• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2013 in Review Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years

C&M: 2013 in Review!

The end of 2013 is admittedly less exuberant than 2012 considering the world hasn't ended this time around, but we can be grateful for the fact that even a year later we're celebrating our unfortunate end. Now that the new year is quickly approaching - emphasis on quickly... - we can blow dust off the past twelve months in order to highlight the most exciting exploits in order to score prizes by submitting reviews of various elements of popular media to be judged yet again by someone who isn't named Jon. Or Alex, unfortunately! Don't worry if that sounds like a monumental task; this year has been even more of a rollercoaster than 2012, with greatly hyped film releases such as Catching Fire, After Earth, Man of Steel, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, as well as album drops from everyone's favorite artists such as Yeezus, Sunbather, Mechanical Bull, BANGERZ, and Beyoncé. It really has been a great year, so I'm positive that this time around everyone will have something even better to write about than last time, whether it be how annoyed they were with Blurred Lines after the 70,192nd radio play or their love/hate relationship with Lorde's Royals!

Your task is to choose one piece of media released at some point in 2013 and write a review about it, all the while bearing in mind the mentioned theme below. The form of work you choose to review is 100% up to you, be it a song, album, film, TV show, book, documentary, etc. permitting that it was first released/aired in 2013. It might be in your best interest to choose a topic that you feel is one of your favorites or the 'best that 2013 has to offer' so we can better celebrate the year and what's been produced from it; ultimately, however, the choice is up to you. A review is generally an analysis of a piece of media providing both positives and negatives of it from an unbiased point of view before summarizing and reaching a conclusion, often accompanied by a rating; bear these things in mind while writing your entry.

The Theme

2013 has become infamous for being the year of many famous actors' and ennobling people's deaths, including but not limited to Nelson Mandela, James Gandolfini, Richard Griffiths, Paul Walker, and Peter O'Toole, so to commemorate the lives of these people, the theme this year is inspirations. With the new year comes new opportunities, but these people will still live on through the things they've done for the world, so make sure to keep your reviews relating to the topic of inspiration in any way that you see fit. You could take this to mean reviewing a piece of media that has to do with an inspirational person, or over an event in 2013 that inspired you to do something, or you could include the theme in any other way you can possibly think of as long as it's prevalent within the text. Make proper use of the theme and you'll be inspiring others in no time!

Rules

• Anyone and everyone can enter; just post your review in this thread before the deadline.
  • All reviews should be written in English with good spelling and grammar.
  • The theme for this contest is Inspirations, so make sure to use this theme to influence your review. As stated above, it is up to you how this theme is interpreted.
  • If you wish to change your review before the deadline, please edit the original copy rather than posting again.
  • Reviews should be between 500-1500 words; detailed and concise is the way to go!
  • Remember to review rather than recap; a small plot summary is nice and often crucial for bearings on the subject but the bulk of the review should be analytical.
  • Formatting your review well with paragraphs, relevant pictures and extraneous information (a rating, credits, etc.) will help to improve the quality of the review but are by no means necessary; be careful not to over-do formatting!
  • Make sure to proofread your review before submitting the thread.
  • The deadline for submitting reviews is January 31st, 2014. Reviews will then be judged in the following few days and a winner will be announced.
  • If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Prizes

As with the review contests held in previous months, the member chosen to have written the best review will be awarded with a special emblem and a [supporter]supporter tier/usergroup[/supporter]. Everyone else that takes part will receive a participant emblem for making the effort to submit a review.

Happy reviewing!

Past Contests

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
Definitely entering this, loved doing this last year. Consider this post reserved for an awesome review, soon to come. :D

Edit: I'm working on it! Have my into somewhat completed, just need to re-experience my topic to better review. Think this is the first time I'm reviewing anything from the medium of entertainment I'm working on though. D:

Edit 2: MUSIC IS TOO SUBJECTIVE UGH

Last edited:
Years
Count me in as well. I'll start today itself. I won't have time to write it in one go so I'll write in short parts. Also, I hope you don't mind me posting pieces of my review one at a time. As in, me editing out this post at least four-five times before I'm finally done with it. Because I'll be writing a few thousand words on my mobile which is crappy as hell and is prone to bugs where all the text written by me vanishes in an instant, I hope I can do that.

Sucks that I won't be able to do anything fancy like add css or check how large the images I post actually are and all but...ehh, whatever. I'm in it for the fun I'll have while writing anyway, haha. Can I do a two-in-one kind of review too? As in maybe review a show and then review its ost seperately later on in that post itself?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
I'll consider taking part if I have the time which I probably will!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm gonna try to enter this year. I have an album that really inspired me (and probably a few others) if that fits the inspiration theme. I mean it inspired me so that counts. :P

This spot is reserved by me for my possible review. I'll edit it later in case I finish it by the deadline.

Edit: Can more than one person review the same piece of media?

Treecko

Years
Okay cool. I'm sure I'll probably be the only person to review the thing I'll be reviewing (twenty one pilot's Vessel) but it's just to make sure. :P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Going to allow around two more weeks for submissions, so if you're still contemplating what to write about you should settle on something asap!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
With two weeks, it would've been tomorrow.

I'm thinking of extending it by a week considering the lack of submissions compared to last year's contest. :(

Treecko

Years
Is this still going on? I've been so busy with everything like school that I forgot. :( I may have to squeeze mine in if I can. Still looks fun and still want to do this.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Ho-kay, I wasn't around yesterday when I expected to end it, so I'll close it up tonight since there's been a couple of people of recent posing interest. If there's nothing by tonight I'm just trashing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back