• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sunny Day Team

Dragon_Reborn

Dragon Master
Years
  • Age 36
  • Ohio
  • Seen Apr 1, 2012
This is my first attempt at a 4th gen Sunny Day Team.This is the current team I have planned for my Pearl version.Feel free to make changes/comments/etc.

Crobat@Heat Rock
Ability:Inner Focus
Nature:Jolly
EV's:232 HP /40 Def /40 Sp Def/196 Spd
-U-Turn
-Hypnosis
-Sunny Day
-Taunt
Crobat is a excellent lead for sunny day team.Due to its high speed,Crobat can easily set up Sunny Day for the team.Its high speed also allows it to use Taunt to prevent the opposing lead pokemon from setting up Stealth Rock.Hypnosis can provide 2-5 free turns to set up or sweep away.U-Turn provides a good damaging switch out move.

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Ability:Chlorophyll
Nature:Adamant/Jolly
EV's:252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Power Whip
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
Tangrowth is a good physcial sweeper.Tangrowth can easily come in on physical sweepers and start setting up Swords Dance.Power Whip is Tangrowth's most reliable damaging STAB move.Earthquake can damage fire and poison types that pose a threat to Tangrowth.Rock Slide can help against flying types that pose threat to grass sweepers.

Exegguator@Heat Rock/Life Orb
Ability:Chlorophyll
Nature:Rash
EV's:4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Psychic
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Explosion/Sleep Powder
Exegguator is a great special sweeper.If Sunny Day is up,Exegguator can abuse Solarbeam.Psychic allows him to hit fire types hard.Explosion can be used when low on HP and heavily damage or take a pokemon out.Sleep Powder is other option to cause sleep for 2-5 turns and sweep away.Exegguator can set up Sunny Day if needed.

Houndoom@Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
Nature:Hasty
EV's:100 Atk / 184 SpA / 224 Spe
-Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot
-Solarbeam
-Dark Pulse
Houndoom makes a great fire absorber pokemon.With Flash Fire,Houndoom can come in on any fire attack that might be aimed at Tangrowth or Exegguator.Fire Blast is a good STAB move for Houndoom.Dark Pulse can hit any incoming water or rock pokemon that Fire Blast can't deal with.Houndoom can also abuse Solarbeam whenever needed.Nasty Plot is here if I need a extra boost in damage.

Bronzong@Heat Rock
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Impish
EV's:252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
-Explosion
-Stealth Rock
-Sunny Day
-Hypnosis
Bronzong is a great support pokemon.Due to his great bulk,he can easily replenish Sunny Day when needed.He can also set up Stealth Rock to effect switch in's.Hypnosis can be used to cause sleep for 2-5 turns to help sweepers out.Explosion is great when he is low on HP to take out or heavy damage a opposing pokemon.

Dugtrio@Life Orb
Ability:Arena Trap
Nature:Jolly
EV's:4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge
-Aerial Ace
Dugtrio makes a good Tyranitar counter.With Dugtrio's high speed,he can use Earthquake to heavily damage Tyranitar from ruining my Sunny Day.Stone Edge can be used on Zapdos,Dragonite,etc.Sucker Punch helps against Gengar or Alakazam.Aerial Ace helps against Breloom or Heracross.

What do you think?

Years
If you're looking for a good Tyranitar counter. Try Heracross instead of Dugtrio, it's a CRAAAZZY set. (Unless there's a Fire or Flying type waiting to kill you)

Heracross @ Choice Band
Guts
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
Adamant
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash
-Close Combat

This set can literally ruin your opponent. If you're looking for a good sweep, lure a fire/flying type in and kill it. Megahorn is good for a sweep even on neutral damage plus the fact you have Choice Band on. You can do a good 3 KO's and overpower your opponent quickly as heck. The other moves can be used for emergencies, as they can't be used without a switch, remember that.
Dugtrio makes a good Tyranitar counter.With Dugtrio's high speed,he can use Earthquake to heavily damage Tyranitar from ruining my Sunny Day.Stone Edge can be used on Zapdos,Dragonite,etc.Sucker Punch helps against Gengar or Alakazam.Aerial Ace helps against Breloom or Heracross.
Heracross makes a good Tyranitar counter. With Heracross' high Speed, he can use Megahorn to OHKO Tyranitar from ruining your Sunny Day. Stone Edge can be used on Zapdos, Dragonite, etc. Night Slash helps against Gengar or Alakazam. Again, Megahorn can be used to kill Brelooms, but switch to something else with other Heracross. REMEMBER. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH IN ORDER TO USE A DIFFERENT MOVE. This Heracross will pack quite a destructional punch. Use it right, and you got a heavy sweep. Good luck!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there!

You certainly have a nice looking team! I'm not too fluent in 4th Gen or Sun teams, but let me see what I can do to help. Between your entire team, you have a very serious weakness to Ice and Fire. Your only counter for those is Houndoom, and lets face it, Houndoom won't stick around for long. I recommend replacing Houndoom with a Fire type that either has more bulk, or will outspeed your opponent. Since you're rather limited on those fronts because Fire isn't exactly the competitive typing of choice, the best I can recommend are Heatran and Inernape. That being said, I think all of your Pokemon, save Bronzong, are 4th Gen UU. So, this is really going to depend on what tier you're playing in. If you're playing in 4th gen UU, than Houndoom is easily one of your best choices. If you want to play OU, than I highly recommend Heatran, who has a mess of bulk and useful resistances that would benefit your team. Or Infernape, who hits hard and has a respectable Speed stat which is 108 verses Houndoom's 95 (and in tandem with a Choice Scarf and access to U-Turn), will eliminate opponents who don't resist its STABS.

Anyway, here's a Choice Specs Heatran that I think can do a lot for your team in place of Houndoom.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Flash Fire
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest [+Sp.Attack; -Attack]
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran has superior resistances to Houndoom, baring Fighting and Water, a deeper movepool, a larger Special Attack stat (a difference of 20 points, if I remember correctly) and just plain more bulk. With this set, you'll be able to tank through teams that even resits it and sweep Heatran's common switch-ins as long as you have good prediction. Even Blissey risks being 2HKO'd by Heatran's STAB boosted, Flash Fire boosted, Fire Blast with Stealth Rock damage. And that is saying a lot. Flamethrower is a viable option if you want less power for accuracy and Over Heat can also be used if you want more accuracy and crazy power at the cost of some Special Attack. Earth Power is an all around good move, snagging OHKO's on anything that's weak to it and dealing equivalent damage to others. It's also great for opposing Heatran who might try to switch in for a free Flash Fire boost. Hidden Power [Grass] will most likely 2HKO common Water types that will switch in. Finally, Dragon Pulse is a great move for coverage and will hit Dragonite for super effective damage, another common switch in to Heatran. Heatran will also function the same way you expect Houndoom to. Absorbing any Fire attacks aimed at Exeggutor or Tangrowth. If you want a set for Inernape, just let us know!

I'd also like to suggest something like Payback or Earthquake for your Bronzong over Hypnosis. While it is true that Hypnosis is a viable move, it really just makes Bronzong serious Taunt bait. Also, your EV spread is physically defensive, which you don't really need because Bronzong isn't going to be taking any Sun boosted Flamethrowers (even with Heatproof imo). Now, I have a feeling that you don't want Bronzong to stick around for long. So I can understand why you'd want to get Bronzong in there mid-battle, lay some Rocks, shell out some Sun, then Explode.. and Hypnotizing the opponent will make that easier, but if Bronzong gets Taunted than it won't be much good for anything. I'd leave the Sleep inducing to Crobat (the fastest Sleep Inducer) and Exeggutor.

By the way, one of the best 4th gen counters for Tyranitar would have to be Swampert. :/ Swampert resists Tyranitar's stupid strong Stone Edge, takes about 40% damage from Tyranitar's STAB Crunch, and resists or is neutral to any other attack Tyranitar would sport in the 4th gen. Not only that, but Swampert can retaliate with a STAB Earthquake or Surf which are both super effective. So.. yeah. Also, Breloom is (arguably) the best Tyranitar counter. It straight up resists everything a common Tyranitar would carry, aside from Fire Punch and Superpower. And Breloom can pretty much use Tyranitar as setup fodder. But, I'm just mentioning this to more or less make a point. Whether or not Swampert or Breloom would be viable on your Sun team is up to you (but I recommend Swampert > Dugtrio to lessen that Ice weakness).

I'm going to go ahead and give you a good Swampert set:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Special Defense
Relaxed [+Defense; -Speed]
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar / Protect / Surf

Swampert makes an excellent Stealth Rock layer, finding many opportunities to do so with its many resistances. However, this clashes to an extent with Bronzong. It's really up to you and what you want to do with it. Another option would be the ResTalk set, which is more or less the same. Swampert suffers from having no reliable recovery move which limits its tanking abilities, so this is really the best it can hope to do. Rest / Sleep Talk / Earthquake / Stone Edge or Avalance ith an Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack] nature, Leftovers, and an EV spread of 248 HP / 48 Attack / 212 Defense. Anyway, the aforementioned set is probably the most reliable in terms of competitive play. But again, it's going to be something you'll want to test out ad see how you like it before committing. Lay those Rocks, Phaze and Scout the with Roar (which also stops Swampert from being setup fodder for major sweepers like Calm Mind Suicune), and spam your STAB Earthquake for super effective hit on Steels that don't Levitate and neutral damage on most others. Ice Beam allows Swampert to hit Gliscor, Flygon, and the likes. the last two options for the 4th slot are Protect and Surf. Protect can be a semi-scouting move, stall to recover with Leftovers, and save Swampert from opposing Azelf or Metagross leads sporting Explosion. Surf is another excellent STAB attack for dealing with Tyranitar as mentioned before. But, to be honest, it'll be a real disservice to Swampert's defensive utility without a supporting move in the 4th slot. Again, these are things for you to decide.

The only problem is that my suggestions don't exactly help with your Ice and Fire weakness. Another huge problem I see with this team is a major Dragon weakness as everything but Bronzong takes neutral damage from them. So, this means that Salamence (Ubers or no?), Flygon, Dragonite, Kindgra, and the likes are going to rip through your team with STAB Outrages and Draco Meteors respectively. In fact, the only changes my suggestions make to your teams resistances is another Pokemon besides Bronzong that resist Dragon type attacks. This is just something that will have to be worked out after you've tested it a little. Feel free to come back when you know exactly what you want to do with your Pokemon and our raters will be more than willing to help!

I hope this was useful. Good luck! :>

Last edited:

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2014
i believe an infernape would really benefit your team.

a weavile or blaziken could really destroy your team.

Dragon_Reborn

Dragon Master
Years
  • Age 36
  • Ohio
  • Seen Apr 1, 2012
If you're looking for a good Tyranitar counter. Try Heracross instead of Dugtrio, it's a CRAAAZZY set. (Unless there's a Fire or Flying type waiting to kill you)

Heracross @ Choice Band
Guts
EV: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
Adamant
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Night Slash
-Close Combat

This set can literally ruin your opponent. If you're looking for a good sweep, lure a fire/flying type in and kill it. Megahorn is good for a sweep even on neutral damage plus the fact you have Choice Band on. You can do a good 3 KO's and overpower your opponent quickly as heck. The other moves can be used for emergencies, as they can't be used without a switch, remember that.

Heracross makes a good Tyranitar counter. With Heracross' high Speed, he can use Megahorn to OHKO Tyranitar from ruining your Sunny Day. Stone Edge can be used on Zapdos, Dragonite, etc. Night Slash helps against Gengar or Alakazam. Again, Megahorn can be used to kill Brelooms, but switch to something else with other Heracross. REMEMBER. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH IN ORDER TO USE A DIFFERENT MOVE. This Heracross will pack quite a destructional punch. Use it right, and you got a heavy sweep. Good luck!
Heracross does sound like a good Tyranitar counter and sweeper in general.I will defiently keep this in mind over Dugtrio.

Hey there!

You certainly have a nice looking team! I'm not too fluent in 4th Gen or Sun teams, but let me see what I can do to help. Between your entire team, you have a very serious weakness to Ice and Fire. Your only counter for those is Houndoom, and lets face it, Houndoom won't stick around for long. I recommend replacing Houndoom with a Fire type that either has more bulk, or will outspeed your opponent. Since you're rather limited on those fronts because Fire isn't exactly the competitive typing of choice, the best I can recommend are Heatran and Inernape. That being said, I think all of your Pokemon, save Bronzong, are 4th Gen UU. So, this is really going to depend on what tier you're playing in. If you're playing in 4th gen UU, than Houndoom is easily one of your best choices. If you want to play OU, than I highly recommend Heatran, who has a mess of bulk and useful resistances that would benefit your team. Or Infernape, who hits hard and has a respectable Speed stat which is 108 verses Houndoom's 95 (and in tandem with a Choice Scarf and access to U-Turn), will eliminate opponents who don't resist its STABS.

Yeah my Sunny Day team does have a fire and ice weakness.Oh yeah,I forgot about Heatran and Infernape.They would make great additions.As for what tier of team,I want more of a OU team since that is what I like more.

Anyway, here's a Choice Specs Heatran that I think can do a lot for your team in place of Houndoom.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Flash Fire
40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest [+Sp.Attack; -Attack]
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Heatran has superior resistances to Houndoom, baring Fighting and Water, a deeper movepool, a larger Special Attack stat (a difference of 20 points, if I remember correctly) and just plain more bulk. With this set, you'll be able to tank through teams that even resits it and sweep Heatran's common switch-ins as long as you have good prediction. Even Blissey risks being 2HKO'd by Heatran's STAB boosted, Flash Fire boosted, Fire Blast with Stealth Rock damage. And that is saying a lot. Flamethrower is a viable option if you want less power for accuracy and Over Heat can also be used if you want more accuracy and crazy power at the cost of some Special Attack. Earth Power is an all around good move, snagging OHKO's on anything that's weak to it and dealing equivalent damage to others. It's also great for opposing Heatran who might try to switch in for a free Flash Fire boost. Hidden Power [Grass] will most likely 2HKO common Water types that will switch in. Finally, Dragon Pulse is a great move for coverage and will hit Dragonite for super effective damage, another common switch in to Heatran. Heatran will also function the same way you expect Houndoom to. Absorbing any Fire attacks aimed at Exeggutor or Tangrowth. If you want a set for Inernape, just let us know!

I agree with Heatran over Houndoom since I'm going for a OU team.

I'd also like to suggest something like Payback or Earthquake for your Bronzong over Hypnosis. While it is true that Hypnosis is a viable move, it really just makes Bronzong serious Taunt bait. Also, your EV spread is physically defensive, which you don't really need because Bronzong isn't going to be taking any Sun boosted Flamethrowers (even with Heatproof imo). Now, I have a feeling that you don't want Bronzong to stick around for long. So I can understand why you'd want to get Bronzong in there mid-battle, lay some Rocks, shell out some Sun, then Explode.. and Hypnotizing the opponent will make that easier, but if Bronzong gets Taunted than it won't be much good for anything. I'd leave the Sleep inducing to Crobat (the fastest Sleep Inducer) and Exeggutor.

You got a valid point there about Bronzong being a Taunt bait.I will use Payback or Earthquake on him so he's not weak to Taunt.I'll just leave Crobat up to Hypnosis them.Bronzong's main purpose on my team is to replenish Sun when needed followed by setting up Stealth Rock.Then he can explode when low on HP.

I've seen you mentioned something about Heatproof.Would Heatproof be better then Levitate for Sunny Day team?The only problem without Levitate would be,he'd be weak to ground then.

By the way, one of the best 4th gen counters for Tyranitar would have to be Swampert. :/ Swampert resists Tyranitar's stupid strong Stone Edge, takes about 40% damage from Tyranitar's STAB Crunch, and resists or is neutral to any other attack Tyranitar would sport in the 4th gen. Not only that, but Swampert can retaliate with a STAB Earthquake or Surf which are both super effective. So.. yeah. Also, Breloom is (arguably) the best Tyranitar counter. It straight up resists everything a common Tyranitar would carry, aside from Fire Punch and Superpower. And Breloom can pretty much use Tyranitar as setup fodder. But, I'm just mentioning this to more or less make a point. Whether or not Swampert or Breloom would be viable on your Sun team is up to you (but I recommend Swampert > Dugtrio to lessen that Ice weakness).

I'm going to go ahead and give you a good Swampert set:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Special Defense
Relaxed [+Defense; -Speed]
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar / Protect / Surf

Swampert makes an excellent Stealth Rock layer, finding many opportunities to do so with its many resistances. However, this clashes to an extent with Bronzong. It's really up to you and what you want to do with it. Another option would be the ResTalk set, which is more or less the same. Swampert suffers from having no reliable recovery move which limits its tanking abilities, so this is really the best it can hope to do. Rest / Sleep Talk / Earthquake / Stone Edge or Avalance ith an Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack] nature, Leftovers, and an EV spread of 248 HP / 48 Attack / 212 Defense. Anyway, the aforementioned set is probably the most reliable in terms of competitive play. But again, it's going to be something you'll want to test out ad see how you like it before committing. Lay those Rocks, Phaze and Scout the with Roar (which also stops Swampert from being setup fodder for major sweepers like Calm Mind Suicune), and spam your STAB Earthquake for super effective hit on Steels that don't Levitate and neutral damage on most others. Ice Beam allows Swampert to hit Gliscor, Flygon, and the likes. the last two options for the 4th slot are Protect and Surf. Protect can be a semi-scouting move, stall to recover with Leftovers, and save Swampert from opposing Azelf or Metagross leads sporting Explosion. Surf is another excellent STAB attack for dealing with Tyranitar as mentioned before. But, to be honest, it'll be a real disservice to Swampert's defensive utility without a supporting move in the 4th slot. Again, these are things for you to decide.

Swampert would be a good addition to my team.Able to counter Tyranitar is a huge selling point along with being able to take fire/ice attack effectively.As which moveset to pick,I'd have to try both out and see what I'd like better.

The only problem is that my suggestions don't exactly help with your Ice and Fire weakness. Another huge problem I see with this team is a major Dragon weakness as everything but Bronzong takes neutral damage from them. So, this means that Salamence (Ubers or no?), Flygon, Dragonite, Kindgra, and the likes are going to rip through your team with STAB Outrages and Draco Meteors respectively. In fact, the only changes my suggestions make to your teams resistances is another Pokemon besides Bronzong that resist Dragon type attacks. This is just something that will have to be worked out after you've tested it a little. Feel free to come back when you know exactly what you want to do with your Pokemon and our raters will be more than willing to help!

Well,Swampert can take some fire and ice attacks.Yeah,I do have quite a bit of dragon weakness that I can see as well.Swampert would be the only effective pokemon I have against them with Ice Beam or Avalanche(depending on the moveset).

I hope this was useful. Good luck! :>
Thanks,I really appriciate your help.

Years
Heracross does sound like a good Tyranitar counter and sweeper in general.I will defiently keep this in mind over Dugtrio.
Heracross as a Tyranitar counter... As Alexial said, you have a great weakness to fire and ice, so Hera wouldn't be a great idea. I suggest keeping Swampert. Swampert is a bulky and a damn annoying Pokemon, even Hera can't kill in 1 hit. (2 hits to be exact) Swampert is good for Dragons, as you can see, but I don't think just 1 dragon counter is enough.

Pick the set of your choice: Magnezone, Metagross, Aggron

Magnezone @ Salac Berry
Sturdy
28 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 228 Spd
Timid/Modest
-Charge Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Hidden Power (Ice)

Aggron @ Leftovers
Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Joyful/Adamant
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
-Iron Tail/Aqua Tail

Metagross @
Leftovers
Clear Body
252 Atk / 152 Def / 100 Spd
Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer arm

I don't know what you can take out for the replacements, but I recommend Crobat to be taken off as it doesn't seem so necessary on this team. These are great for your team, for Aggron, Head Smash won't do recoil and you will brutally destroy the greatest dragon threats such as Salamence and Dragonite.
Magnezone is a little more complicated. Set up at least one Charge Beam Sp.Atk boost. Use two if it's necessary, but just make sure you don't get completely killed. We need the Salac Berry to activate, and when it does. You will be almost unstoppable. Thunderbolt will usually kill all you're opponents unless it resists Electric and it's really just bulky.
As for Meta, there's nothing to explain. Just use him however you like.
Good luck bud!

Back