• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you make your pokemon try to cover its own weakness or aim to cover party weaknesses?

How would you cover a pokemons type weakness?

• Cover its own weakness

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Have a different party pokemon cover the weakness

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I generally like to have a Pokémon cover its own weaknesses, particularly in WiFi battles where you can't use your whole party of 6. I don't like to switch too much (you rack up too much damage from attacks and entry hazards). It also makes it so the Pokémon isn't helpless if you didn't bring a counter or your counter is dead. Nothing wrong with the other option, though.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
Years
Most of the time, to be honest, I make the Pokemon cover its own weakness. A lot of the time it can seriously change the tide of a battle and be a huge surprise for the opponents! At the same time, though, I like to have a team which can balance the weakness of the individuals...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I make sure all Pokémon in my team have moves to cover their own weaknesses. In competitive battles, switching onto other Pokémon who cover your previous mon's weaknesses would risk from being damaged by those sneaky pebbles Stealth Rock, since spikes are avoided by Flying types and Poison types absorb Toxic Spikes. Your goal is to make sure your team is full of Pokémon who are capable to wipe out most if not all of your opponent's team solo with little to no support from your other Pokemon.

Years
I always try to do a bit of each by having as many types covered in my party as possible, and by having my own Pokemon be able to cover their weaknesses when possible. Sometimes (in game at least), I like to throw out a Pokemon that I know is weak to the type I'm about to face, just because I know one of its moves is super effective against that Pokemon, just for fun. I don't do it all that often since it can be risky, but at least I usually have the option.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
That's why I have a team of pokemon - so they can cover each other's weaknesses. IF a pokemon has room for a move to cover its weakness and IF it's powerful enough that it can actually faint the opponent instead of just doing maybe half damage then getting fainted itself anyway, then I might give it a move to cover its weakness, but generally I just give it moves that complement its strengths and count on other pokemon to cover its weaknesses.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Of course having a team is the best way to cover all possible weaknesses. At the same time i try to give each of my Pokemon at least one move that will cover as many as his weaknesses as possible, because they always come in handy.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Of course having a team is the best way to cover all possible weaknesses. At the same time i try to give each of my Pokemon at least one move that will cover as many as his weaknesses as possible, because they always come in handy.

Yeah, I've been starting to think this is the best idea. Might as well do both.

Back