• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea - Not Pokemon] Hieros Gamos

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
Hieros Gamos
I've been working on this for about a month or so now, and I've amassed a nice little team of spriters and artists. We have a lot ahead of us, considering this project is pretty ambitious, but we're chugging along!

If you're interested in joining the project as a coder, spriter, musician, or artist, PM me here or MSN/email me at i.love.uboa AT gmail DOT com

(Crossposted from a few other forums)

dwartle4color-2.gif
Game Info
dwartle4color-2.gif

Hieros Gamos is a 3v3 monster battling RPG similar in flavor to Dragon Warrior Monsters, Shin Megami Tensei and the newer Digimon games for the DS. The story is based in both the ancient practice of alchemy and the modern JRPG.

danubine4-1.gif
Story
danubine4-1.gif

In the world of Roeizek, alchemy has developed so much that it is the single driving force behind everything in the world. The form of alchemy used in Roeizek is homunculus based - most alchemists get by through summoning and binding powerful creatures to do their bidding. After they are finished with, these creatures get released into the wild, causing an influx of monsters surrounding towns and cities. This development called for a new breed of alchemist, one who had the utmost understanding of the homunculi - one who could bind any homunculus to their will.

You are the younger brother/sister of one of these alchemists. Your sister, Morgan, set off three years ago in order to study the Hieros Gamos, the ultimate breeding rite between two super-powerful homunculi. One year ago she was pronounced missing, and you haven't gotten any contact from her until now.

On your doorstep lays a small package. Inside said package is a large crystal - one homunculi are known to produce after they breed.

The return address is illegible, except for the name "Morgan".

The crystal begins to crack and glow. Out of it comes a small homunculus, one of the likes you have never seen before. It appears to be already bound to you, and talks to you as if it has known you for years.

Why would your sister send you this kind of package? What's up with getting a homunculus in the mail? What kind of homunculus is it anyways?

So would begin your long journey as an alchemist, searching for the secrets of your sister and the Hieros Gamos.

sylphen4-4.gif
Features
sylphen4-4.gif

-Raise, breed, talk to and battle with over 120 Homunculi in their 4 stages of growth
-In-depth "life stage" and "personality" systems give your homunculi a mind of their own
-Breeding, variety in homunculi, and post-story content give replay value
-Traditional, turn-based battles couple with elemental combination attacks for limitless strategy - think Pokemon Black and White's Triple Battles
-Difficulty about the level of a Shin Megami Tensei game on Normal - hard, but not impossibly hard
-Engaging story with multiple endings
-Homunculi designed by longtime designers of Fake Pokemon - we know what we're doing!

tarpit-3.gif
Team
tarpit-3.gif

Too see someone's artwork, look them up on Deviantart. Note - old work on dA may not be evident of current skills.

Creature Designers/Spriters
Mojanbo (that's me!)
Shira-Kaeru
BynineB
Mewchild
SphericalIce
KamDunbar
OrangeAipom
XiaPherix

HUD Designer
Bzuma

Music/SFX, Tile Spriters and Scripters are all positions in need of filling, but more creature designers are always great!

salamendra4-2.gif
Special Thanks
salamendra4-2.gif

Masquerain would like to thank the following people:
-Chris2Balls of tSR, for his amazing sprite critique
-Damain of PxC, for his great encouragement
-And all of my friends who believe this will happen!

I'm waiting until I get a scripter to make the basic needed scripts to make the game work before I begin even touching RPG Maker, besides for mapping. Thus, no screenshots at the moment. However, please enjoy this list of homunculi and the elements/planets they are classified by in lieu of pretty pictures (though I'd consider the sprites on our headers "pretty pictures")

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
This idea is very interesting.

I really like the idea of simple and complex types, as that sort of thing has always interested me. Though perhaps some need better names.

Good luck with this.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
Very nice idea. It's good to see something else than Pokémon games for a change. My question though, how are you gonna make it, with which program and which language?

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
Very nice idea. It's good to see something else than Pokémon games for a change. My question though, how are you gonna make it, with which program and which language?

I have a "maybe" from a coder on another forum, though I'm not sure what language he codes in.

If he says no, then I know my way around RPG Maker pretty well, so if all else fails that's what it'll be made in.

Anyways, here are some more ideas:

The player has certain stats that help with recruiting homunculi: For example, a Birddon (mafia don cowbird) might respond very well to the character's "toughness" or "courage", but a Jestyena (court jester hyena) would respond better to the "humor" stat.

Removal of the 'life stage experience bar', merged into levels

And the first 13 creatures I have info on:

These are in no particular order except the first four, which are based on Dwarves, Salamanders, Undines, and Sylphs - creatures that represent the four basic elements. These four creatures are the ones you can start with.

"Abilityset" represents the types of moves they learn and stats they receive typically. Homunculi you recruit in the wild will typically have these exact characteristics, but bred homunculi will have inherited their parents spells, attacks, and stats, so they can be used for pretty much any of the roles.

The Grimoire is a bestiary/Pokedex. It catalogs homunculi you have bred, recruited, or received. The book also collects records such as breeding and recruitment results.

Finally, Notes are just my notes on what the average creature of that species does, inspiration for designs, mount status, etcetera.

Spoiler:

Jayje

The First Maker
Years
i gotta say, it'sgoo to see other folks tryin their hands at making non pokemon games. currently my project is on hiatus, due to real life issues, but i support and respect your effort. hope you can make this happen.

i'll be watchin...

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
Thanks Jayje! Good luck to you too :D

Here's some more concept art:

malemc.gif

The Male Main Character

startersrank4-3.gif

Rank 4 designs for the "starters" (work in progress)

Also I am kind of agonizing right now over what style I should shade the homunculi in. What do you guys think - simple, or the more shades, the better?

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
I'd say make the shading good, but not too much.

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
color-2.png

Okay, I'm usually not one to eschew black outlines, but I think I'm seeing a pattern in how I color these.

Do you think I should stick with this style?

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
I like those sprites a lot, except for the eyes on the sprite all the way to the left. They just look a bit odd.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Wow, thoes look so... different! It really sets it apart from the hundreds of pokemon games.

When you mentioned you did fakemon, I was afraid it would be too similar to pokemon, but thoes look totally fresh and awesome.

stick with the style :)

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
I like those sprites a lot, except for the eyes on the sprite all the way to the left. They just look a bit odd.

Our right? Yeah, I'm not sure about the design of the blue guy in the tornado. I'll keep working it out.

And thanks, DarkDoom! Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with the "4 shades, limited outline" style for the homunculi.

Anyways, I know you all have been waiting for the reveal of the other two Rank 4 starters (yeah who am I kidding), so here they are!

color-4.png

Everyone but Salamandra could use a lot of work, but I wanted to show you guys that I'm making a lot of progress in a short amount of time. My next project (between fixing up these sprites) is making a mockup of the homunculus status screen.
EDIT: Fixed... well, most everything. Especially Dwartle.

Last edited:

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
The first post has had a pretty much total rehaul. This is now a team project, so check out my recruitment thread post if you'd like to help.

Also, look at the last post, then back at me. Now back to the last post, now back at me.

hgsig.gif

Yes, these sprites are made of pixels.

(as always more edits are needed, but yeah - also the outline of the furthermost right one was done by BynineB)

Last edited:

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
Working, working...
I've started the actual game, using an event system for monster capture and a few scripts to try and replicate the battle system and other features. Not a lot is done, I'm trying to get certain things to look and act the way I want before I work too much on the mapping/eventing.

Here's a screenshot of a test battle. Keep in mind that this is a practically unedited Battle Engine Melody, the main reason I'm showing this is for proof that I'm actually working on the project...
testbattle.gif

(those facesets were made in paint in like 5 minutes for example purposes...)

On a side note, our website is up. Having a site is mainly so I can store everything in one place where people can find it easily.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
Nice! I'm really starting the love this game. Great sprites. Can't wait to see the final result. =]

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
wow, looks sweet!

The icons at the top, does that show who's turn it's next? if so, really cool. reminds me of FFX

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
More news!

Totally redoing the team because of lack of work, only full member remaining is BynineB.

Sprite style change to make the large number of battle sprites easier to do.

dwartle4new.gif

HG is now being developed in Game Maker 8, on the suggestion of a friend. And by developed I mean "programming is being done", as in, I found two/three programmers. I can die happy now.

(I also found a composer!)

Still working on sprites... busy busy.

Will post Millypod Rank 4 here when I'm done. :D Also finished a revamp of Salamendra.

Back