• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Elemental Monkeys

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I got Pansage, and I only ever used it to beat the first Gym Leader. I didn't really care about it afterwards, as it wasn't very useful to me later.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I prefer the Pansage line over the other two, though I used Panpour in Pokemon White until I could catch a Frillish.

Years
I think they are okay. I even used Panpour (or better said Simipour) in my team in Black and trained it to a high level. Scald was an interesting move to use. Though there are certainly stronger Pokémon out there.
On a side note Simisage always reminded me of Ace Ventura...

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Not a fan of those monkeys. I already dislike money-like things in terms of aesthetics (that includes humans. Though they're not as butt-ugly as other monkeys. :P) and I was repelled more by the cutesy large-head baby image as well. I see large heads and small bodies as just punching bags of absurdity, because it really looks like it'd just go back and forth if you kept punching it. These monkeys suffer a very egregious case of it.

So I ignored them and just beat the gym with my Snivy and a Lillipup. Wasn't all that difficult.

I'll admit I find their evolved forms to be better-looking and more amusing, and perhaps I'd use them in a future team. But since that was my first time playing the game, I wanted to use a lot of the super epic Pokemon I saw revealed rather than some... monkeys.

Years
I think I used the ones I got for the first Gym battle a few times, but for the most part, they were placed in my box and acted as Cut HM Slaves until I got something better. I wasn't really a fan of their designs, and there were other Pokemon I wanted to use over them, so yeah XD

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
Years
I never cared for the monkeys. They're probably some of my least favorite gen. V Pokemon. Nevertheless, I was excited to find Pansage in X/Y.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
My first runthrough of Pokemon White/Black was an all Dark-type run (Minus Scraggy, because I did NOT like Scraggy back then), so while I did appreciate Pansage saving my team at the first Gym, he soon found himself being put away for an early retirement.

My second runthrough consisted of nothing but Lucario and Bisharp, so again those monkeys saw no love for me.

I think I'm going to commit to raising all three of them for a Competitive Battle scenario, just because I'm showing underrated Pokemon lots of love these days.

Years
I detested their designs. The concept was good, but their evolutions were bland and predictable. I guess I expected something more from the trio, so I never ended up using them in B/W, or any game in which they're available for that matter. At least they didn't make them the starters of the Unova region. d:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
In every one of my playthroughs I would use it against the gym leader, then box it right away! Sorry, monkeys! I don't really like any of their designs that much, so I never felt compelled to bring any of them along.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I chose Tepig so I ended up with Pansage. I ended up replacing Pansage with Gothita by the time it got to level 23, really, I had no use for it afterwards.

Flow So Gorgeous

Flipping Awesome
Years
I didn't care for the monkeys, or the first gym for that matter. The gym forces you to get a monkey unless you trained up your starter to levels that are way higher than par or used one of the 3 catchable pokemon up to that point, and even then Patrat is mediocre and Purrloin is worse. Lillipup is the only decent catch, but it requires some dedication, and I don't want to use Lillipup all the time. As for the monkeys, Pansear had Incinerate at that point and Panpour had Water Gun, and because the monkeys were more physical, those moves weren't too great on them. Pansage had Vine Whip, which made it half decent, but there were better Pokemon options. This concept was ok the first play-through, but any other play-through, it was more annoying due to limited choices and being more, albeit veiled, tutorial in a game that already had way too much tutorial .

Zapdos86

BURD! BURD! BURD!
Years
I think that the concept of these monkeys were pretty cool, but I never got around to begin showing any interest in them. I didn't use them on my team or on the first gym for some reason. :P

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Nope, not for me, please get those monkeys out of my face :x Just collected them for Pokedex purposes and boxed them right away :3

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Pansear, although once it evolved it really didn't make much sense having it as it doesn't really learn any other moves and such after that.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
When I first played White, I chose Snivy, so I ended up with Panpour. I actually used it even after the Striaton gym battle, and I even evolved it into a Simipour. It wasn't that great sadly, so I eventually replaced it, especially since I ended up using two better Water-types, Carracosta and Seismitoad.

Now, my boyfriend is having his first run through White, chose Tepig, so he got Pansage. I am so surprised at how well he's doing, he's now a Simisage and he practically destroyed Clay's gym all by himself, with just Seed Bomb.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Ew, the monkeys. Sorry, but I do not like these guys at all. I didn't even bother to use them against the first Gym. Yeah, their designs aren't exactly appealing to me. That and I can only assume that they would be deadweights to my team even after they evolved.

Years
Surprisingly, I used my Simisage 'til the end of my White playthrough. ... Then I realized how terrible the elemental monkeys are. xD

Back