• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Best Grass type? (hg/SS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
Simple question: what is the best grass type pokémon in Pokémon Soul silver/Heart Gold?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Grass isn't a good type in HG/SS, IMO, but I'd probably say Tangela/Tangrowth. Tangrowth has good stats all-round, except for its Special Defense and Speed. It also learns moves that help deal with its weaknesses (Earthquake, Rock Slide, AncientPower).

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
I really like the Chikorita family, since they add some challenge while playing through the game. And they're really cute. But statwise, I second PlatinumDude with Tangela/Tangrowth.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
Yeh, I'm in near Ecruteak city and my team is now: Magmar, Eevee (umbreon), Croconaw, Flaaffy, Scyther and I recently caught an Exeggcute, but actually exeggcute really sucks! So with what should I replace it?

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I didn't start with Chikorita, so discounting that, I went with Victreebel for my main Grass-type. It wasn't that much of a success though. Kind of wish I'd gone with Tangela. I just ditched Grass altogether from my team after a while.

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2012
I actually borowed a Nintendo DS and bought Heart Gold today, so I might start over.. Recommendations?

Years
Yeah don't worry so much about a grass type. They're not that useful in HG/SS (thankfully since no decent grass types are available).

ForYouu

Time Traveler
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2012
I generally don't use grass types in my team. I prefer to use other types. In my opinion grass is a very weak type, which is quite ironic since Celebi is one of my favourite legendaries. Although to be fair, legendaries are excluded from this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
To answer the original topic, I'm going with Venusaur. You got Bulbasaur from Oak in Kanto so it's not too difficult to get in-game and it's Chlorophyll ability made it an absolute beast of a Pokémon in competitive battles. It's a surprisingly good Pokémon if you're able to set it up so it's definitely my answer :3

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Trust me dude, you don't wanna replace Exeggcute. It takes awhile to learn moves but Exeggutor is beast. You won't regret it. If you don't got a Psychic type then go with him. If you do got a Psychic type you don't need him. The types you need in HG/SS is.

Fire
Psychic
Water
Electric
Ground/Rock
Fighting

The rest aren't really useful these are just the most useful.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Like AlexOzzyCake hinted, could we please sway back onto the original topic here. It seems this thread is becoming more of a quick question and answer discussion which belongs in it's respective sticky; so if we can move back onto the first topic, that'd be splendid!

Anyhoo, I don't think there is a massive range of fantastic grass types, but I do think there are some, decent ones worth using. Meganium was one (not sure if it counts in this instance), as well as I found Exegguctor especially useful. I also didn't mind taking in a Tangela to Tangrowth, because some of it's moves as previously mentioned are quite good. While I don't think grass types are the best type to use (that can really just vary from player to player), there are a few that do stand out amongst them all.

Years
Yeh, I'm in near Ecruteak city and my team is now: Magmar, Eevee (umbreon), Croconaw, Flaaffy, Scyther and I recently caught an Exeggcute, but actually exeggcute really sucks! So with what should I replace it?

Don't replace it! Exeggcutor is a really good pokemon, and really fun to use! It's tied with roserade for being the grass type with the highest special attack. Sure it has many weaknesses, but those can be worked around! It also has good stats aside from its speed and special defense. And while it may take a while to get a leaf stone, it's worth it.

So yeah, I definitely think Exeggcutor is a good pokemon to use, but tangrowth and victreebel are also good options. Actually, you could try using sunflora. Nobody thinks of it since sunkern is the weakest pokemon, but sunflora has some good stats, and a very diverse movepool. Could be interesting ^_^

Or go with Parasect, it's amazing. Again, it has some flaws like it's 4x weaknesses to flying and fire, but it's an awesome pokemon, and is so fun to abuse spore with. :D

Also, jumpluff could be really fun to use as status moves are super fun to abuse.

It basically all depends on what kind of pokemon you like/are looking for! :D

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
It's mainly what Gorlurk said

A lot of what is considered "best" is all very subjective. It all really does depend on what you're looking for. Being a huge grass Pokemon fan that kind of strays from competitive battling I will tell you that grass Pokemon have many uses and I find them to be very versatile as long as you prepare your team properly.

The Chikorita family provides excellent support and is a very nice wall if you want to stall for things like poison, perish song, leech seed, and all that good stuff, also provides pretty solid offensive power if necessary. The duel screen strategies tend to go pretty nicely with it's decent speed and good defensive power

Jumpluff is incredibly speedy and will outrun almost anything allowing you to hit with whatever move you want on the oppenent with almost zero worry about thier priority. You'll be finding yourself using sleep powder a lot or if you have it, substitute with leftovers in hand.

Tangrowth is just simply a bulky physical attacker with high def and low sp def but can really pack a ton if somebody lets it

Deffinetlly do not underestimate Exeggutor, it can take a hit pretty well and can learn some powerful psychic moves along with the utility that grass types tend to have

There is definitely a couple more in there but you have to experiment yourself.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Here let me add something that might help you in picking your grass Pokemon. You want to keep Exeggcute if you don't have the patience to train him to level 26 or whenever it learns Confusion then go catch an Oddish or Bellsprout. Vileplume and Bellossom are both good. I've used Vileplume in FR/LG and used Bellossom in HG/SS. I've also used Victrebell in FR/LG too. They are all really good Pokemon but require stones to evolve them. If you aren't in a rush to get the game beat then I suggest you go spend some of your time at the Pokeathlon Dome, you can get all the stones that way and go to the bug catching contest and try to catch a level 14 Pinsir or Scyther but don't harm it make sure it has full health and you'll for sure win. If you do that then you can get a Sun Stone to evolve Gloom into Bellossom. I'm not saying that they are the best Grass Pokemon other people have their opinions on them but I personally liked using all of them. You can't go wrong with Tangela either but your gonna want to trade or wait til you get to Pallet Town to catch it.

Years
I suggest you go spend some of your time at the Pokeathlon Dome, you can get all the stones that way...You can't go wrong with Tangela either but your gonna want to trade or wait til you get to Pallet Town to catch it.

Actually, you can't get all the stones until after the national pokedex, although you can get a leaf stone for 2500 on saturdays only. And tangela can also be found on route 44 (the route between Mahogany and Blackthorn. Even so, it is found a LOT later in the game than the other grass types, so that's something to consider.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
@GolurkIsDaBomb, I'm aware of that with the stones. They only evolve grass Pokemon by Leaf or Sun Stones and not to mention level up lol. But I just gave him a wide variety of Grass Pokemon to choose from. I also forgot that Tangela was in that route.

If you go with Bellossom don't evolve it until Gloom learns Giga Drain and don't evolve Weepinbell into Victrebell until it learns Razor Leaf. After that you can evolve it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Okay, I'm going to close this since it seems like no-one listened to my request in my previous post. This discussion has turned into more of an in-game team help thread which belongs in its repsective forum.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back