• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I just get the Power icon instead of the fairy type icon ingame.What did I do wrong?

Did you do the correct co-ordinate/Place the co-ordinate in the correct location in the table? Did you use the correct type hex value? It should be 0x17.
Recheck these. Part 1 of the tut mainly.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2023
I did everything like you(same size , same hex variables).I made it a 2.Time and now it displays the Type Icon.Please help!

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I did everything like you(same size , same hex variables).I made it a 2.Time and now it displays the Type Icon.Please help!

Did you actually repoint the icon sprite? That's the only way I can see this happening. Due to the Type Icon being in the same location as the newly appointed Fairy one

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2023
I found out that I can use the Fairy Icon if I set the Type of a Pokemon to 22.And no, I do not repoint, because I dont know how.Can I use your tutorial if I replace the 0x17 with 0x 22?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I found out that I can use the Fairy Icon if I set the Type of a Pokemon to 22.And no, I do not repoint, because I dont know how.Can I use your tutorial if I replace the 0x17 with 0x 22?

0x22? That's kind of weird, but if it works, what can I do to stop you? Just replace all instances of 0x17 with 0x22.
The only way I can see this happening is if you did something to the positioning table...

Edit: Oh wait, you didn't repoint? That's your problem. It should be in Part 1 of the tutorial.. This is critical, just saying. It's much easier if you do it. You'll also learn for the remaining part of the tut because repoint is kind of necessary.

Last edited:

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
Hi, at this step, what value am I repointing and with what? Regards.

'Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. Also, any mention of 0x16 from this point onwards should now be 0x17'.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hi, at this step, what value am I repointing and with what? Regards.

'Due to a post in Mr.DollSteak's rombase thread, it appears that the Effect Icon IS USED. So, you HAVE TO REPOINT THE ICON POSITION TABLE. I repeat: you now have to REPOINT no matter what. Also, any mention of 0x16 from this point onwards should now be 0x17'.

Uh, repoint the Icon Position Table, like it says in the quote. Except, add one more entry. That's it. If its more types, add more entries.

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
I really need to thank you! This is the first time I've ever done any hex editing, and this works perfectly! This is exactly what I was looking for, Regards. :15:
(and thanks for the quick reply)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Hi, This has worked almost perfectly, but I have run into one problem, when I go into any menu where you have to enter text, such as renaming a Pokemon, it appears as in the image. The hack I am using as a base is liquid crystal. I've noticed this only happens when I add the Fairy icon by changing the image height in NSE, I have repointed all of the data, and everything works correctly apart from this,
Regards;

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hi, This has worked almost perfectly, but I have run into one problem, when I go into any menu where you have to enter text, such as renaming a Pokemon, it appears as in the image. The hack I am using as a base is liquid crystal. I've noticed this only happens when I add the Fairy icon by changing the image height in NSE, I have repointed all of the data, and everything works correctly apart from this,
Regards;

Hmm. Perhaps something went wrong with the repointing? Or, you inserted a new palette that was possibly used by the renaming pokemon screen. I suggest checking something in relation to these.

ThePsyShyster

Jack of All Trades...
Years
When I click Export Bitmap on NSE, nothing happens. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, or tell me a location I can download a bitmap that includes fairy type?

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
I just used the one posted by ShyRayq, from an earlier step in this tutorial (just right click and save image)
You can see it further down from Part 1: The Icon and it's further down from the part where it mentions go to the offset for the icon coordinate.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
I just used the one posted by ShyRayq, from an earlier step in this tutorial (just right click and save image)
You can see it further down from Part 1: The Icon and it's further down from the part where it mentions go to the offset for the icon coordinate.

One thing is that I tried using that, but when you open it, it says it isn't with multiples of eight.
~ This is my first time doing something like it, so if I'm missing something, kindly let me know. Thanks

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
One thing is that I tried using that, but when you open it, it says it isn't with multiples of eight.
~ This is my first time doing something like it, so if I'm missing something, kindly let me know. Thanks

When you load the original status hud in NSE, it shows a dialog box with image height and width as 16, so if you use the one made by ShyRayq, just change the height to 18 and then import it from there.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
When you load the original status hud in NSE, it shows a dialog box with image height and width as 16, so if you use the one made by ShyRayq, just change the height to 18 and then import it from there.

Why do you change the height to 18? That isn't divisible by 8.

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
Why do you change the height to 18? That isn't divisible by 8.

The actual image is sized at 128*144, which are divisible by 8, giving you 16*18.
In NSE, just enter it as 16 * 18 and when you import it, it will look something like this,

kRiShNa_96

The Vigilante
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 18, 2015
Hm...this is what it says..

Okay, Start again...
Open NSE and Load your Rom
Then Click Navigate, Pokemon, BPRE, Hud, PKMN, Status
Click on Image Size and change height to 18
Then import the sprite data for the bmp with the Fairy Type
and continue to follow the tutorial

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 16, 2018
Okay, Start again...
Open NSE and Load your Rom
Then Click Navigate, Pokemon, BPRE, Hud, PKMN, Status
Click on Image Size and change height to 18
Then import the sprite data for the bmp with the Fairy Type
and continue to follow the tutorial

Thanks so much. Only problem is that I forgot to get my Pallette Offset. This was my first one, so it should be default. Does anybody know it?

Last edited:

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
I tried to import your sample type sheet in my NSE 2.0/1, and the I already change the Load sprite box into Load Palette+image but nothing happened, only the palette is imported in the rom. how is that?

Back