• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods[2013]

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
so another dragon ball z movie is coming out in 2013 it wont be live-action all animation(yay!)
the movie is said to take place between the defeat of buu and the 28th world martial arts tournament.
the pilaf gang is set to return along with everybody who was alive after the buu saga's the promotional poster below seems to show that goku and the other z-fighters will be fighting a
Egyptian God-like anthropomorphic cat and some others possibly?

365px-Dbzmovie2013promo.jpg

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
This makes me excited. I've loved Dragon Ball Z ever since I was little so to know that another animated movie(not live action thank goodness because Evolution was just plain messed up.) will come out warms me inside.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Cool a DBZ Movie after all this years...

But why not GT? :/
A lot of people I know hated GT, and tbh I think more can be done with this time period of DBZ.

Interested to see how this turns out since I was pretty surprised there was more Dragonball animation in the works at all.

Detwak

Meh.
Years
Yes!!! Dragon Ball Z Is back, even thou it's just for this one movie ... I'm just so glad to see kid Goten is in it! Drools

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
i myself hated GT and am glad that there wont be any ssj4 (it looks stupid) plus the return of villains from the original dragon ball probably means they have something to do with this Cat villain attacking the z-fighters

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
So..the most important thing I have to figure out are who are the voice actors going to be? Obviously I'm not a big fan of Dragon Ball Z Kai, as I love the ones from the original Dragon Ball Z. So...hopefully they're more similar to the original than Kai. Either way, I'll still watch it when the time comes in March or April

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Akira Toriyama is the main writer for it so it wont be like GT
¥50 million ($636,000 USD) is what is being used to make it right now also

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Cool a DBZ Movie after all this years...

But why not GT? :/

Dragon Ball Kai, essentially. It caused the franchise to bleed money and saw the revenues for Dragon Ball drop to an all time low in Japan. I think the idea here is to make people remember Dragon Ball Z and not Kai.

Really though, Toei should just bite the bullet and create a brand new series. You can only milk the same stuff for so long before people realize they're playing the same fighter they've played the last three years in a row, just with a slightly different move set. Or that they're buying a slightly different DVD or blu-ray set. Toei is a company that is no stranger to milking things to death by constantly creating new incarnations. I think, if they want Dragon Ball to continue to be profitable, they need a full on new series at some point.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Dragon Ball Kai, essentially. It caused the franchise to bleed money and saw the revenues for Dragon Ball drop to an all time low in Japan. I think the idea here is to make people remember Dragon Ball Z and not Kai.

Really though, Toei should just bite the bullet and create a brand new series. You can only milk the same stuff for so long before people realize they're playing the same fighter they've played the last three years in a row, just with a slightly different move set. Or that they're buying a slightly different DVD or blu-ray set. Toei is a company that is no stranger to milking things to death by constantly creating new incarnations. I think, if they want Dragon Ball to continue to be profitable, they need a full on new series at some point.
I don't think Toriyama wants to, and that's really (what I think is) a large reason as to why he's making this movie (and on a lesser scale, Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return). I feel that wants to add on to the series without starting a new entry, using movies rather than new shows; after all, he wanted to end Z with the Frieza saga and again with the Cell Saga. He even stated in the manga that he spent so much time on Dragon Ball that he had very little time for his family. Plus, if Toei is in charge of making another Dragon Ball entry, we might get another GT. Though, Toei doesn't have all bad ideas, they did make the very well done "Bardock: The Father of Goku" and "The History of Trunks" (however, the stories for these movies are based off of what is stated by Trunks in the manga and what is stated about Bardock in the manga, writing's not their forte).

Kai was actually very popular due to it's gaining the interest of the original generation and the new generation alike, and everything linked to it sold well as well. The reason they're going for Z rather than Kai is that...well, Z is the complete canon. Various characters do not exist in Kai, most notably the characters introduced after the time skip. It also is many elements and features that were present in both Dragon Ball Z the anime and the manga. As such, it wasn't true to Toriyama nor the fans, despite saying that it was "the original experience". That, and they really have no reason to make a movie for what is essentially just a "cleaner and shorter" version of the original, especially since a movie was just released for the original not too long ago and, by contrast, the original is the more popular incarnation.

On a personal and unrelated note, I, as was pretty much everyone on announcement, was hoping that Kai would be a remake ala Dr.Slump 1997 or Hunter X Hunter 2011, and it was such a darn shame that they simply took the original show, cut some stuff out, made it 16:9 and childproofed it. Granted, it was nice hearing Chris Sabat yell "It's over 9000", what we see in the intro really should have been what was in the show, and that's what people were expecting, a remake instead of a rehash (of a rehash). It's not bad, it's still enjoyable- it's Dragon Ball Z for christ's sake, and it's certainly a heck of a lot better than GT, but there was so much potential that just went to waste. I'm even more shocked that they changed some of the voice actors. It may seem small, but giving #18 a "Cute aloof feminine voice" and giving Gohan a different voice from Kid Goku really misdirects the direction that was given to the characters, and many of the changes were unnecessary, especially since most of the voice actors from the original were still available for casting. Probably the biggest misgiving, however, is that the show advertised that it would "make the fights shorter to make it more like the original", and this was largely because DBZ was seen as a show were people talked and powered up for several episodes before they actually fought (though, after watching the show again uncut, it's really inaccurate)...they didn't do it. I was honestly psyched for at least that much, because I love the manga as well as the anime, but the fights were sometimes FAR longer than they needed to be. I can say wholeheartedly that Kai did not even need to be the almost 100 episodes that it was, they trimmed more of the actual content than they did the fighting...in other words, there was a larger imbalance in filler to content ratio than there was in the original.

R.I.P - Austrailian Jeice ;_;

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I'm a bit skeptical about this movie, since well..I kinda wasn't the fan of the previous movies, and DBZ really has quite a lot movies. Worst thing is that it's set in my least favorite time frame, where ALL non-Saiyajin characters were degraded to nothing. Even Krilin (since Yamucha and Tenshinhan became nothing at the very start of DBZ, even though they're more interesting than some Saiyajin characters).

I'd prefer a movie set between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z over this, but I guess that movie wouldn't do very well in the west, and it would be flashy enough to look cool.

Also, DON'T JYNX IT. What if Toei turns Dragon Ball into a new Precure-like series (in other words, every year a new season with different cast), since it's looks like Saint Seiya is going that way. They announced a new Saint Seiya TV series, which probably won't be an Omega sequel.

P.S. I love Precure, just don't want Dragon Ball to become Precure for young boys XD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm a bit skeptical about this movie, since well..I kinda wasn't the fan of the previous movies, and DBZ really has quite a lot movies. Worst thing is that it's set in my least favorite time frame, where ALL non-Saiyajin characters were degraded to nothing. Even Krilin (since Yamucha and Tenshinhan became nothing at the very start of DBZ, even though they're more interesting than some Saiyajin characters).
But...that's pretty much any movie after The Tree of Might, that's a pretty large timeframe. They might as well just make another Dragon Ball movie rather than a Dragon Ball Z one to suit that (which is rather difficult, as it's made clear that Goku didn't have contact with most of the Dragon Ball cast during the years that followed his marriage). I'm pretty sure they're making this to add on to DBZ canon in the years that followed since fans find it fascinating to see "the lives after" of the characters and how they would face conflict after years of peace.

Though, I've always been fond of the idea of an alternate timeline (because DBZ LOVES "What ifs") where something happened to Raditz's scouter and rather than Vegeta and Nappa showing up, the events of Tree of Might unfolded (seeing that that movie takes place based on the idea that Vegeta and Nappa never come to Earth, but Goku still dies) and it went on from there. It's a normal fan idea, which is ironic due to my keeping away from fan-fiction, but I wouldn't mind a series like that. It would force the writers to use the original cast to their full potential without making them underpowered (the game "Attack of the Saiyans" managed this rather well), and it would be a popular idea. Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, and other characters really aren't that weak, they're just weaker than the Saiyans and Piccolo and they are interesting.

Still, I am quite the fan of the characters introduced due to the events of Z, but if they were to make a film involving the original cast I'd really like to see a Dragon Ball movie, mainly because there were only 4 of those and all of them were "What ifs", though they were good (especially Path to Power).

Back