• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ho-Oh or Lugia?

Ho-Oh or Lugia?

• [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0f/Spr_2c_249.gif[/img]

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/cb/Spr_2c_250.gif[/img]

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
LUGIA. It was one of the first legendaries I've seen and loved in the movies as part of my childhood. It has such an awesomely majestic form. Who can deny that? <3

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I prefer Ho-oh even though the requirements for it in Crystal are complete BS

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Lugia has always been one of my very favourites, and is at the top of the list when it comes to legendaries. It took me quite a while to catch it, seeing as its location wasn't quite as obvious as Ho-oh's, since it was located deep within one of several caves out in the ocean, whereas Ho-oh was at the top of a tower that was inaccessible before you got the Rainbow Wing, so not quite equal on that part. But anyways, I used it, and it was amazing. Pretty much became my favored Pokemon of use throughout the rest of my second generation experience, and it was quite a help when playing through the games or battling against my friends, and I've just generally bonded much more with it than I have with Ho-oh. It is also one of my favourite Pokemon in any of the movies :D

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Honestly, I got no idea. I remember playing Pokemon Gold and trying super hard to catch my first Legendary Pokemon, Ho-Oh, on the way to a Picnic. And I remember being so happy about that and the next day at school I showed my friends who were also playing Pokemon on the Gameboy. It were those moments of playing the game with Ho-Oh that made me like Ho-Oh. But now I kinda lean towards to Lugia, because it looks a hell of a lot better then Ho-Oh, but it's the childhood memory of liking Ho-Oh that makes me choose Ho-Oh.

Years
Lugia, cos I not only prefer Psychic-types over Fire-types but it also has association with Water, which is another of my fave types.

It's also my fave Johto legendary too.

Autophobic

Fearing Isolation
Years
Lugia was my favorite pokemon back in the GSC days. I always thought it looked bigger and badder than Ho-Oh.

Ven Bloodia

Unmenschsoldat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 1, 2015
I love Ho-Oh because of the mythology behind it but I also love Lugia for its superb design, both are also a ton of fun to use in battle as well so my hands are pretty much tied when it comes to choosing one in this case tbh.

Years
I'll definitely go for Lugia. In my opinion it is one of the strongest pokemon in the game (and one of the most difficult to catch)... Besides, it looks gorgeous, Whenever I play the game, I have him in my patrty. It can beat flying, fighting, fire, ghost, bug, rock, ground, etc.

Max'd_Out

Keyblade Master
Years
For me, it's always been Lugia. He just always so awesome. It doesn't help that the first Pokemon movie I remember seeing was 2000, and that my very first video game (period) was Silver.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2012
Lugia is so cool. I always thought it was a dragon type, though. I first saw it in the Pokemon 2000 movie, and loved it to bits.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
When I was little, I did not like colorful things (still do not like it as an adult) so that gravitated me to Pokemon Silver because Lugia was not colorful. Once I knew that Lugia can learn water type moves, I knew in my heart that it was way better than Ho-oh because I can keep spamming water type moves like Surf and Hydro Pump. Until this day, I will always pick Lugia and defeat Ho-oh with water type moves :D

:t354:TG

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I remember buying Silver back then, and I thought Lugia was awesome. It's Aeroblast attack was just epic. It was actually the first legendary pokemon which I caught easily, using only 1 ultra ball :)

SuperChobot

IS THIS HOW I TITLE
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
Lugia. Although I'm probably going to end up getting HG, and not SS when I decide to buy one of them, but that's just because of the exclusives.
Suicune still has the most nostalgia for me because Crystal was my first Pokemon game.

Spacely

Yōkai
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2012
Ho-Oh for me. Gold version was the first in the series I beat, and I've always preferred Ho-Oh's story to Lugia's.

Years
I choose Ho-oh because he is my 2nd favourite legendary pokemon (after Shaymin) and he looks better than lugia (I think ) But ..... if I compare shiny Ho-oh and shiny Lugia, I choose shiny Lugia.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2013
Lugia, without a doubt. I think it is one of the coolest out there. I definitely have to agree the movie really sealed the deal. Ho-oh always seems so absent, and really has done nothing to win me over. Lugia will always have my heart based on the awesome learnsets, and its role in the anime/movies.

Lugia, FTW.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Ho-oh, just wished he looked more like a Pheonix.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
I choose Lugia :D
I remember using Lugia so many times in Crystal.. Good times

Back