• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The hardest Legendary to catch?

Years
We've got Pokemon that roam about at random, have super-confusing locations to navigate, recovery moves that draw out the battle or lots of unusual requirements like trading other pokemon or deciphering codes. Some pokemon simply just appear at very high levels that make them challenging.

Who was the most daunting legendary for you to capture?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Anything that roams.

You have to find them, get ONE turn because they flee and then there's multiple more even if you manage it.

I don't care about legendaries, but these are by far the worst because of that. I found myself caring even LESS about them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2018
I'd say it's definitely the roaming legendaries. They're always such a pain lol

Years
This might not fit the requirements exactly because the hard part isn't actually catching them, but unlocking them. The regis in Ruby & Sapphire were the hardest legendaries to get a hold of. Back then, at least for kids my age, the internet wasn't so easy to navigate. This made all the little requirements EXTREMELY difficult to figure out on your own. I actually can't even remember if I was able to figure it out on my own or if i ended up asking my older brother for help. Funny enough, the roaming legendaries from G/S/C weren't that hard for me since they usually just showed up while i was walking from point a to point b. Guess I was just lucky there.

Years
i suppose i will participate in this discussion. In my honest opinion roaming legendaries are fine as Trapping trivializes the searching over and over part but ironically i would have to say FRLG roaming pokemon specifically Entei and raikou. personally in my life time i have never encountered them. if someone does the Roar bug will ruin it as it causes the beasts to disappear from the save file forcing the player to not use the shadow tag/Arena trap trick to catch them.

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I love roamers to death, but I have to objectively put the FRLG roamers as both hardest and worst to catch in any game ever for one simple reason: the Pok?Dex resets to Bulbasaur's position every time you check it and even I don't have the patience for that.

1/8192 shiny odds? Good.
Finding Feebas? Good.
Catching level 15 Dragonair in Gen I? Good.
FRLG roamers? No. No no no.

I have limits ;_;

Years
FR/LG Zapdos and Emerald Rayquaza are the bane of my existence.

I don't really think even Mewtwo was that hard to catch. RNG really hated me when I was a kid.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Even among all the roamers, catching FRLG's roamers would suck hard assuming you're conservative of that fucking Master Ball.

Years
This answer might surprise a lot of people but I found the legendary birds in XY the most infuriating roamers. They technically become stationary eventually I know, but I thought they were worse to catch than the legendary beasts or the Lati twins, Mesprit or other roamers because in the previous cases at least the legendaries become fair game as soon as you see them. You can throw your master ball or try to trap them with mean look or shadow tag. But with these legendaries you encounter them in the wild but can't do trubbish about it. They run away automatically and you are not even prompted to catch them.

This is not like a one time thing. You have to run into them over and over again like a dozen times. Wtf? Why?

This is not say like Suicune in the Johto games where she interacts with your trainer sprite and runs away a couple of times at a set location as part of the story. Your encounter with the legendary bird is completely random.

I have never caught one of the birds in XY. Its just way too much time investment. I'm willing to ride up and down the route to trigger 1 encounter, but not 10. I just don't really see the point of this. Its so tedious, and unlike with Eusine's character in Crystal/ HGSS there isn't much explanation for why this is happening.

Q: What is worse than looking for a roaming legendary?

A: Having it flee from you.

Q: What is worse than having it flee from you?

A: Having it flee from you 9 different times.

Q: What is worse than having a roaming legendary flee from you 9 times?

A: Having it flee when you had a friggin master ball right there in your bag each time.

You don't know when your going to encounter this Pokemon again, it can change routes. You have to have this same fruitless encounter over and over again, with no real explanation. No, it just wasn't even worth it. I have caught roamers before but not these.

I was at the end of Pokemon Y and had done everything beat the E4, conquered the battle chateau, Maison and institute, looker's side quest, caught all the other legendaries, and still had seen Moltres only twice. No, just no...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
This answer might surprise a lot of people but I found the legendary birds in XY the most infuriating roamers. They technically become stationary eventually I know, but I thought they were worse to catch than the legendary beasts or the Lati twins, Mesprit or other roamers because in the previous cases at least the legendaries become fair game as soon as you see them. You can throw your master ball or try to trap them with mean look or shadow tag. But with these legendaries you encounter them in the wild but can't do trubbish about it. They run away automatically and you are not even prompted to catch them.

This is not like a one time thing. You have to run into them over and over again like a dozen times. Wtf? Why?

This is not say like Suicune in the Johto games where she interacts with your trainer sprite and runs away a couple of times at a set location as part of the story. Your encounter with the legendary bird is completely random.

I have never caught one of the birds in XY. Its just way too much time investment. I'm willing to ride up and down the route to trigger 1 encounter, but not 10. I just don't really see the point of this. Its so tedious, and unlike with Eusine's character in Crystal/ HGSS there isn't much explanation for why this is happening.

Q: What is worse than looking for a roaming legendary?

A: Having it flee from you.

Q: What is worse than having it flee from you?

A: Having it flee from you 9 different times.

Q: What is worse than having a roaming legendary flee from you 9 times?

A: Having it flee when you had a friggin master ball right there in your bag each time.

You don't know when your going to encounter this Pokemon again, it can change routes. You have to have this same fruitless encounter over and over again, with no real explanation. No, it just wasn't even worth it. I have caught roamers before but not these.

I was at the end of Pokemon Y and had done everything beat the E4, conquered the battle chateau, Maison and institute, looker's side quest, caught all the other legendaries, and still had seen Moltres only twice. No, just no...

Obviously so elusive, I didn't even know they were in the game at all. :/

Last edited:
Years
For me, the most hardest Legendary to catch is the Legendary Dogs. First of all, they are roaming here and there in the entire johto region. Thats why, we have to go random places to search them, which is really annoying. Moreover, even if you find them they will escape and again you need to search them.

BZRich64

The Mustachioed Machamp
Years
I'd consider any roaming legendary Pok?mon to be the hardest, simply because of how hard it is to track them down. The legendary beasts were especially hard since they run away as soon as they can, meaning that even if you find one, it will be gone after a single turn unless you have a way to trap them.

Years
Pretty much all the roamers. Much like what the others said, they are a nightmare if you don't have a Master Ball.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I had a lot of trouble with Regice in one of my Emerald runs. Got it nice down to 1 HP with False Swipe and gave it a Paralysis. Still, it managed to Struggle itself to death. Three times in a row.

Oh yeah, and of course anything that roams is annoying, but I usually just throw a Master Ball to those for exactly that reason.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Roamers are pretty hard, I'd agree. You either have to encounter it a lot of times, meaning spending hours looking for it, or you have to be prepared with a fast Mean Look pokemon like Crobat, which can take a while to prepare.

For a non roamer, I think Lugia is pretty hard. In most games, it doesn't have much pp to begin with: usually having Aeroblast and Hydro Pump as 2 of its moves, both of which have 5 pp. So it has a higher chance of struggling before capture compared to other legendaries. Pretty annoying.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
The major problem with most legendary pokemon is capturing them is god-darned RNG-heavy capture mechanics. Their low capture rate exacerbates this issue to ridiculous proportions because, in most cases, you have a very low chance (I estimate... maybe 5% at most) of capturing them per throw under optimal conditions. There is no challenge to this; it's just repeatedly throwing pokeballs at the pokemon until you capture them and praying that it doesn't go so long as to cause them to struggle.

Roaming legends, with their ability to run away, are ten times worse. It's a huge pain capturing them to begin with; much less having to chase after them and then getting only 1 turn to capture them before they run when you do catch up with them. There are ways to trivialize them, but they require bringing specific pokemon which may or may not be at a disadvantage against them.

Back