• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ?Now, which Pok?mon do you want??

Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?

• Pikachu

Votes: 29 13.3%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 52 23.9%
  • Charmander

Votes: 85 39.0%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 52 23.9%

• Total voters
Years
I always go with my emotions and pick Charmander, even though he is the toughest to raise. This is because I really fell in love with Ash's on the tv show. His backstory as an abandoned Pokemon awaiting the return of his trainer made you really want to hold him close, it was that much more endearing because he turned out to become Ash's most powerful Pokemon in Kanto, he was the one you called when all hope seemed lost to try to make a comeback. Then he turned into a glorious medieval dragon and became at times the most noble and others the naughtiest teammate Ash ever had. Charizard is one colorful character who could bring formidable style, unexpected humor or deep emotion to the story.

I was so excited as a 10 year old when I discovered there were these games called Pokemon red, blue and yellow because it meant there was a way for me to raise my own charizard!!

I am really fond of the gen 1 fire types and would often monotype with them, they were always awe-inspiring creatures like dragons, tigers, kitsune, firebirds and unicorns.

I also enjoyed playing with all three of the starters in this generation over and over again and these will always be my favorite starters.

Last edited:

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
While I have yet to play Red or Blue, I definitely gave Yellow a shot. That would put me at Team Pikachu.

Pokemon Yellow is a game I would replay over and over again, and still do! However, if I were to try R/B in the future, I would go for Squirtle. I've abused Charmander in the PMD games, and Bulbasaur is my least favorite of the three (although the cutest, let me tell you).

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Charmander now. Charmander forever. Although I did like my Yellow version for variety when it came to starters. I have started with Squirtle and Bulbasaur, but they're just not... Charmander.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I don't really like Pikachu because I don't think it deserves most of the praise it gets. I bet if it wasn't a starter/mascot, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I've always had a soft spot for Bulbasaur. Seems like the underdog of the bunch.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
I've always been a big water type fan. When I was a kid I collected the cards and watched the show and occasionally watched my best friend play the games, and I basically wanted to be Misty. (And will always regret letting said best friend convince me to trade my Blastoise card for a Charizard.) So when I finally a chance to play the games this year, there was no question of what to pick; I'd known for years that Squirtle would be my starter. So I did my first game of Blue with Squirtle, and he did not disappoint. (I also played with Squirtle in LeafGreen, and will probably do a solo Squirtle run of one of the Kanto games at some point.)
In Yellow, I used all four of the starters on my team, and really enjoyed that. I can definitely appreciate each of their strengths. I feel like Bulbasaur is the best grass type I've ever played with (though I'll admit I tend to find grass types not much use in general). Charizard was awesome in Yellow, but I wouldn't want to use it in a game where it can't learn Fly. I never minded Yellow Pikachu not evolving; Pikachu is one of my favorite Electric types to have on my team in any game and I never evolve it.

Bad Egg

An error
Years
Though I picked Bulbasaur, I'm still surprised that Bulbasaur haves more votes than Squirtle and that Pikachu has lowest votes despite being mascot of the series.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Recently I picked Charmander in Pokemon Blue, as for a challenge early on. :]

Though my favourite from the bunch is Bulbasaur because it's pretty amazingly bulky and powerful with it's grass moves. Venusaur is outstanding to use. <33

Years
when i open my leafgreen game on my birthday this year, i'm choosing squirtle *female hopefully*, because currently i have bulbasaur *name is rose... even thought there was not gender in that game* on my yellow game, a female charmander *name is fia* on pokemon x.... so i thought why not :)

i love that turtle :)

Last edited:

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
Though I picked Bulbasaur, I'm still surprised that Bulbasaur haves more votes than Squirtle and that Pikachu has lowest votes despite being mascot of the series.
Why are you suprised? Bulbasaur is the best Gen 1 starter, no exception. In fact, it's only recently been surpassed as best starter Pokemon of all time. By Rowlet, the greatest Pokemon to ever exist.

Years
I'd pick Bulbasaur, Back in the Gen 1 days Grass types were OP! Even my first play through I picked Bulbasuar, not sure why but I did. But since Gen 1 the grass starter has never been really that viable unless its Sapphire and you pick Treecko. Big up the ugly flower toad!

Nelsy

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Pikachu and not because I own Yellow version but because it's super effective against Pidgey and Spearow(two flying types you face early on) and learns Thunder Wave really early, an excellent status move that makes catching that much easier early on. Plus Yellow version naturally learns Thunderbolt and is the perfect option for Misty(Mankey or Nidoran can handle Brock).

ThunderCorp.

Cause you never know...
Years
Bulbasaur, hands down.
The reason you ask? Well first, no one chose it (poor thing). Second, Bulbasaur is the best starter you could have. He was cute, Ivysaur was cool and Venusaur was badass. It also was good in battling (type-wise). My brother chose Squirtle for his leaf-green and still hasnt finished the game, while I beat it my FireRed and also completed the post-game. I chose a Charmander in one of thos Pokemon RPG simulators (Pokemon World Online, if anyone wanted to know) and it took a lot longer to beat Kanto then it did in my FireRed even though it was the same basic stuff. So if I want to choose a starter, Bulbasaur it is

Last edited:

K2VoltHD

I make wonderful and funny Youtube videos. You sho
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
To be honest, I would go for Charmander because even though that Charmander has problems at the first and second gym due to its typing. But Charmander has a lot of potential than the other three, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle like its moveset and can evolve into a really strong Charizard.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2018
The first Pokémon I ever chose was Charamander in Red Version, so if I'm playing RED the choice would be the same every time. When I play Blue I flip a coin between Squirtle and Bulbasuar (though I prefer Bulbasuar).

All that said, CHARIZARD FOR LIFE!!! lol

Back