• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
Okay, I don't believe either of these questions were fully answered, so I'll have a go at them.

can anyone tell me how to breed flawless pokemon in HG/SS?

i was IV breeding last night and the highest i was able to get was 4 IVs at 31.
how do ppl get all 6?

Well, before you waste anymore time trying to get perfect IVs across the board, I should tell you that that's nearly impossible to do (unless you hack of course, but I don't advise that). There's about a one in 1,073,741,824 chance of getting perfect IVs for all six stats according to Arkeis.

IV's are pretty random. You may sometimes get a Pokémon with really good IVs in two particular stats, but the others might be pretty low on a scale of 0 to 31. If you check out the site, Arkeis, that I linked to you though, you'll see they say,

"However, you can improve the chances of your Pokémon getting good IVs by breeding and producing lots and lots of eggs. If your parent Pokémon have good IVs, then there's a good chance the offspring will have good IVs too." Which is true.

I'd probably say the best way to learn about IVs and breeding to get better IVs, other than natural experience, would be by talking to regular breeders who go about breeding Pokémon for the right IVs on a daily basis. The Trade Corner's Daily Chit Chat might be a good place for that.
This (in bold) is only partially true. While it is virtually impossible to attain flawless IVs through conventional breeding, the vast majority of IV breeders nowadays use a method called RNG abuse. It involves using a PC program called RNG reporter (or PPRNG if you're on a Mac) to essentially manipulate the game's internal pseudo-random number generator to breed or capture flawless Pokémon. It is not at all hacking and does not require any cheating device. There are many guides out there, and, like Hiiro said, asking in the Trade Corner Daily Chit Chat would be a good idea if you want to learn how to do this.

I've got a question, what physical dark/ghost type moves are there that Gallade can learn? Or even better, are there any?

He should be able to learn Thief by TM, and if I recall correctly, Thief is a physical move.
Uh, Thief is a fairly sub-par move when it comes to attacking.
The only usable physical dark/ghost moves Gallade has are: Night Slash (use a heart scale) and Shadow Sneak (as an egg move)

Last edited:

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
I was told earlier that the Kanto gym leaders are higher in level in SoulSilver than the original Silver.... my Pokemon level average is 54.... will I be able to take on Vermillion City gym? or do I still need to level up?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I was told earlier that the Kanto gym leaders are higher in level in SoulSilver than the original Silver.... my Pokemon level average is 54.... will I be able to take on Vermillion City gym? or do I still need to level up?

Yes, you'll be fine. Surge's highest is 53, which is Electabuzz. In Silver it's 46. So yes, you were told right. :)

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
a few things I'm wondering about on SoulSilver....

1) where do you find the cerulean city gym leader?

2) I got the upgrade for the radio card, but there is no PokeFlute on it like there was on the original Silver, so how do I wake up the Snorlax?

3) I got the generator up and running at the power plant, but I cannot get on the Magnet train, where do I get a trainPass?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
a few things I'm wondering about on SoulSilver....

1) where do you find the cerulean city gym leader?

2) I got the upgrade for the radio card, but there is no PokeFlute on it like there was on the original Silver, so how do I wake up the Snorlax?

3) I got the generator up and running at the power plant, but I cannot get on the Magnet train, where do I get a trainPass?
1 - Do the Power Plant part subquest first (so power is running...which you already did, so). Then go to Cerulean Cape, by Bill's Kanto house and you'll find her there.

2 - The Pokeflute needs to be 'selected' manually on the radio. Use the stylus/finger/etc to select it - it's at the top part and a touch to the left.

3 - Go to the CopyCat girl in Saffron in the house a bit south of the train station. After talking to her, go forth to Vermillion - I'll leave the rest to you.

Rider542

Master of the... Magikarp?
Years
I have three questions, all related to the fourth gen games:
1. I am planning to buy a used platinum game online. It is game cartridge only, but has a 90 day warranty. I am worried that it might be a fake. Should I be? What are some signs to look for when buying used games that might indicate a fake?
2. If I do get Platinum, can I use poketransfer with it? Also, do you require two ds systems for poketransfer?
3. Can you use poketransfer from emulator to ds (pokemon black in the ds, hg/ss or platinum if possible on the emulator)?
Thats all, thanks for your help :)

Perriechu

Years
I have three questions, all related to the fourth gen games:
1. I am planning to buy a used platinum game online. It is game cartridge only, but has a 90 day warranty. I am worried that it might be a fake. Should I be? What are some signs to look for when buying used games that might indicate a fake?
2. If I do get Platinum, can I use poketransfer with it? Also, do you require two ds systems for poketransfer?
3. Can you use poketransfer from emulator to ds (pokemon black in the ds, hg/ss or platinum if possible on the emulator)?
Thats all, thanks for your help :)

1) - Depends where it's from. Amazon, Play-Asia, Play, Any Gaming website you'll be fine with. Ebay is the biggest worry. It would help if you told us where you're getting it from. :)
2) - Yep, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and Soul Silver are all capable of using the PokeTransfer and yes, two Ds systems are required. They do not have to be the same system. (You can have one Ds Phat and Lite or Ds Lite and Dsi)
3) - Nope, only possible with the Ds systems, emulators are a no-no.

Hope this helps. :)

Rider542

Years

1) - Depends where it's from. Amazon, Play-Asia, Play, Any Gaming website you'll be fine with. Ebay is the biggest worry. It would help if you told us where you're getting it from. :)
2) - Yep, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold and Soul Silver are all capable of using the PokeTransfer and yes, two Ds systems are required. They do not have to be the same system. (You can have one Ds Phat and Lite or Ds Lite and Dsi)
3) - Nope, only possible with the Ds systems, emulators are a no-no.

Hope this helps. :)

Yep, Im ordering from amazon, so i hope everything will be fine. If not, the 90 day warranty is reassuring.
But for poketransfer, what if i only have one ds, and i play both platinum and black on that one ds. if i need two ds systems for poke transfer, wont my save file not be on the other ds, therefor all my pokemon wont be there? how does that work? do i need two ds systems, and play one game on each?

Years
But for poketransfer, what if i only have one ds, and i play both platinum and black on that one ds. if i need two ds systems for poke transfer, wont my save file not be on the other ds, therefor all my pokemon wont be there? how does that work? do i need two ds systems, and play one game on each?

You need two DS systems to utilize the Poke Transfer. It can be any type of DS console (DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL etc), then put your Platinum in one and Black in the other. Hope that helps you!

As for save files, your saved adventure is recorded on your game card, even if it is in another DS.

Perriechu

Years
Yep, Im ordering from amazon, so i hope everything will be fine. If not, the 90 day warranty is reassuring.

Oh good, Amazon is nice and reliable. :P When the game saves, it saves to your cartridge, not the actual Ds system. :) So that's how it works lol.

Rider542

Years
ok, that helps a bunch. thats what im worried about. i onyl have one ds systems, on which i plan on playing both games. i can borrow a friends ds, but i wasnt sure about the save files. thanks :)

Rider542

Years
I have another question, is there any way to get lugia in Platinum? Ive heard there is a way, but ive also heard you need an action replay or pal park. So, is it possible?

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
Years
Q - Should I restart my Soul Silver? I have honestly nothing left to do there, and I kinda rushed through some parts of the game. I can easily trade my Pokemon and then trade em back when I restart, but I've done so much in the game, I've gotten all the numbers of the leaders, I've won many of the in game contests, etc. But I beat the game ages ago and I haven't really touched it since I've finished everything and caught all the legendaries, and etc.

Years
Using Pal Park, if you have the event Lugia for the 3rd gen games.

Sure. Reset the game. It's a great game to replay.

Last edited:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
I have another question, is there any way to get lugia in Platinum? Ive heard there is a way, but ive also heard you need an action replay or pal park. So, is it possible?
The only way to get lugia in platinum wothout cheating/hacking is using Pal Park to transfer a lugia form a 3rd generation game. You can always use action replay but you will need to find out how to from a different site cause this site dosent allow that kind of stuff. If you really want lugia you could always buy SoulSilver and cath it on that. Good luck findin Lugia. :D

Q - Should I restart my Soul Silver? I have honestly nothing left to do there, and I kinda rushed through some parts of the game. I can easily trade my Pokemon and then trade em back when I restart, but I've done so much in the game, I've gotten all the numbers of the leaders, I've won many of the in game contests, etc. But I beat the game ages ago and I haven't really touched it since I've finished everything and caught all the legendaries, and etc.

Yes. After trading all the pokemon you want to keep, might as well restart. Would you rather have a perfect game with everything done that you dont touch or an imperfect game that still has things to do in it and you actually play it. Your call but I think you should restart, I know i've restarted my pokemon games about 75 times. :D

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
I've got a question, what physical dark/ghost type moves are there that Gallade can learn? Or even better, are there any?

At level 1 (so you'll need to go to a move relearner) Gallade can learn the dark-type move Night Slash, which 70 power with a high critical hit ratio. By TM46 Gallade can also learn dark-type move Thief which has 40 base power and steals the opponents item (as long as you're not holding one as well). Gallade can learn the ghost-type move Shadow Sneak, which is a priority move (i.e. attacks first) with 40 base power, and it learns this through egg breeding with Bannette's Line, Duskull's line or Spiritomb that knows the move. The move tutor in Pt, HG or SS can teach Gallade Knock Off, which is dark-type and deals 20 damage, and also 'knocks off' the opponents item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back