• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
Topic hijack!

Vague, open-ended and somewhat philosophical question now, something I'm sure many of us have thought about: what is sexuality for you? Not "what is your sexuality?" but what is it in general, or what is it to you? Did we do this question already? Well, if we did then just ignore and talk about gaydar or whatnot.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
Topic hijack!

Vague, open-ended and somewhat philosophical question now, something I'm sure many of us have thought about: what is sexuality for you? Not "what is your sexuality?" but what is it in general, or what is it to you? Did we do this question already? Well, if we did then just ignore and talk about gaydar or whatnot.
I don't think it's been asked yet.

To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation. However, unless people strictly ask about my gender identity, I'll leave that part out. The reason behind this is the fact that most people only care about sexual orientation, and few outside the LGBT community (and plenty in, such as my little brother) have no clue what a gender identity is.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This is an interesting question that I feel like I view different than most people.

To me, your sexuality is who you want to be with. If you're a man that's sexually attracted to both men and women, but only romantically attracted to men so you'll only ever be with men, I would consider that gay. That's a point that I feel I disagree with some people; a lot of people tell me that sexuality is only what you're sexually attracted to, which is why we need the terms to describe who you're romantically attracted to. But imo, if you're never going to be with someone of a certain gender, it doesn't matter if you're romantically attracted to them or whatever.

/controversial xD

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I guess my opinion is quite bland on this situation. To me, sexuality is simply what gender you're attracted to and how you choose to act on that attraction.
Short and concise is the best way for me to explain my feelings on the situation.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The funniest thing happened at school. One of the county board members who is known for her extreme homophobia came by our campus to discuss something about taxes. She used a public restroom there, so some lesbian students who live in her district decided that they'd ask her why she is homophobic. She stormed out of the restroom yelling that they tried to rape her. The woman is like 80 years old.

Hold on.. how do you know what actually happened in the restroom? ._. They're not allowed to put cameras in there..
@_@ Though if that is true.. it's quite ridiculous. I'm very sad that homophobia and discrimination exists.. :c..

As for sexuality.. I like TornZero's response with "To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation."
However, I would even go so far as to say someone's identity.. and not just their gender identity. Sex is natural for humans and therefore that's why/ how I can see it is part of their identity.
I guess to better understand what I mean.. take Samantha from Sex in the City for example; her sexuality plays a huge role in her character.. and although sexuality doesn't necessarily has to be public, I feel it still affects who you are as a person :3

Just my thoughts <3

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Hold on.. how do you know what actually happened in the restroom? ._. They're not allowed to put cameras in there..
@_@ Though if that is true.. it's quite ridiculous. I'm very sad that homophobia and discrimination exists.. :c..

As for sexuality.. I like TornZero's response with "To me, "sexuality" is the broad term that refers to sexual orientation, gender identity, and romantic orientation."
However, I would even go so far as to say someone's identity.. and not just their gender identity. Sex is natural for humans and therefore that's why/ how I can see it is part of their identity.
I guess to better understand what I mean.. take Samantha from Sex in the City for example; her sexuality plays a huge role in her character.. and although sexuality doesn't necessarily has to be public, I feel it still affects who you are as a person :3

Just my thoughts <3

I don't know. That's just what she says happened.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Really? How much do they cost? Where can I buy one?

Freaky, you're in luck! As a woman, you have one pre-installed, and at "that time of the month", it's even more powerful.

Also, to my mind sexuality refers to physical attraction and physical attraction alone. Most people are lucky enough that who they are physically attracted to and who they are romantically attracted to match up, but for those that don't, I'm happy to use the extra term.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Freaky, you're in luck! As a woman, you have one pre-installed, and at "that time of the month", it's even more powerful.

Also, to my mind sexuality refers to physical attraction and physical attraction alone. Most people are lucky enough that who they are physically attracted to and who they are romantically attracted to match up, but for those that don't, I'm happy to use the extra term.

Too bad my birth control medication causes me to only have four periods a year.

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
So many 'LGBTQIPAAOS' people here on these forums!

To me, sexuality is just physical attraction. Like Shining Raichu said, you're lucky when physical attraction and romantic attraction match up. I'm gay, I'm only physically attracted to men, but I can feel attracted to women for their personality (though it doesn't happen that much).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I could get in on this... Joining. ^^

I reckon sexuality is mainly about sexual attraction but definitely does take emotions into account too. I'm a gay guy and am only really attracted sexually to guys. I've felt for women before in the past but never as anything more than a friend, and have only ever felt more than that towards guys. It just seems that sexual attraction isn't enough to define a sexuality... If that makes sense? You have to be able to love the person too, in my mind.

Years
I was hoping some of these responses would help me word my own reply to the question I asked, but it's still just as difficult to describe.

I sort of agree with Toujours that there's a practical aspect to it. It doesn't feel right to call yourself something that you're not, except I'm on the fence about whether I feel it's more important to explain sexuality in terms of what you do or what you are. It's common to say that sexuality means "attracted to _____" but does it apply if you've never acted on your attractions or accepted them? And with someone's sexual identity, does one have to do something to be that identity or can they simply exist in it?

Like, say you're a guy and you were attracted physically to men, but you felt more comfortable actively engaged in relationships only with women. Are you gay because that's what your attractions are, regardless of what decisions you make? And is your identity completely subject to your biology then, or do you allow for personal decisions to be part of your identity? I don't like the idea of having my identity being completely out of my hands so I feel like there's got to be some level of choice involved in saying "I am _____."

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years

AND THIS IS WHY ANDY IS SO SKETCHY @-@ My gosh ;.; Get a boyfriend :P

I was hoping some of these responses would help me word my own reply to the question I asked, but it's still just as difficult to describe.

I sort of agree with Toujours that there's a practical aspect to it. It doesn't feel right to call yourself something that you're not, except I'm on the fence about whether I feel it's more important to explain sexuality in terms of what you do or what you are. It's common to say that sexuality means "attracted to _____" but does it apply if you've never acted on your attractions or accepted them? And with someone's sexual identity, does one have to do something to be that identity or can they simply exist in it?

Like, say you're a guy and you were attracted physically to men, but you felt more comfortable actively engaged in relationships only with women. Are you gay because that's what your attractions are, regardless of what decisions you make? And is your identity completely subject to your biology then, or do you allow for personal decisions to be part of your identity? I don't like the idea of having my identity being completely out of my hands so I feel like there's got to be some level of choice involved in saying "I am _____."

Exactly what confuses me sometimes @-@ I've enjoyed my relationship with all of the girlfriends I had. I just never wanted sex or really... any fluid exchange ^-^' From them. But, I personally realized that I was mostly using my ability to form "actively engaged" relationships as a cop out because I don't understand men and they scare me o.o' That's why I've decided to at least try men for a while. Maybe @-@ I have a conceptualized theory of what I'd like in a GUY at the very least :P

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
Welcome, AlexOzzyCake!!!

Huh? Sketchy...what? I don't understand lol. What do you mean?
Oh *hides* I was sure that I had at least another hour until Andy woke up from his bat cave :3 Nyeh... Is got a lot of esplaining to do the next time I see you on msn :3 We'll just keep it at that ;)

And welcome Mr. Cake guy :D *tends to be careless sometimes* I totally misssed that x3

Back