• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Wow, that guy is horrible :\ I don't want to say anything, but I'm pretty sure I know what his religion is...
Good thing you got rid of him, though :) Maybe you can now get a roommate that'll allow girls in the dorm....

You do? Me and my friend were trying to figure it out, what is it? Aha, I sure hope so or not get another one. I like living alone.

You're a lot more tolerant of people's religious views that I would have been. I mean, people can believe what they want, but if I were in your shoes I would have said "If you don't want girls in the dorm, don't bring girls into the dorm." Kind of like my stance on gay marriage which is "if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay-married."

Really? Hmm, I just didn't want to be rude and thought that's what "a respectable" person would've done. I really didn't realize how dumb it was until my (girl) friends wanted to come over and I had to deny them that privilege.

Yeah... I'm gonna go with Scarf on this one lol. When I read this (and I'm sure I replied to it when I read it, but I guess the disgust was just swirling through my head and I didn't actually write it down) I just thought "what. the. ****."

I don't take to people's religious views very well. So if somebody had tried to use their religion to impose on who I could bring into my own home, I would be very much not OK with that. Even without the whole gay thing, I would have gotten rid of him the fastest I could.

The worst part of this is that I can see it in my head lol. He's just reading your sheet then gets to that part. All of a sudden he puts the sheet down, walks to his room, puts his stuff in a bag and leaves. That would have just infuriated me, it's like you were diseased or something. Oh well, that jackass will get what's coming to him, one way or another.

(C/P what I said to Scarf here~) Also, it did make me pretty mad but I knew that he'd would be requesting a change, which made me happier. I just wasn't sure what to do in that situation as I've never been it before. It definitely prepares me and hopefully next time I don't get a prick.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Hey guys,

I have returned to the PC, after what has been nearly 6 months, maybe more.
Not much new has happened in my life though; although, it seems like my political science courses discussions have been gearing toward some LGBTQ-related issues due to the upcoming election.

This one girl actually yelled out, "you know what, I just don't care; it's wrong because I know it's wrong," after I pointed out her flawed propositions in a ten minute long rebuttal, since she never took the time to formulate an opinion rather than restating a learned prejudice. After she said that though, I just kept my composure and smiled and said, "well, you just proved my point; ultimately you are saying something is wrong using the fact that it is wrong to prove that point. That is a circular argument, which is derived from a prejudice rather than a philosophical argument." After that, she just glared down at her desk in anguish and didn't participate in any of the class discussion for the remaining hour of class.

Oh boy, I can just tell this is going to be a great year. XD

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
@Retro Bug - I demand to know what twenty-something heterosexual male college student in their right mind has a problem with girls being in his dorm.

No, seriously, tell me. It's like a paradox.

Religious views are one thing, and sure, respect of each other's beliefs is key. I wouldn't want anyone making me doing or watching something I'm uncomfortable with or don't believe in. But that was ridiculous. I think if I were you, I would've had a follow up discussion with my roommate if that came up. In what way does me bringing friends over impose on his religious beliefs?

Ugh, well, think on the bright side. In many ways that whole "leaving" stunt he did was better than what it could've been. He could've done something worse had he had a more violent disposition, and quite frankly, a passive aggressive bigot leave is much more preferable.

Here's to luck with any future roommates to you my sexy charming friend!

@PhantomX0990 - Y U MAK ME CRI ;;

That was beautiful. Very touching. Maybe one day you'll be back together. Maybe.

@-ty- - Good job. Hopefully she's re-thinking her mindset? Nice to see you again, btw. Welcome back.

Years
Hey guys,

I have returned to the PC, after what has been nearly 6 months, maybe more.
Not much new has happened in my life though; although, it seems like my political science courses discussions have been gearing toward some LGBTQ-related issues due to the upcoming election.

This one girl actually yelled out, "you know what, I just don't care; it's wrong because I know it's wrong," after I pointed out her flawed propositions in a ten minute long rebuttal, since she never took the time to formulate an opinion rather than restating a learned prejudice. After she said that though, I just kept my composure and smiled and said, "well, you just proved my point; ultimately you are saying something is wrong using the fact that it is wrong to prove that point. That is a circular argument, which is derived from a prejudice rather than a philosophical argument." After that, she just glared down at her desk in anguish and didn't participate in any of the class discussion for the remaining hour of class.

Oh boy, I can just tell this is going to be a great year. XD
It always makes me so sad to see young people with such prejudice. I wonder where they get it from. Older people I sort of understand because back when they first had learned about the fact that gay people existed it was probably something that no one knew much about and there were a lot of misconceptions, but today? How does someone not having a kid in their school who is gay, or a family member, or a neighbor, or at the very least see someone on television or other media?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Prejudice is learned. The older people who don't have the brain power to overcome their own bigotry can't help but spread it to the younger generation. The ones that allow it to stick are the ones that are weak-willed and impressionable, and should be pitied for that.

Also, it's great to have you back, ty!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
There's a lot of ways a young person can learn to prejudge other people (especially homosexuals). It's not only the parents or grandparents. Media and friends can affect someone's brain as much as stubborn parents.
For example, if someones best friend is extremely homophobic, the same's to be expected from that someone (especially someone who is weak-willed/stupid)

Also, prejudice comes with stupidity. There are a lot of stupid people out there, who think that everything they do is awesome, and anything different is wrong and should be hated. Also, it's almost impossible to make a stupid person change their mind about anything! If a stupid person believes that milk is black, you couldn't change his mind even by showing him milk... yeah, a stupid example, but you get what I'm trying to say.

I believe that at least 80% of people are as stupid as I just described. If not even more...

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Good to be back Kiyoshi, Scarf, and Andy :)

Yeah, this girl said she went to a baptist church twice a week. There, I am sure she gets a regular condemnation of homosexuality; although the bible makes very little, if any claims about homosexuality. Her parents probably solidify that viewpoint as well; she mentioned her parents were avid church-goers and were also part of the republican party (and got her participating with them).

Not to point fingers at either Republicans or Baptists, but the likeliness that someone will become homophobic increases dramatically if one grows up in a household that is extremely right-wing and follows the Baptist faith. So, in a way, she might not be homophobic if she were raised by a non-religious or tolerant religious family and/or if her parents were libertarian/democrat/independent. She would actually be highly likely to support gay rights if she was adopted by gay parents.

This all sort of ties into the idea of freewill. We are placed in a certain circumstance by birth, that we have no choice in. Factors included: where we are born, ethnicity/race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, medical conditions, religion, economic status, among other factors.

Our upbringing is not really much of a choice, so it's hard to change someone's ideals when they are ingrained into them. As Scarf mentioned, the number one reason why people switch their views on gay rights and homosexuality is discovering that a close relative is gay. Usually the impact can be gauged by how close the relationship is; if a second cousin is gay, then it may have little effect, and if their sibling or child is gay, it may have an enormous effect. All-in-all, gay rights support has soared simply because more people are able to come out than ever as gay rights and gay television/media is not being swept under the rug, and instead, is being integrated into our culture. IF I were born in the 50's or earlier, I most likely would not come out. The amount of people who are coming out really has legimized the concern for the those with close gay family members and the general population at large.

In short, I can't exactly hold her accountable for the upbringing she had, but I can try to make her think more logically in order to make her consider whether her ideals on homosexuality (from her upbringing) have negative effects on society. I totally keep the angry we're-queer-and-we're-here persona under complete wraps, since that is absolutely not effective on homophobic-types. I don't know if many, if any of the people in class know I am gay either; I would rather them not for the sake of the argument, so they don't think I am biased; although, my professor that I had from a previous class knows that I am gay.

Years
In short, I can't exactly hold her accountable for the upbringing she had, but I can try to make her think more logically in order to make her consider whether her ideals on homosexuality (from her upbringing) have negative effects on society. I totally keep the angry we're-queer-and-we're-here persona under complete wraps, since that is absolutely not effective on homophobic-types. I don't know if many, if any of the people in class know I am gay either; I would rather them not for the sake of the argument, so they don't think I am biased; although, my professor that I had from a previous class knows that I am gay.
It's funny. If you want to get people to understand your point of view you can't use the obvious and simple argument that "hey, this doesn't affect you in any way so let people do what they want" because it's so simple an idea that they just bat it away like a fly, like it can't be valid because it's so simple.

That part I bolded there, that's the kind of thing that irritates me to no end. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they can't make a coherent argument without ever referencing their own sexuality, but you'd get dismissed by a lot of people if you were supportive and then people found out you're gay.

Oh, let me also share something to make you want to vomit.

Srsly, this acting is so bad I could spew. Also, the message is terrible, backwards, etc.
watch

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I need to ask a question which I may know the answer too but maybe my answer is the wrong one. Ok so I'm trans and all but have not gotten the operation. However I wore skinny jeans and a girl Hot Topic shirt today to school today and did get some stares but a bunch of kids in the cafe just called me out on it. Now here is what I don't get. They were boys with pants pulled down and you could see their boxers and girls hardly wearing anything to cover up and yet they call me out for wearing girl clothes. Is it they are just stupid and ignorant or should I not dress as a girl in public without the operation. I mean I met some very supportive people about the whole thing today too but wondering if doing it at school is to much compared to just doing it at home or around the town/city. Sorry if it was worded wrong

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I need to ask a question which I may know the answer too but maybe my answer is the wrong one. Ok so I'm trans and all but have not gotten the operation. However I wore skinny jeans and a girl Hot Topic shirt today to school today and did get some stares but a bunch of kids in the cafe just called me out on it. Now here is what I don't get. They were boys with pants pulled down and you could see their boxers and girls hardly wearing anything to cover up and yet they call me out for wearing girl clothes. Is it they are just stupid and ignorant or should I not dress as a girl in public without the operation. I mean I met some very supportive people about the whole thing today too but wondering if doing it at school is to much compared to just doing it at home or around the town/city. Sorry if it was worded wrong

This is a situation with no perfect option :(

But here are my thoughts; I think some other members might be more able to give this type of advice.

Assuming you don't live in an accepting city like New York City, San Francisco, Fort Lauder-dale, Ann Arbor, Seattle, among several other cities, here is what I would do, or suggest for you to do.

If you feel as if you will be physically harmed for dressing more feminine, I would say ride-it-out; you don't have to dress particularly masculine or feminine, more neutral attire might be a better choice for you while in public places that are not accepting. Of course, your life is your first and foremost concern.

I know it feels cowardly and unfair, but it may be your only option until you are able to move. I know it is not right for anyone to judge you or harm you because of your gender identity, but if there is no safe-way of going about expressing your true gender in a given situation, then it may have to be a concession on your part to dress less feminine.

Although finances may not always permit, I think moving to a LGBT-friendly city and/or neighborhood would be the best solution you can make for yourself.
Similarly, if you are to have several corrective surgeries, it may help your ability to go about your life with less fear of being harassed for expressing yourself. Of course, that is very expensive as well.

I know this is not much, if any, help for your situation; let's see if anyone else has something to add or has differing advice.

@ Scarf -
Those videos LITERALLY seem like parody videos. XD
I absolutely love the dramatic piano music, along with the 3rd grade acting.

Years
First, those people are prejudiced. It's not about how much skin/underwear you show, it's that you're breaking gender norms and they're not going to use their reason in that case 'cause their prejudice is in the way. People like that aren't going to be very self-aware or sympathetic.

Anyway, here is my advice: do what makes you comfortable.

Obviously, other people can make you feel uncomfortable, or even unsafe, if they're exceptionally prejudiced. Don't do anything that makes you feel like you're in danger. As much as you should be able to dress and be whoever you want to be, there can be danger depending on what kind of place you live in and it's not worth getting hurt.

You don't need surgery to dress how you want to. You might feel better, more comfortable, more confident with the surgery, but it's not something you should feel you absolutely have to have. I just don't want you to think that you have to wait, that you can't do something until you get it because there are a lot of things that can get in the way if you let yourself fall into that mode of thinking. If you want to work up the courage you can always dress your way at home (if you don't already) and gradually change your look in public, but to be honest I don't see why anyone would take issue with skinny jeans like those jerks did.

But again, it's about your comfort in being who you are. It seems like you want to dress how you did and you were fine with it until some jerks got involved. I don't want to tell you how you should look at this and I don't know your personal situation, but I would like to think that if you just did your thing like you already tried that you could just ignore the haters and have enough faith in yourself not to get brought down by them. Seems that there are good people you've met so I'd listen to them, too. Get some of your support from them because they seem to have their heads in the right place.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
@PhantomX0990 - Y U MAK ME CRI ;;

That was beautiful. Very touching. Maybe one day you'll be back together. Maybe.

*hands tissue* I don't like people crying, it makes me feel like punching something cause that means that someone hurt them. In this case that'd be me, and I really don't want to punch myself.

We won't, and we know it. I don't do long distance relationships very well, and she's moved on. Which is a good thing. I want her happy. But if anyone hurts her so help me I will scalp them.

Last edited:

Altix

Son of a Snivy and a Zoroark
Years
This week was my first week of school, and it was terribly depressing. Every day I would hear like 20+ gay slurs. so ya.... I don't think I will be starting a GSA.

Ugh.

Years
Maybe that's a good reason to start a GSA?

To me, it seems there are probably three different things that could come out of starting one. 1) People become more hostile now that they have "targets" for their slurs and hatred (not likely at all, I don't think) or 2) people's attitudes aren't changed, but at least you and other students have a safe space to talk (fairly common from what I understand) or 3) you increase awareness and understanding among some of the students (good chance it'll do something like this at some level).

So... don't give up hope yet.

Altix

Years
Well, I live in Idaho. The principal would not let me start one. He is an old man.

Years
Maybe he'll die retire soon?

I can't say I know the laws about these things, but I have to wonder if a principal can stop you from having one. Is there anyone who works at the school (teacher, counselor, staff person) who you think would be able to help you? They'd know if there were a student handbook or something that showed what rules you'd have to follow would be so that you could say you're following all the rules and they couldn't stop you for something technical like that. And they could be a voice of reason in those meetings and discussions that don't involve students.

Dunno what your situation is, but it's something to think about it.

Altix

Years
Nah, he is only 50. Anyway I think I am the only out gay kid in the school.

I emailed my principal...I will still try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
That's a good start! Even if he still says no at least you tried. And maybe other people have asked about it separately, too. Sometimes a lot of little efforts together can pay off in a big way.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
Maaan, good luck, Altix! I bet if you start that club you won't be the only out LGBT student. That club could really benefit the school - more schools need GSAs, honestly. -w-

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
You're in middle school, so there are inevitably going to be far more gay slurs there than anywhere else in the world, even if you don't live in a homophobic place. That's just how it is. lol

Good luck though. Hope you succeed.

Back