• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever quit Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
I have once. It was a while after Black and White came out. I have believed I was too old. Of course in early 2012 I returned because I found friends who still play Pokemon and I missed the experience of catching, training, and battling with Pokemon.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yes. I'm currently in that state of having quit now. On the other hand, it depends on if you mean quit everything about Pokemon, or quit everything official about Pokemon. Clearly, I'm talking about the latter, else I wouldn't be here.

Honestly, Game Freak, Creatures Inc, The Pokemon Company, Jr. Kikachu et. al have nothing for me anymore. I don't think I've outgrown the series so much as I think I've stopped caring. There's just no need for me to spend money on stuff that no longer entertains me. Having said that, I'm far from a person who'll bash on the franchise side of things (save for the endless sequels thing, but every series gets that from me, I'm no respector of franchises, here), and I'm genuinely happy that people are still enjoying Pokemon for generations to come. I'm also not really a nostalgic, either, so don't lump me with that crowd.

I haven't, however, and probably won't quit fan perspectives on the series, though. I'm in too deep, too heavily invested at this point. I still like to talk about things beyond the series, such as morality in hypothetical relations between Pokemon and humans, or characterization of the Pokemon themselves. And as far as the creative side of things, oh-ho, I can immerse myself in that all day long and never get tired of it.

I'm really more of an outsider, I guess. Ya'll can have your fun with the games. I'm gonna just hang out over here and paint this Pokemon mural that represents how I feel about Pokemon culture. And then I'm gonna have people critique it while we all sip grape juice and pretend to be intellectual while busting up laughing over how ridiculous we all sound. And yes, some kind of Nido will be in said mural, 'cuz that's how I do things.

Years
I never quit Pokemon as in saying "I'll never play this again," but there was a pretty long stretch between 2005 and 2008 where I might play for a day or two, and not pick it up again for a few months. The third gen games seemed to be a little short for my liking, and once you beat the main game, there was really not much to do (aside from the Battle Frontier in Emerald, which I never owned).

I started playing on and off again back in early 2009, but didn't really become invested in the series again until I got a DS during Summer 2011. At that point there were already three sets of games released that I hadn't even tried (D/P/Pt, HG/SS, B/W), and the quality of the games really helped me enjoy the series again.

I may not play them as religiously as I did back in the days of Yellow and Gold, but with so much to do in the current games plus the release of X/Y in October, I don't think I'll be bored with the series for quite a while.

Years
I have never quit Pokemon at anytime and it's likely I never will.

It's a franchise I literally grew up with.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I was quitting in 2007 or 2008 if I could remember, but I returned to Pokemon gaming in 2010 when I've got my Nintendo DS Lite.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
We seem to get this question often.

I've never quit Pokemon per say, but there's been times where I haven't been able to play cause I didn't have the required system to play the current games. Such as ,I couldn't play any Gen III games until 2005 cause I didn't have a GBA until Pokemon Emerald game out. And I could play Diamond and Pearl until 2008 when I got Diamond for Christmas cause I didn't have a DS of my own. I'd play on my brother's DS Lite until I got my own original used DS in 2010. I know that doesn't really count as quitting but you know. But no, there's never really been a time where I've quit playing Pokemon. It's too fun and hard to let go. :)

Inferna

hello stranger, i'm a disaster
Years
I've been playing on and off since September, I think my interest is gradually wearing thin in the games. I wasn't that excited when X and Y were announced but I'll see what happens come October.
I still like drawing and spriting, just not the games so much anymore :|

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I quit in 2011 after I lost my DS and didn't bother getting a new one. Without a DS there would be no point in following the newest games when I didn't even want to buy the system for it.

Now though I got access to the Black and White so I'm still into the series, just not as much as I used to.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Yeah I quit on pokemon a couple of years ago. (3-4? Cant remember) My reason was same as for you MM, I thought I was too old. And the 4gen reduced my interest to almost zero. It just didnt feel right. Afterwards I found my way back to pokemon by playing the original red/blue and some interesting hacks. :D And now I have regained my interest. Played that 4gen (diamond version) and...I still dont like it. But it was not as bad as I thought. :D

Years
I have quit Pokémon many times, sometimes several times a year. But everytime I see a new game announced, a new movie released or anything else I tend to get stuck in the series again. I guess that's Pokémagic. =)

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I have periods where I don't play very much for a couple months or so (happening now, actually), but I've never officially quit Pokemon for any reason. It is one of the only series that I buy games and merchandise for consistently, and actually care about new releases and stuff. I hope to someday introduce any children I may have to the series.

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Right now I'm wayyy too attached to the series, so probably not (and no, I haven't quit either). As long as they're coming out with something innovation, it's all good for me. Plus, the fandom is amazing. Hacks...fanfics...art...there's not a lot of fandoms that can achieve all of those with so many people. This trend will keep going for some time, I presume, and it's not going to die yet (at least, not until Game Freak launches the final Pokemon game), especially after Game Freak and Nintendo launched the first 3DS Pokemon games.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
There was a time when i was 14(i think) where i was going through the 'adult phase' where i left everything childish behind which included pokemon.I had forgotten about pokemon for a few years but thankfully a website reminded how fun pokemon was and i have been in love with pokemon ever since.

P.S- Don't grow up.It sucks.

Years
I had to quit Pokemon when my Gameboy (alongside with all of my games) was stolen back when I was... I think 8 or 9 years old. All my Pokemon games went there - blue, yellow and gold. All of my Pokemon.

I came back to Pokemon when I was on seventh grade. My friend was playing Sapphire at school, and I managed to borrow it. After she took it back, I worked like I've never worked before to gather money for Nintendo DS and Diamond.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Back when the 3rd generation was on the rise, I had left Pokemon for Playstation gaming. I skipped a few years and the 4th generation as well, that is mainly the reason why I had little to no knowledge of both 3rd & 4th generation but do have extensive knowledge on 5th. So, there was that period that I wasn't heavily into Pokemon gaming, but it still remains part of me no matter what.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since this can go for other things like anime and TCG, I'm gonna move it to Pokemon General. This topic will have more room to groooow and expaaaand.

I never quit the games per se, as I always had a Pokemon game of the generation, though I didn't get into main games till gen III. I did quit the anime though, at random times. I didn't watch much of anything past the original series. And I quit the TCG for a long time too, which is funny, because that was where I began with the series. I recently started picking back up on collecting the TCG though. But overall, I've never quit Pokemon.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I believe I might have stopped playing the games for quite a while after the second generation (GSC). I hadn't played the third generation (RSE) on a handheld console before when I was younger, so I guess I might have been dormant right about then. I didn't exactly quit Pokemon though. I still liked Pokemon, but I just didn't play the games and wasn't too much into it. All of this changed when DPPt was released. I jumped straight back into the fandom like how a lost child finally reunites with his mother. :')

I guess that this is, as mentioned by Plusleminun, Pokemagic after all. <3

Back