• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading Scams in XY

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
I once was scammed on an old D/P site. I had a couple of chained shinies ( I was pretty durn good at chaining in that game) and I was trading them off for perfect IV/ nature match ups. Well it's easy to say you have these when you don't, I lost ALL of them to scams and all the users were banned. Didn't help that I had a bunch of POS pokemon now. I, however, have had no such experience on this site. It's pretty secure over all.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I was almost scammed a few years ago, but it wasn't anything major. I was then harassed over mic by the individual who I believe was trying to con a decent-IV Eevee out of me in exchange for a Totodile that was supposed to have a certain moveset and nature. I took my time to discover that it in fact did not have what was promised whilst being rushed by the other individual.

I'm not 100% sure of details. I just know that the person thereafter tried to do it again with a different FC and forum name (I recognized the voice over the mic) with a different Pokemon. It was really, really stupid lol

Dusk White

Terra's Protege
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2014
I've being seeing scam shiny for days now i got some ligit shines

Elements1

Meh
Years
I've being seeing scam shiny for days now i got some ligit shines

Like on PC or just generally? I've only been scammed on the GTS never PC ^^ love this community's trade place!! Thanks Cordelia, Absol, Keiran, and tabor62 for their great mod work :)

Elements1

Meh
Years
Well recently i've seen a lot of random passerby's trying to trade me a gengar with gengarite and saying its a shiny. I can't really tell the difference O.o.

When you trade, look at the summery of the Gengar, you should be able to see a shiny star if it's shiny. If there is no star then it's not.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
Yea well before X and Y i have never used gts. I mainly traded with 1 friend. My friend did use gts and he got a lot of (very badly)hacked shiny pokemon for his legit shiny's. When i uploaded all his pokemon on pokécheck all his traded shiny's were hacked and had just big red flags. Now he doesn't use gts anymore, only for dex completation.

Tek

Years
I've never been scammed on GTS or internet trades with passerby because whenever someone says "5v, 3 EM" or "shiny egg", I automatically assume they're lying. If I want to get something like that, I'll trade with someone I can actually message or talk to.

Haven't done any trading here yet, so we'll see. Seems like this place attracts honest folks (and/or discourages dishonest ones XD), but... I'm the type of person to take a chance on a newbie, so I might end up getting burned >.<

EDIT: Uh, is this thread dead or not????

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Apparently I scammed someone (I'm on the blacklist). I just find it funny that the mod who temp banned me is now retired, the guy I apparently scammed hasn't been on in a while and that my infraction points have vanished.

Funny world. But yeah, if you do get scammed you really should report it to a mod. But use common sense, guys.

Years
I don't really trade except through wonder trade.

Trade scams are the number one reason I'm afraid to trade with strangers (huehuehue)

At least with wonder trade I know I'm likely to get duped in the first place and just trade common pokes.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
This was actually on OR but I saw a good deal on a shiny Charizard in GTS. I rushed to get it and succeed only to see on its summary that it was apparently hatched in the year 2049! Obviously a fake and now it just sits in my box. But no one can stop me from using it if I want to use it!

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Dec 1, 2016
I dunno. I had never set my system clock before I collected my shiny beldum from the ORAS event. It ended up with some ridiculous date like 1900!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 20, 2015
If you aren't trading shinies or pokemon that are really rare, you don't get hacked pokemon that often, right? Now I'm all worried, cuz typically I trade normal pokemon for normal pokemon I don't have on gts. Hacked pokemon don't mess up your have do they? :/

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
Once, Someone offered an Egg that had a bit odd name (probably just an egg from a different
country.), and told me it was a Diancie egg. Gave my shiny Cofagrius for it :'(
I didn't know anything about it back then so yea..

Back