• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Like father like son".

Years
I don't know if this belongs here or it requires a broader discussion so judge accordingly, moderators.

Do you think our parents' actions towards us, towards the surroundings are reflected on us? Do our parents' habits become our habits?

neglect the lazy title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Yeah, I might move this. I think it'd be served better in Other Chat where the discussion can roam free lol

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
kelly clarkson's because of you plays in the background
Well, I think that the environment you're raised in does impact you and what you are like. I don't necessarily believe that you have no choice in the matter and that you will have the characteristics of the people who raised you (I have almost none of the qualities my parents and my extended family have) and the environment you were in.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
Well with some it does. But some are rebellious and will do what they can to do the opposite of what their parents do. If the environment is positive then then you may wish to (unintentionally) bring about a ruboff of habits or traits.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Well honestly, I don't think I'm anything like my parents, or well, I suppose we're not quite similar, and we have a lot of differnent views, not to say we don't get along though. Though I do agree with how a child is treated and the enviroment they're in could effect them and how they behave in the future. I suppose this doesn't apply to me so much because it's more or less role models and people I've looked up to growing up that have sort of shaped who I am today.

Years
Yeah, how you're raised really effects what you do, including who you copy. A good example would be the way that a person has a higher chance of abusing someone later in life if they were abused in their childhood

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
Years
well, since our first human experiences are with our parents (not to mention that we're technically bound to them for life) i would have to say that, yes, some components in our personality and belief systems are influences by them. i say "some" because, obviously, as we grow older, we meet other people from different backgrounds, and expose ourselves to the "outside world" that we tend to have different opinions on certain things and form our own individuality.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
My parents beliefs, though I accept them as my own, and the way they do somethings as been passed on to me. The environment has altered some of the ways they'd want me to be like. It's a mixture of both. Mostly the parents though, they tell us not to be consumed by the surroundings.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Usually it does. What we grow up with, we got used to be, what we eventually become. I think what a child sees, he imitates, therefore growing up with what we so call "traits" but are actually passed down characteristics of parents. or anybody living with the child.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I can see this pretty reflected in me in some ways more than others. I wouldn't really want to be like either of my parents in all honesty, for reasons which aren't very difficult to imagine, but I am in some ways. But I believe it's possible to resist that too; there are some ways in which I'm like them, and I don't mind that, but the ways that I'm not like them are the ways I really wouldn't want to be. If that makes sense. So yeah just from personal experience (I haven't really looked at any studies or whatever) I don't think that a child's behaviour will be fully reflective of the environment that it grew up in.

That said I haven't seen facts or figures or whatever. Has anyone got any?

Years
You're raised primarily by your parents, so yeah, some of their traits rub off on you, and then to your kids, so on and so forth. I have my Dad's penchant for being a smartass and my mom's large mouth, haha.

Last edited:
Years
well, since our first human experiences are with our parents (not to mention that we're technically bound to them for life) i would have to say that, yes, some components in our personality and belief systems are influences by them. i say "some" because, obviously, as we grow older, we meet other people from different backgrounds, and expose ourselves to the "outside world" that we tend to have different opinions on certain things and form our own individuality.
How exactly are we "bound to them for life?" Some people choose to be, but I don't see how it's true for everyone.

I think what people get from their parents are more habits than aspects of personality. For instance, how I wash and fold my clothes is just like how my parents do theirs. Personality-wise I don't see any more resemblance among my brother, my parents and me than I do among myself, my boss, and my neighbors. I think similarities in families are just due to the fact that a lot of how people, all people, act and feel are going to be a little similar anyway.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
Years
Yeah, to some extent. You may not be like your parents, but I have found that people's morals and values have come from their parents (obviously not in every case). For the most part, I agree with what my parents say and value, but we do have our differences.

Back