• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
-----------------

Now, onto my own map:

Saffron City from my game Pokemon: Blaze Red.
Spoiler:

Saffron lies in a desert in my game, due to the fact that I find it boring Kanto was left without proper biomes, compared to the newer games.

Great Saffron, love it... The Silph Co. however... The shadow is wrong, I don't know if you are a perfectionist or not... Otherwise looks good... I think the PokéCenter door looks stupid, like its on another level to the building itself... Love the cactus tiles.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Great Saffron, love it... The Silph Co. however... The shadow is wrong, I don't know if you are a perfectionist or not... Otherwise looks good... I think the PokéCenter door looks stupid, like its on another level to the building itself... Love the cactus tiles.

I agree here.
Every building has a small shadow, yet silph co's shadow is next to nothing, ideally it should be bigger.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Now, onto my own map:

Saffron City from my game Pokemon: Blaze Red.
Spoiler:

Saffron lies in a desert in my game, due to the fact that I find it boring Kanto was left without proper biomes, compared to the newer games.

Revamp Silph Co., Pokémon Gym, Pokémon Dojo, PokéMart and Pokécenter door. Obviously the perspective problem applies here. The door is modelled at a more linear level, i.e, it looks how it would look if you were looking directly at it. This kind of graphics is good for 3-D orientation (R/S/E uses these kind of graphics). However, the rest of the building(and the map) are modeled more of how they would look if you were looking at them from a height, so it would give more of an "overworld" appearance. This is a typical way of styling 2-D map games (FR/LG uses these kind of graphics). Also the Pokémon Fighting dojo always has its door open, so apply necessary changes.

Already mentioned, Silph Co. building has no shadow. Since it is a tall building, the shadow must reach at least half of the road.

The tiles and the minor revamps depict the Saffron City elements majestically. I can only suggest to keep going and give Saffron City's basic map a little buildup. This looks really good, and I must be giving it a 10/10.

Another problem faced in the map is the desert sand tile. It basically looks like a recoloured water wave tile and fills the small rock-tops without any details. I would like to see more details added, like sand dripping or studded on the mountain walls. One thing I must really give credit for is, the way you handled the detail tiles around the city, like the garbage bin and bicycle stand to packages and garbage bags. It seems like a Saffron City I would like to see.

Another good point is the cactus trees, they look really nice, although can you reduce the density of the desert vegetation? A desert doesn't have too many cacti or any kind of vegetation, in fact. Also add something to top-left, looks a bit empty.

Great job, mate.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
At this point in the game, the player has travelled through a desert to reach the Ruins of Almoor.

This is the main hall of the ruins, and you travel into the pyramid to progress.

I'm a little unsure about this map, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
At this point in the game, the player has travelled through a desert to reach the Ruins of Almoor.

This is the main hall of the ruins, and you travel into the pyramid to progress.

I'm a little unsure about this map, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler:

Not bad, but too much symmetry can be a bad thing... I think if it was less symmetric, it would be better, probably less pillars overall.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years

Spoiler:

The map is very nice. I think the symmetry is nice but it could be a bit less symmetrical. And there are waaaay too many pillars, too much empty space on a map is a bad thing but there is almost no space at all with the pillars around.

7/10

_corruption__route_60_by_nintendork15-d6b3jdv.png

Route 60, the first route in my game. :3

This looks really good. Natural, twisty and lots of unavoidable grassy patches. There are but two things wrong; the colour of the tall grass doesn't blend well with the rest of the map's colours (in my opinion); the other is that there is a small map error where the tops of the trees haven't been added around the middle left side.

9/10

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
Spoiler:

I'm sorta' back for a while with new inspiration to build fangames/actual games (Workin' on a major project comin' in a few years, for whatever generation console.)
But uh, I need opinions on my lousy mapping, mind might I ask give me full opinions on what I can change and modify. Please and thank you ^-^
Edit: I made some changes. How does it look now?

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Years
Spoiler:

I'm sorta' back for a while with new inspiration to build fangames/actual games (Workin' on a major project comin' in a few years, for whatever generation console.)
But uh, I need opinions on my lousy mapping, mind might I ask give me full opinions on what I can change and modify. Please and thank you ^-^
Edit: I made some changes. How does it look now?

There's no problem with being a lousy mapper, you haven't been here in ages. The shadows need to be the same shade of grey and semi-transparent. There is also some empty space. Maybe compress the map a bit. There is also a house in front of the exit.

Your mapping skills will return soon with practice a d support from the game dev community.

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
There's no problem with being a lousy mapper, you haven't been here in ages. The shadows need to be the same shade of grey and semi-transparent. There is also some empty space. Maybe compress the map a bit. There is also a house in front of the exit.

Your mapping skills will return soon with practice and support from the game dev community.

Thanks Ray, the house in front of the exit, it's not actually a exit it's in front of, I actually did select the wrong type of house to put there though :I But, anyway, the shadows I shall fix right now. I used old tilesets from Apexin in this along with new ones I'm inputting, the empty space I shall fill now, along with the secondary spot you see the tree's lined up in a complete row, with the gap in it is actually the exit to the town, exiting into a forest (Old style from Dark Earth, the original way I wanted a game to go) through the forest and into the route. (Short route leading to the next town/city.) Thanks for the reply, I shall fix what is needed now.

Rayquaza.

Years
Here's my new version of Oldoak Town; with less empty space and more of everything else to replace it:

Spoiler:

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Here's my new version of Oldoak Town; with less empty space and more of everything else to replace it:

Spoiler:

I literally couldn't find anything wrong with this, it looked awesome....Until I saw the Pokemon Center/Gym at the bottom. The map looks great, but the style of the Pokemon Center/Gym doesn't go all that well together with the rest of the tiles.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years

Spoiler:

This is a very good map, but I agree with Nuzamaki. The Pokémon Centre looks odd and inconsistent with the visual style of the other buildings, particularly the dome (which looks very basic and unfinished). Also, if this is using Essentials then the player isn't going to see the waterfall feature on the left, nor most of the water on the right. I would open up the rightmost fence, allowing the player to surf on that water - perhaps placing an item the other side?

Other than that, nice job, keep up the good work.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Updated Oldoak Town fixing errors and what-not:

Spoiler:

its okay, but I think you should instead of having the stairs connected to the water, flesh out some land on the far right and have stairs going to the top level that way

other than that it looks great, I like the new building

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Updated Oldoak Town fixing errors and what-not:

Spoiler:
There's no way out of the bottom right area if you don't have a Pokémon that knows Waterfall (or Fly/Teleport, but you shouldn't consider those two an acceptable escape plan). Although, maybe you're not letting players traverse waterfalls in either direction, in which case that's fine.

Rayquaza.

Years
There's no way out of the bottom right area if you don't have a Pokémon that knows Waterfall (or Fly/Teleport, but you shouldn't consider those two an acceptable escape plan). Although, maybe you're not letting players traverse waterfalls in either direction, in which case that's fine.

There won't be a waterfall feature so the player won't be able to up/down the waterfall. The whole HM feature for Pokémon Chaos is to be scrapped for a new & original system.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Spoiler:

Route 60, the first route in my game. :3

I really like that map. The design of the overall route is official-looking. I just think that some of the tile styles clash. For instance the Trees and the Grass fit well together, in terms of both style and colour. On the other hand, the tall grass tiles (while nice) do not fit the rest, in terms of both style and colour. Same goes for the sign and fence. Those two, were actually the things that stood out the most. They just look randomly placed. My advice would be: change the colour of the tall grass to fit more with the rest of the scene, change the sign and fence (they really stick out), and perhaps tone down the shadow of the trees and other elements a little. At the moment, the shadows are really intense.

The whole HM feature for Pokémon Chaos is to be scrapped for a new & original system.

Lol, don't know how I feel about that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back