• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Mathematics Club ~ *ΜΑΘ* ~

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Joining~
Username: Nurse Barbra
Overall Education Level: 3rd year (9th grade in american terms)
Mathematics Education Level:I do the new irish project maths sylubus, more wordy and complex equations, its about the equalivent of 12th grade maths,I know alot of the equations such as the distance between 2 points [^1/2{(a1+a1)^2+
(b1+b2)^2}] ,
Do you think you can be asked for help in your level or lower?: Sure
I wish I were a _______ so I could lay tangent to your curves: n Angle of 35* or more~

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
members

Joining~
Username: Nurse Barbra
Overall Education Level: 3rd year (9th grade in american terms)
Mathematics Education Level:I do the new irish project maths sylubus, more wordy and complex equations, its about the equalivent of 12th grade maths,I know alot of the equations such as the distance between 2 points [^1/2{(a1+a1)^2+(b1+b2)^2}] ,
Do you think you can be asked for help in your level or lower?: Sure
I wish I were a _______ so I could lay tangent to your curves: n Angle of 35* or more~

Welcome and hope you enjoy...wait for the leader to put you in the member list, I'm sure she would.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I am not impressed with the lack of productivity in the recent week.

Now to talk about why exactly you like math, or what you like about it and when did it get you so interested? Is there anything specific that had you hooked?

Years

Now to talk about why exactly you like math, or what you like about it and when did it get you so interested? Is there anything specific that had you hooked?

Probably because we had no topic/no activity. Maybe we should set something like, a topic per week, or a random fact per, say, 5 days, or a quiz, or simply what you learn that week, or something like that.

Why exactly I like math? I don't really know why. It's just... fun, I guess. Like my lecturer said once, "When you get to prove the trigonometric equations, it felt fun, isn't it? Just like orgasm." The best part is when you get an answer to a question that's been bugging you for days.

Anything specific... I know someone is going to answer pi

Speaking of that, I'd really to learn more about the history behind constants like pi, e, etc. But the syllabus is just more centered around "How do you apply this to this" etc.

Anywayy.. Today entered the chapter derivative in graphing and application. The concavity part is still easy, but I have a feeling that the graph-sketching part is not going to be that simple.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
yeaaahh mathssss.

Username: Ninja Caterpie; NC, En-say
Overall Education Level: Year 9
Mathematics Education Level (Or most recent/advanced math subject): eh idg this.
Do you think you can be asked for help in your level or lower? Yes. Possibly a bit higher, too.
Life = The Universe = Everything = 42/3 = 14.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years

I like maths because I get to go home at math lessons~ The teacher said that I don't need to attend until I get the same grade as the rest of the class~ :3

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
...well, I like maths,

but right now in year 9 I am having some trouble with motion problems.
can anyone help with this?

I don't want to put the question because I want to try learn it myself, but does anyone know what I mean by motion problems?

Years
...well, I like maths,

but right now in year 9 I am having some trouble with motion problems.
can anyone help with this?

I don't want to put the question because I want to try learn it myself, but does anyone know what I mean by motion problems?

I can't imagine it. Maybe you can post the question, then we can give hints on how to solve it? Or try finding a similar question, maybe?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
okay, here's an example;

A motor cyclist makes a trip of 500km. If he had increased his speed by 10km/h, he could have covered 600km in the same time. What was his original speed?

Years
okay, here's an example;

A motor cyclist makes a trip of 500km. If he had increased his speed by 10km/h, he could have covered 600km in the same time. What was his original speed?

Some other members might have a different solution, but this would be what I did.

Hint:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
Mathematics is a beautiful language. There is harmony, and everything follows a logical sequence. It is its perfection that made me fall in love with Math.
I like maths because I get to go home at math lessons~ The teacher said that I don't need to attend until I get the same grade as the rest of the class~ :3
You get to go home at math lessons? Wow, I really hate the educational system here. Instead of being able to do that, I am subjected to staying there and listen to the teacher rumble about things I already know (or in many cases, that are incorrect). However, I had a brilliant idea yesterday, that completely solved the problem of boring lessons for me. Before going to school, I print out about 10 sudokus, and solve them at the class. It makes time pass much faster, and requires actual thought.
okay, here's an example;

In order to solve a problem using mathematics, you have to understand what each part of it means. Here, we want to find his original speed, "x". If we assume a constant amount of time, "n", we have "x*n=500km", since distance equals time * speed. The increased speed is x+10, so (x+10)*n=600. By solving both equations for n, we get n=500/x, and n=600/(x+10). We then merge these to 500/x=600/(x+10), and solve that:
500/x=600/(x+10)
(5000+500x)/(x^2+10x)=600x/(x^2+10x) (making the denominators equal)
5000+500x=600x (multiplying both sides with x^2+10x)
-100x=-5000
100x=5000
x=50km/h
If you have trouble with any part of that explanation, don't hesitate to ask for more details. What those problems need to be solved, is for you to write them down as an equation, and solving them becomes trivial after that.

Edit: Bah, ninja'd.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2017

And then suddenly, the club comes to life.

Why I like maths? That's... quite a hard question to answer, but I'll give it a go and probably write about e^3 pages worth of text.

I felt the need to spoiler it:
Spoiler:

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Behold some questions from todays test for me, i got all the right answers but im just gonna throw it out there for you all. (As Quoted directly from the test):
Spoiler:

...Have fun~

Last edited:
Years
Edit: Bah, ninja'd.

:P

Spoiler:

Eh...? Explain. :P

Spoiler:

Didn't you get that 1+1=4 once? XD

Spoiler:

The quote kinda contradicts what you're saying....

thanks for the help, smile and shinymeowth :)

i think i get it now :)

Glad to be of help =]

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Spoiler:

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Spoiler:

It was a good attempt if you consider it was 2 AM when I did this... >__>

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
It was a good attempt if you consider it was 2 AM when I did this... >__>
Which reminds me of an incredibly stupid mistake I made on a math test, due to thinking of Pokemon the whole time. I had finished the whole excersize, and had to evaluate 2*5^2. So I went on and automatically wrote 2*5^2=2*20=40, and gave the paper to the teacher, only to realize what I had done when the bell dismissed us, but then it was too late.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Behold some questions from todays test for me, i got all the right answers but im just gonna throw it out there for you all. (As Quoted directly from the test):
Spoiler:

...Have fun~

I actually made a mistake when i typed in this.
b)i) is actually "x^2 -13x+36 = 0"
Answer time:
Spoiler:

correct answers are in BOLD
yay for the irish maths system~

Edit: Note: These were 4 SEPERATE questions. In our maths system the "1) Algebra" is the section " a) " is the question , ergo : question A. and "i" is used for the seperate parts of the question.

Last edited:
Back