• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Anything wrong with your current phone, or are you just looking for an upgrade?

The 930 sounds very nice, but I have a nagging feeling that newer, better things are just on the horizon.

Though, some Nokia phones that were in the pipeline being allegedly cancelled... hmm...

I'm still not going off the Windows Phone boat, to be honest.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'd have to wait about two years or so to decide if I want to get myself a new phone or not; currently, I'm pretty satisfied with the ones I have.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I'm gonna buy a new phone soon. The Nokia Lumia line is so attractive, I dunno which to pick ;;

Years
I'm gonna buy a new phone soon. The Nokia Lumia line is so attractive, I dunno which to pick ;;
Go with what you need. Don't spend so much on a new phone unless you're paying for what you really intend to use. (meaning don't go buying a Lumia 1520 if you only plan on using using it for small tasks such as texting and basic browsing)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

Go with what you need. Don't spend so much on a new phone unless you're paying for what you really intend to use. (meaning don't go buying a Lumia 1520 if you only plan on using using it for small tasks such as texting and basic browsing)

Mmm hmm!

One thing about Windows Phones: it never hurts to buy "last year's flagship".

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
One thing about Windows Phones: it never hurts to buy "last year's flagship".

The nice thing about Windows Phone OS is that the OS works great on any hardware. Even the very low end Lumia 520 worked well on the Developer Preview of Windows Phone 8.1

I really wish I still had a Windows Phone.

Years
Even the very low end Lumia 520 worked well on the Developer Preview of Windows Phone 8.1
And I'm going to quote this in agreement. I installed the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview on my Lumia 520 and it ran smoothly. Of course doing so meant that I played a little too much with Cortana :p

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I can only imagine how good the experience will be with a Nokia Lumia 930. I actually kind of miss the camera flash at this point. Same for visibility. At least the 525 is perfectly serviceable, so I am thinking of no longer using my feature phone. (Maybe I'll put the 525on permanent battery saver once I get the 930.)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Bring up a new topic then. It's not like you can't do so. :P
Well, considering it was the first reply this thing had in two days, I couldn't say nothing. :p

My technology interests don't really mix well with that of others here in particular from what I've learned. I'm far less interested in consumer-level electronics and much more into the bare bones programming and large-scale aspects of it, since those count more in the scheme of things. Want to talk about that?

Years
Hmm, since I just finished writing a research paper in APA style on careers in computer programming, no! :P

I kid, feel free to discuss programming if you want to.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm laughing my ass off, 480 euros for the 16gb One Plus from an unofficial retailer in my country. Far too pricey for something that's supposed to be not pricey.

Years
I'm laughing my ass off, 480 euros for the 16gb One Plus from an unofficial retailer in my country. Far too pricey for something that's supposed to be not pricey.
As you say, it's an unofficial retailer, which means they set their own price and it could either be over or under the actual retail price.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
*is somehow playing the waiting game with regard to smartphones*

It's like... I can't commit yet.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Money is a good answer, but its ridiculous. At this point the R&D of new CPUs and innards of cell phones has reached a sort of peak this last year, with no real breakthroughs in new technology(except maybe some power saving). At the rate that it was created and now stabilized, you should easily be able to buy a phone in the 300 euro price bracket and get something with a Snapdragon 800 and at the least 1.5Ghz of power. The price disparity between the various power levels is ridiculous even by PC standards.
Low end(maybe 1 gig of ram, some 1.2GHz of power, Dual Core maybe):90-150 Euros
then it jumps to
Mid end(Definitely a gig, maybe 1.5, again 1.2GHz, Most Dual Core, rarely a Quad Core):200-300 Euros
And anything High-End with a Snapdragon 800, anywhere around 1.5-2.5GHz, Quad Core/Octa Core and an excellent snapper goes from 500 to 700.

In the 400-500 price range there are some phones, but most are either last year models or insanely marked up phones(I'm looking at you HTC. 450 for the Desire 610?)
If they could shorten the gaps, and hell maybe even lower the prices it would be great. One thing I'm definitely going to be annoyed about is if Android phones don't lose their price bloat when MS' patent extortion stops, as the money lost to paying royalties translates to profit, thus a chance to lower prices. Will it happen? Of course not, ♥♥♥♥ing greed runs everything! /Rant

At work one of the execs gave an interesting theory on why phones aren't getting cheaper like computers and TVs. He said that because providers like Verizon and AT&T are subsidizing the phones and most people are just paying for the contract plus like 200 bucks no matter the phone, there hasn't been the real competition that drives prices down.

Of course, this was an argument to advertise AT&T Next which lets you buy the phone outright or pay for the whole phone in installments instead of the system we have now, because he argued that it would solve the whole subsidizing problem. So, grain of salt but I thought it was an interesting theory.

Years
On that topic of programming, I'm working on a small IRC bot, although it's not the best at the moment. I might see if I can find a simple bot source and port my existing commands to it. This one is too linear and doesn't work too terribly well, although I've made it support query code which is nice. The original didn't.
IRC bots sound cool! What are you coding it in?

Years

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
At work one of the execs gave an interesting theory on why phones aren't getting cheaper like computers and TVs. He said that because providers like Verizon and AT&T are subsidizing the phones and most people are just paying for the contract plus like 200 bucks no matter the phone, there hasn't been the real competition that drives prices down.

Of course, this was an argument to advertise AT&T Next which lets you buy the phone outright or pay for the whole phone in installments instead of the system we have now, because he argued that it would solve the whole subsidizing problem. So, grain of salt but I thought it was an interesting theory.
That's not a theory, as much as it is a near proven fact. The money the contractors are making off of people is enough of a reason why the phone makers don't mark down their prices. The minute the contractors lose money because the phones can be bought cheap is the minute they drop off the brands. Buying from them is so ingrained to the minds of the masses that there is never going to be a way to have this never ending circle break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back