• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Tutorial] Reading Error Messages (targetted at Pokemon Essentials users)

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
- If there are any particularly important errors you feel should be placed here, please send me the error and I'll put it here. If you have the solution for it, that would be great too, but I'll try to find it otherwise.

- Please, do not post errors that you are looking for solutions to here, those belong in the essentials thread (but it would be preferred if you could look here and try to solve it yourself first, instead of cluttering the essentials thread with repeated errors).

- If there is anything you would like to point out, or think should be clarified, be sure to tell me.

- If the solution is not here, then please be sure to format you error as I have done with the errors below before posting it in the Essentials thread. It makes it easier to read and keeps simple posts from taking up excessive space. In other words: it's courteous.

This is a common error when trying to add new Pokemon. The exact cause and solution are unknown, but you may be able to figure something out here. The last three posts are what you're looking for.
Spoiler:

If you see either of these errors, upgrade to the latest version of essentials.
Spoiler:

This error means that a map in connections.txt no longer exists (it was erased after setting up the connection, or was simply done wrong in the first place). The part in green is the map ID of the map you erased.
Spoiler:

This error means you improperly set up a trainer, or are calling it wrong. The blue is the event ID, map ID, and map name respectively. The orange is the script you used to call the trainer.
Spoiler:

This error means you called a non-existent method in one of your scripts, usually by misspelling it. The event ID, map ID, and map name (respectively) are in blue. The script section (Main, PokemonUtilities, PokeBattle_ActualScene, etc.,) is in green (both the number and name), and the line you'll find the error on is in orange. The actual item that caused the error in this case is in yellow (I put pbMessages, instead of pbMessage to generate this error on a certain script).
Spoiler:

This error occurs from a syntax error in a script command used in an event. The colored line is an exact description given by the error itself of what to do.
Spoiler:
This not only happens with trainer events, but also adding pokemon or items. For example, if you use:
Kernel.pbReceiveItem(PBItems::POTION)
or even something like:
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::BULBASAUR),
it usually won't fit on one line. When it's too long, do this instead:
Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
PBSpecies::BULBASAUR)

Notice that the first '(' is on the first line, and the rest is on the second line. It's as simple as that.

This error occurs from improperly configuring townmap.txt (often from using townmapgen.html improperly, since it confusing until you're used to it). You'll find the error when trying to access the location of a pokemon in the pokedex, looking at the townmap, or the pokegear map function:

Spoiler:

SevenDragons was kind enough to give me a tip on this one. This is a problem that occurs when using regional dexes. This is his description of the cause of the error:

Spoiler:

To fix this error, go to PokemonPokedex and find this line: pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex) and change it to this: pbRefreshDexList($PokemonGlobal.pokedexIndex=0)

OTHER ERRORS:
Sometimes you'll get a pop-up message telling you there's a syntax error. If the line it refers to is the last line of the script section, it is likely that an 'end' clause or a closing bracket (such as this ')' or this ']') was forgotten, otherwise just check the line it tells you and you'll find the error (often as simple as misspelling something).

With Vista users, and error like this occurs: Failed to obtain a trial serial number from the nTiles server. To remedy this, go to C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPGXP, and right click the RPGXP.exe file (the orange icon with a dragon silhouette) and click 'Properties.' Select the 'Compatibility' tab and check "Run this program in compatabilty mode for:," selecting the Windows XP (Service Pack 2) option from the drop down list. Then under priveledge level check "Run as Administrator."

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
You don't figure this would be better suited to the tutorial area? As it is structured in that same sense.

CAmerenc

Prof. Fire/Psychic Trainer
Years
I have the newest version of Essentials, yet i still get the
Spoiler:

error message when i go to a map that i have made "outdoor = true" in Metadata.. PLEASE help...

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I have the newest version of Essentials, yet i still get the
Spoiler:

error message when i go to a map that i have made "outdoor = true" in Metadata.. PLEASE help...
The only fix I've heard about so far is upgrading to a later version. If the newest doesn't work, you may want to try an older one. If nothing else, PM me and I'll send you mine.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2012
This is not an "error", but in the latest version of Pokémon Essentials the double battles don't work!( the opponent does not atack!) how I fix this?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This is not an "error", but in the latest version of Pokémon Essentials the double battles don't work!( the opponent does not atack!) how I fix this?
If it's not an "error", why did you post it in here? Go look at the Essentials thread.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The only fix at the moment is to get an older version of Essentials. I put a link up for one.

I have a feeling you were told this already...

JakeClowd

the Silent Clowd
Years
Can somebody please pm me on an explanation of this one:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 0, key Evolutions

Compiler:175:in `csvPosInt!'

Compiler:2414:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2394:in `each'

Compiler:2394:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:2391:in `each'

Compiler:2391:in `pbCompilePokemonData'

Compiler:3521:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:3638

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I've gotten errors like this before. It means that I used the wrong variable in the evolution method. The problem is the part that says "pokemon.tst, section 0, Key evolutions"

I Don't Have A Section 0!

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Can somebody please pm me on an explanation of this one:

Exception: RuntimeError
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 0, key Evolutions

Compiler:175:in `csvPosInt!'
Compiler:2414:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2394:in `each'
Compiler:2394:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2391:in `each'
Compiler:2391:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:3521:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3638

I've gotten errors like this before. It means that I used the wrong variable in the evolution method. The problem is the part that says "pokemon.tst, section 0, Key evolutions"

I Don't Have A Section 0!
That's a strange error. What exactly did you change to cause the error? Did you properly set up the Evolutions section of any pokemon you added? Also, were you trying to implement any new evolution methods and using them for any pokemon you added?

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I need some help with this one ↓

Exception: Errno::EACCES

Compiler:3869:in `save_data'

Compiler:3869:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:3930:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4027

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I need some help with this one ↓

Exception: Errno::EACCES

Compiler:3869:in `save_data'

Compiler:3869:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:3930:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4027
That error's been brought up a few times, but so far no one has been able to answer it. When does the error come up, and did it come up after a recent change that you can think of?

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2011
Pokemon Silver Chronicles 2.0
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonBag:115:in `refresh'

PokemonBag:106:in `each'

PokemonBag:106:in `refresh'

PokemonBag:41:in `initialize'

PokemonBag:453:in `new'

PokemonBag:453:in `pbStartScene'

PokemonBag:1148:in `pbStartScreen'

PokemonMenu:164:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

PokemonMenu:163:in `pbFadeOutIn'

PokemonMenu:163:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
This isn't the right spot to be posting your error messages, and also, you posted this in a thread that's over two-months. I'm going to have to close this thread.

-locked-

Back