• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Fighting Monotype Challenge: Black White Version
7/8

So I continued from where I left off, after I finally received my Save Dongle, and traveled through the Chargestone Cave and then remembered that I have to go to Celestial Tower before fighting Skyla. Skyla herself was pretty hard, considering that her Swanna is freaking insane. Then came Twist Mountain, which I hate and am so glad to be past it. Brycen was a cake walk. Now I'm in Dragonspiral Tower hunting Team Plasma.

Team:
Spoiler:

New team layout courtesy of Pokecheck and my Save Dongle. :D Also, only 99 posts to 3000! Let's make it before I make the new thread GO!

Last edited:
Years
I was thinking of doing and "ultimate hacks challenge', but if Kalos has to be included, I guess I can't do that. Oh well.

Username: Meppy
Type: Poison
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Leafgreen, SoulSilver, Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y

There's my new sign up. I'll probably be playing Sapphire first. Because challenge. Champion Steven would like to battle!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I was thinking of doing and "ultimate hacks challenge', but if Kalos has to be included, I guess I can't do that. Oh well.

Username: Meppy
Type: Poison
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Leafgreen, SoulSilver, Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y

There's my new sign up. I'll probably be playing Sapphire first. Because challenge. Champion Steven would like to battle!

Kalos isn't required until the end of the month.

GawenStarTeller

I am a fish.
Years
The only team size requirement is that it must have at least 2. If you want to switch out along the way it's not a big deal.

You can't use it in battle, but releasing is unnecessary. Just box it, unless you want to release it.

Thanks again... I'll get started on FireRed right away. It's not like having more than 6 Pokemon will matter though, as in FireRed I can only catch 5 Bug Types. (Butterfree, Beedrill, Parasect, Venomoth, and Syther)

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's a few updates on some random monotypes I've been working on that I've already started (Flying and Steel to be exact). I'll keep the updates short, mainly because I did these a few weeks ago and honestly don't remember enough of the details to have huge updates. Also, I'd like to get started on another monotype on Y, but I want to transfer over my Dragon team first.. So I'll either have to wait until Bank comes out or until I fell the motivation to ask someone in the trade corner to help me out.

Flying
Diamond - I've worked my way through the first five gyms, and I've caught all of my team. I do remember struggling with Roark (I had to spam Double Team and wait to get lucky enough to finally win), but other than that it's been smooth sailing!
Team:
398.png
Staraptor / lv35 / Close Combat, Double Team, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace
426.png
Drifblim / lv35 / Gust, Fly, Payback, Ominous Wind
414.png
Mothim / lv35 / Gust, Psybeam, Hidden Power (Rock), Confusion
198.png
Murkrow / lv35 / Wing Attack, Night Shade, Assurance, Faint Attack

Black 2 - An even less exciting update here, as I haven't really had any issues up to where I am now. So far, I've made it through the first four gyms, and right now I'm in Route 6 working on training my freshly caught Ducklett before taking on Clay in the Driftveil Gym.
Team:
521.png
Unfezant / lv33 / Air Slash, Roost, Air Cutter, Return
561.png
Sigilyph / lv33 / Psywave, Tailwind, Air Cutter, Psybeam
630.png
Mandibuzz / lv33 / Pluck, Punishment, Return, Faint Attack
580.png
Ducklett / lv24 / Water Pulse, Aerial Ace, BubbleBeam, Aqua Ring

Type:
flying.png

✔Pokemon Blue Version
006.png
018.png
012.png
130.png

✔Pokemon Gold Version
164.png
169.png
123.png
130.png

✔Pokemon Emerald Version
279.png
277.png
169.png
334.png

Pokemon Diamond Version
398.png
426.png
414.png
198.png
(5/8)
Pokemon Black 2 Version
521.png
561.png
630.png
580.png
(4/8)
Pokemon ?? Version

Steel
Ruby - Right now, I've made it up to Mauville and I'm training a little bit before taking on Watson. I had a little bit of trouble with Brawly, but I was sure to be a little overleveled so he wasn't too big of an issue.
Team:
303.png
Mawile / lv26 / Vicegrip, Faint Attack, Astonish, Bite
304.png
Aron / lv26 / Metal Claw, Headbutt, Mud-Slap, Take Down

Type:
steel.png

Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon Ruby Version
303.png
304.png
(2/8)
Pokemon ?? Version
✔Pokemon Black 2 Version
448.png
462.png
530.png
476.png
625.png
376.png

Pokemon ?? Version

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
would like to withdraw this challenge, due to lack of time to finish it, not be able to play at least 3 weeks, and knowing that the challenge ultimate will add the kalos region later this month, I not be able to meet the requirements to finish, thank you very much.

Kalos isn't required until the end of the month.

Years
Sapphire update #1

Spoiler:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Figured I'd post my first update:

Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 3, 2022
Ultimate Water Challenge, Firered LeafGreen part 2
Spoiler:

DOUBLE UPDATE COMBO

Ultimate Water Challenge, SoulSilver part 1
Spoiler:

Oh, also I have a question. When the new thread appears next month, do all of us current challengers have to start over, or do we just get shifted over?

Last edited:
Years
Second Sapphire update. This time span was so annoying. Training a Zubat that only knows Supersonic and Leech Life isn't an easy task.

Log:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Badges: 2/8

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
3rd Update for Crystal:
-defeated rival in the Goldenrod Tunnel
-Quilava evolved into Typhlosion
-defeated Clair
-defeated rival in Victory Road
-defeated the Elite Four and the Champion

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 3, 2022
Ultimate Water Challenge, FireRed LeafGreen part 3
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I'm back--in Black! (insert guitar solo here)
Blaze Black Update:
I was successful in defeating Clay and getting my 5th badge, however it did take 4 attempts and a long grind to level 50 to all of my pokemon to even stand a chance and then I ended with only 1 pokemon left (gengar) who survived the attack that 1 shot everyone else and happened to knock out the last 3 of his pokemon.
I am progressing slowly but surely, now that I'm done with kalos until I add it to my challenge after my wife beats it I will work on cracking out some more of my poison challenge.

Sent from my Xperia Z.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
6th Update, Rock Challenge on Platinum:
-made it to Celestic Town, training Rhyhorn along the way
-showed Cyrus that 11 year olds are the most dangerous things to plans of world domination
-got the HM for Surf
-beat the few trainers to the west of Celestic Town
-explored the rest of Wayward Cave when I realized that it doesn't require Strength
-caught a Finneon to surf on
-explored some new places that are only Surf accessible
-evolved Graveler into Golem
-made my way to Canalave City
-visited Iron Island, got the HM for Strength, did some training with Riley, and beat a pair of Galactic goons
-Took on the Steel gym, which wasn't hard (except for that one guy's Scizor). Just spam Earthquake.
-was instructed to go to Lake Valor, since Team Galactic felt the best way to drain the water out was via a bomb

Current Badges:

Current Team:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
My classmates playing PokeMMO made me feel like playing some pokemon again. So Im starting 2 challenges:

- The Unova part of my Ultimate Water Challenge i started when i joined 2.5 years ago. White 2
- An electric Kanto, continuing my list of Kanto monotypes with the hardest of them all. Fire Red

Here is my first update for electric:

- Started the game as "Blitz" with my rival "Slowpo"
- Picked, as per my personal rule, the water starter when no starter was going on my team. Named it "Surfboard"
- Went ahead and caught a Pikachu, naming it "Emile"
- Grinded a TON for Brock, and it still came down to struggle and 8 potions -_____-
NH4WUwT.png

- Trudged through Mt Moon as fast as my not very effective Quick Attacks could. Being horribly overleveled helped.
- Thunderbolted Misty
- Did stuff, got Cut
- After getting Magnitude OHKO'ed twice, i made it to route 10 where i caught "Tim" the Voltorb (Anyone who watches them should see where the names are coming from now :P)

Team:

Emile, lv 37 Pikachu
pikachu.png

Thunderbolt, Dig, Mega Punch
"Soloing with Pikachu was incredibly simple, albeit slow at times. But it all changed when the Magnitude Geodudes attacked."

Tim, lv 18 Voltorb
voltorb.png

Sonicboom
"Just got him, he doesn't even have an electric attack yet. Might teach him Shock Wave soon."

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Water monotype - Sapphire
Finally, another too-long monotype done! This one I actually started probably 2 years ago and I had completely forgotten about it until last summer at some point. Anyhow, I finally defeated the champion after losing 3 of my team to his stupid Cradily.

Final team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
Blaze Black update:
I got the jet badge and was equally levelled with the gym leader. The three on three battle was enough to get my pokemon knocked out twice but the third time I was able to organize a strat that did more damage to more pokemon per round, namely icy wind and air cutter. I only have 2 badges to go and at a full team of 56's I hope the end game elite 4 and ending champ aren't all level 100.

I'm going to take a short break from normal pokemon and work on my delta species challenge. I'll be back sooner than my last break.

Sent from my Xperia Z.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
7th Update, Rock Challenge on Platinum:
-as per Rowan's request, I went to Lake Valor to see what happened. Wrecked some Galactic grunts and Saturn
-Flew on down to Lake Verity to save Lucas and Rowan's asses from Team Galactic, beating Mars again.
-headed off to Snowpoint City, going through Mt.Coronet and the freezing cold on the way (cold in real life, cold in the game, god I hate the cold)
-got the HM for Rock Climb
-Rhyhorn evolved into Rhydon, taught it Surf and Hammer Arm
-bumped into my rival, who informed me of what I already knew: I'd need to beat the Snowpoint gym to use Rock Climb so I could get to Lake Acuity
-Challenged the Snowpoint Gym. The regular gym trainers were easy. Lotta them had pokes slower than Rhydon (you know you're slow when Rock types outspeed you), who swatted them aside with Hammer Arms and Rock Blasts. Candice proved to be a better opponent. I lost to her the first time (which I guess is what happens when 3 of your 5 Rock pokes are also part Ground). Her Abomasnow and Piloswine, of all things, gave me the most trouble. Beat her in round 2 since I was more aware of what she could do. And items help too, of course. The match ended up being Probopass vs Froslass. Fortunately, Probes's high Sp.Defense (so glad it has a Sassy nature) and typing made it take little damage from her attacks, but I had to use Shock Wave becauese of hail+Snow Cloak+Double Team. Several Super Potions and many Shock Waves later, I had the Icicle Badge in my frozen, digital little fingers.
-Scaled the cliff and enter Lake Acuity just in time to see my rival get beaten by Jupiter
-got the hell outta the freezing cold of northern Sinnoh and went to a few places that are Rock Climb accessible
-went to Veilstone to deal with Team Galactic, but decided to first go gamble at the Game Corner (taking down a criminal organization can wait, right?). Wasn't doing well until I got a lucky streak. Unfortunately, 842 Coins isn't enough to buy any of the Game Corner's prizes...

Current Badges:

Current Team:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_4p_111_m.png

Eat me.

I'm food
Years
1st Update - Poison Monotype (LeafGreen) (2/8)

-got me Bulbasaur
-evolved Bulba to Ivy
-defeated Brock
-caught me Nidoran♂
-evolved me Nidoran♂ to Nidorino
-evolved me Nidorino to Nidoking
-defeated Misty

Current Team

Nidoking Lv21
Brave | Poison Point
Mega Kick | Peck | Focus Energy | Double Kick

Ivysaur Lv23
Docile | Overgrow
Tackle | Sleep Powder | Razor Leaf | Vine Whip

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 3, 2022
Ultimate Water Challenge, Firered Leafgreen part 4
Spoiler:

And that's game!
Team Photo:
Spoiler:

Oh also it turns out my Trainer ID was 33455. how cool is that?
(Photos courtesy of friend William, who lent me LeafGreen; he also lent me a gameboy player or whatever it's called so I could do the final battle on the TV and get photos of quality. Many thanks to friend William.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back