• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, I picked Turtwig, because it is my absolute favorite starter ever because it is a adorable turtle, which eventually evolves into this still adorable but monstrous turtle with a tree on its back. That is badass.

In SoulSilver, picked Cyndaquil, because I adore Cyndaquil since forever ago. lol I don't have as much to say about it as Turtwig fml

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Did you do that with a ROM?

I was referring to Cyndaquil to clarify; my bad. I was in a rush to post that.

To clarify again, I went with all 3 Sinnoh starters in D/P/Pt in different playthroughs. In HG/SS, I went with Totodile in HG and Cyndaquil in SS.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I always start with Cyndaquil as it's one of my favorite Pokemon or maybe it was because I chose it way back when. On my replays I usually go with Totodile next because I love them too.

I really like all of the Gen 4 starters so if I was replaying I would just pick one I hadn't used recently. I'm not good at picking favorites :c But since I chose Turtwig my first run of Sinnoh, I'll vote for him.

LadyAyeka

Warlord of Aurora
Years
Like MissDakota, I'm a water-type girl, always choosing the Water starter. So in Pearl and Platinum I went with Piplup. In SoulSilver, I decided to change things up a bit and went with Chikorita. So far this has worked out just fine for me. (I usually only buy one game out of the pairs, so I don't own Diamond or HeartGold).

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I'm a Fire-type trainer at heart, so in SoulSilver I went with Cyndaquil. In Diamond I chose Chimchar as well, but I wasn't feeling it, so in Platinum I went with Turtwig and I'm feeling much better about it.

Ultimate Uchiha

Switchin' It Up
Years
Since there hasn't been an electric type starter since Pikachu in yellow, I could never choose a starter based on type alone so I usually just choose by offensive abilities. This is why I went with Cyndaquil and Piplup.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm a grass type lover, so in Diamond I picked Turtwig. I don't have Platinum yet, but I'll probably end up picking Turtwig again cause I love it so much.

In HeartGold I picked Chikorita. I end up regretting it though. I only picked it cause I was extremely biased of all grass starters back then, and now I'm trying to be more open-minded about my choice. Chikorita is definitely not the best of the Grass-starters. When I/if I ever restart my HeartGold, I'll pick Cyndaquil.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I started playing Platinum a few weeks ago, and didn't realise how good the Sinnoh starters were! It was actually a tough call as to which one to go for, unlike in most generations. But, in the end, I went with the ol' reliable Fire type and chose Chimchar. And wowzers is Infernape good! It's one of the few starters that I haven't gotten rid of during the game, which is a testament to just how good it is. And partially because of the dearth of Fire-critters in Gen IV... but that's neither here nor there!

As for SoulSilver, I'm not a massive fan of any of these starters, with Meganium and Feraligatr being two of my least favourite starters. By that logic, Cyndaquil was always going to be my pick, even if Typhlosion is kinda boring in comparison to most of the other Fire starters. Except Emboar... ugh!

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
All of the Johto starters are great.

Of the Sinnoh starters, Turtwig is the only one I'll choose.

But I picked Chikorita as my starter, female. I love love love Meganium. Typhlosion definitely comes close though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
In DPPT, I always pick piplup. I had a thing of picking water type starters, such as this one.

HGSS, Cyndaquil. This one is an exception because Typhlosion is cool, and I personally dislike Totodile.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
in pearl I chose turtwig (torterra in my opinion is extremely strong and one of my favorite pokemon) and in diamond I chose chimchar, platinum I chose piplup for soulsilver I chose cyndaquil and when I play heartgold I plan to choose chikorita (grass/ground types just have a place in my heart (': haha) also because my brother traded me an egg with a tododile so I will have grass and water starters for HG

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
In Platinum I chose Turtwig just because I don't really start of with grass types that often and the main reason I even chose Turtwig was because of Torterra's Grass/Ground typing.

In HeartGold or any game that's in Johto most of the times I start off with Cyndaquil just because Typhlosion is one of my favorite Pokèmon's and I remember playing Crystal where I would use only Typhlosion and when I battled Red my Typhlosion was level 100 and it easily beat Red :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For most of the games I played, I chose the Water-type. But for SoulSilver, I chose Chikorita.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Turtwig in Diamond, Chimchar in Pearl, Piplup in Platinum, Totodile in HeartGold & Cyndaquil in SoulSilver.

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
on platinum no 1 i chose piplup
on platinum no 2 i chose turtwig and traded piplup and chimchar on
on hg no 1 i chose chicorita who is rubbish
on hg no 2 i chose totodile

my favorite is a tie between empoleon, feraligatr and torterra

Mentalii

Back
Years
I usually always choose the water starter. Always. So, in DPP, I started with Piplup. But I was very disappointed by it. I guess it's Emploeon's double type, that really disturb me. A water type has to be strong against fire, so I couldn't bear it not to resist that much. So, I reluctantly started a new game (I was far in the game, but the starter is too much important for me), and picked Chimchar. And, I have to say that I'm very happy with my decision. Infernape's way more practical than Empoleon, and it's great for the Battle Frontier.

In HGSS, I chose Totodile. My favourite starter ever. Plus, it's the water type, so it was an easy choice for me.

Back