pokémon games.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, in this case, you have to look at it from each individual's perspectives. Sure, there might be people who are able to get a 3Ds, and are more than willing than move on from their own DS, but what about those who are unable to move on? I mean from a financial stand point. Consider this; a person might have a DS and a few pokemon games, but, they have no job, and have no other way to earn themselves money. So, I'm just saying. It might not be all that easy for certain people to get a 3DS to begin with. And even so, I doubt people would buy a 3DS just for one pokemon game, if all of the other 3Ds games don't appeal to them.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
And even so, I doubt people would buy a 3DS just for one pokemon game, if all of the other 3Ds games don't appeal to them.

As someone who is in the retail industry, who works for a company that sells game consoles and games, I can guarantee you that with every major game release comes an increase in sales of consoles. Always. When the new Pokemon games are released, it's a sure thing that our 3DS sales will be higher than normal.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I think the Nintendo 3DS would make an excellent platform for the latest Pokémon games to be in. To be honest... The Nintendo DS is dead in Japan, and is almost dead, and should be dead in the rest of the world. It's practically a dead man walking. Perhaps Pokémon X and Y will be the games that deliver the finishing blow to Nintendo DS, for good... and give Nintendo 3DS the jump-start it desperately needs outside of Japan, perhaps securing Nintendo's position, and their fortunes by proxy, for yet another handheld generation of consoles.

Pokémon by itself is a massive system seller, by the way. Do not underestimate the power of these cuddly Pokémon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I am buying the 3ds just for the pokemon game. There has been no reason for me to buy it till now. It is time to move away from the normal DS. It has been out for far too long. Gamers will buy a system just for one game. I have seen it constantly with the 3ds alone.

Guy

just a guy
Years
With the increase of sales for the 3DS and more desirable game titles being released and upcoming, it gives buyers more incentive to purchase a 3DS for themselves. I still think there's a lot of hype that will come with further promotion that will only help increase these sales of the 3DS and ultimately X and Y come release day. I'm willing to bet new records will be broken come October.

DashieFactory

Vivacious Deviant
Years
Oh, Pokemon X and Y being released will certainly boost 3DS sales, not to mention the new 3DS Mystery Dungeon game that's out. I lost my 3DS and was just not going to bother having to buy another one but with two new Pokemon games and the new Animal Crossing, if I can be convinced to buy another one there are certainly a lot more that will buy the console solely for Pokemon.

Back