• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some good and unique hacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
I know it's kind of rude of me to barge in here and ask for you guys to do the searching for me, but I'm really kind of tired of sifting through information when somebody else likely has the answer.

What are the most UNIQUE Rom Hacks? I know there are a lot of good hacks out there, as in well-made, but how many good ROM hacks break from the traditional formula? Anything as small as changing the way you get your first pokemon to something as large as making the game actually open ended.

A lot of the threads don't really seem to advertise their games very well. Most of the bullet points in threads are things like "de-capitalization" or "new gym leaders" but I am looking for something a bit more interesting than just that.

Sorry if it's rude or against the rules to post this. Thanks to anyone that can help.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
It's all up to the indivdual and what they like. I recommend Pokemon Turquoise but again that my opinion/recommendation. If you want to find the ones you like, then yes, unfourtunately you'll have to keep searching. I suggest looking through Hacks Showcase to views some of PC's finest finished products.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If it want something unique then I suggest you check out all three of destinedjagold's games. They're very unique and far away from the original formula.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Sienna looks pretty good.

And to post#2, Uniqueness isn't about preference at all. It's about getting away from the same_game_every_time formula. The "good" part is something I can easily decide for myself if people help to point out the unique hacks.

Also, as far as "most unique ever," Pokemon My Ass is an incredibly strange and funny hack.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I second Pokemon Turquoise. Tropical Sunlight strayed quite far from the default formula, but it's still on-track enough to keep the feel of nintendo's games. It also has some nice fakemon, an added plus in my book.

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
Years
I know it's kind of rude of me to barge in here and ask for you guys to do the searching for me, but I'm really kind of tired of sifting through information when somebody else likely has the answer.

What are the most UNIQUE Rom Hacks? I know there are a lot of good hacks out there, as in well-made, but how many good ROM hacks break from the traditional formula? Anything as small as changing the way you get your first pokemon to something as large as making the game actually open ended.

A lot of the threads don't really seem to advertise their games very well. Most of the bullet points in threads are things like "de-capitalization" or "new gym leaders" but I am looking for something a bit more interesting than just that.

Sorry if it's rude or against the rules to post this. Thanks to anyone that can help.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230399&page=4 :]

Also, if your really looking for unique, might I suggest the Game Development section? They really have top tier stuff over there. Tbh, I think the things they make there are better than anything I could ever make Rom Hacking :/

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
Also, if your really looking for unique, might I suggest the Game Development section? They really have top tier stuff over there. Tbh, I think the things they make there are better than anything I could ever make Rom Hacking :/

Out of those, what would you recommend? You seem like you've played a few. What are some of your favorites?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Pokemon Sienna is very good.

Is it a good hack? Yes. Is it unique in the sense that the OP implied? No.

As Manipulation (lol) mentioned, destinedjagold's hacks are very unique and perfect for someone looking for a change of pace. I personally recommend Rescue Rangers. It combines the Overworld style of the Mystery Dungeon series with the battle system of the Adventure games and it's a lot of fun. Other than that, I can't think of many "unique" hacks because I'm perfectly fine with the standard, 8-gym story line. The only other one that I can think of is ToxicPurple but it hasn't had any new progress in a while (though there is a playable version out there somewhere).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
This is different criteria than the original post, but I don't really want to make a new topic:

What are some great finished or playable at least to elite four hacks out there? Great as in mostly proper grammar, no incredibly ugly sprites, no obvious glitches, and a good amount of custom content.

I'll keep an eye on Sienna, and also some others. Thanks for the recommendations so far, I enjoyed the games. If I find what I am looking for outside this thread, I'll post it.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
The only one that really fits that bill for me is Pokémon Brown and rijionAdventures by coolboyman and Hiroshi Sotomura. I would say destinedjagold's hacks again but they don't totally fulfil your criteria.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Well, if you're looking for finished games: Pokemon Quartz but it has incredibly ugly sprites D:

But, well, the only other finished hacks I can think of at the moment are what Manipulation mentioned, Brown and RijonAdventures.

Years
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but what are some good, unglitchy hacks with nice Fakemon? I do love Fakemon.

Kenpokid

Hee-ho!
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2016
What are some great finished or playable at least to elite four hacks out there? Great as in mostly proper grammar, no incredibly ugly sprites, no obvious glitches, and a good amount of custom content.

FireRed Omega!
It's FireRed, only you can obtain all Pokemon (No bothering with trading :D), different starters, and three endgame areas.
He also changed some Legendary positions (EG: Raikou, Entei, and Suicune are found on Two Island)

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Naranja was far and away my fav. I liked the game play and scripts of darkblue 2.0, but it was so full of glitches It's almost not worth playing without having to use a debugger. brown and prism are pretty good two, but I still like naranja best.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2011
I hate to hijack the thread as well, but what are some good hacks with some nice Fakemon that are complete that aren't Chaos Black or Quartz?

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2012
I hear Sienna has 10+ hours of gameplay at only 4 gyms. That's neat!

I'm not sure how done Turqoise is, but it looks really good!

I'll check out Rijon Adventures some day, too. It's not done yet, so far as I can tell. I'll give it an honest try once I am done with the 4th gym on Sienna, I guess!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm gonna jump up and say play the Ruby Destiny Trilogy, by destinedjagold. Its a unique game, if I do say so myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back