• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Credit to SneakerTheOtter for the Haxorus front sprite (although I made lots of changes to his sprite, he still made the base pose)

Also Axew's color is different because turns out his in-game sprites were REALLY OFF COLOR compared to the Sugimori art.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I don't know if this will be any help, but I re-sized Horsea, front and back.

eU35KJG.png
6fNQnYS.png

For the front sprite, I resized by ~80% and managed to keep it within a 48x48 square albeit one pixel because of the tail curl. For the backsprite, I resized it by 85% percent (I was gonna do 80% but it looked too small). I was also gonna edit the palettes but you'd be better at it than I would so I'll just leave that to you (if you decide to use these). I used the DPPt front sprite (interesting note: the BW sprite is the same sprite) and the HGSS backsprite.

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I don't know if this will be any help, but I re-sized Horsea, front and back.

eU35KJG.png
6fNQnYS.png

For the front sprite, I resized by ~80% and managed to keep it within a 48x48 square albeit one pixel because of the tail curl. For the backsprite, I resized it by 85% percent (I was gonna do 80% but it looked too small). I was also gonna edit the palettes but you'd be better at it than I would so I'll just leave that to you (if you decide to use these). I used the DPPt front sprite (interesting note: the BW sprite is the same sprite) and the HGSS backsprite.

Chaos is not accepting any help at this point. Just FYI.

The sprites aren't bad (the outlining is a little off), but you did them wrong. The front sprite has to be resized to match the size of the gen III sprite (Imagine the gan III sprite in the gen V position to get a good feeling of how large. I usually base it off of the head size.) and the backsprite has to be 80%. No if, ands, or buts about it. Lastly, they have to use the BW palette. I can't tell if you did that, but it is necessary.

However, you have to pm Chaos examples of your work first. Don't pester him. If he likes them, he will get back to you. If he doesn't get back to you, then that means you need some work. Practice hard and in about a month or two, when you have improved, send another pm.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Chaos is not accepting any help at this point. Just FYI.

The sprites aren't bad (the outlining is a little off), but you did them wrong. The front sprite has to be resized to match the size of the gen III sprite (Imagine the gan III sprite in the gen V position to get a good feeling of how large. I usually base it off of the head size.) and the backsprite has to be 80%. No if, ands, or buts about it. Lastly, they have to use the BW palette. I can't tell if you did that, but it is necessary.

However, you have to pm Chaos examples of your work first. Don't pester him. If he likes them, he will get back to you. If he doesn't get back to you, then that means you need some work. Practice hard and in about a month or two, when you have improved, send another pm.

Oh. Well, that would have been good to know >.>

The reason I didn't change the palettes is because Chaos said he used the Sugorami (sp?) artwork to base the palettes off of (last time I checked). But yeah, I'll take note of that if I ever try to help in the future. Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
@PJBottomz: Sorry dude, but I've already decided that I am doing ALL of the Kanto Pokemon. Front sprite resizing is getting pretty easy for me, and I already have about 50 backsprites finished from a previous incarnation of this project. Right now, I'm doing all the Kanto and Unova sprites (with some past help from Wiznatts), and karatekid552 is doing the Hoenn sprites (which I haven't assembled into sheets yet).

@karatekid552: Actually for the palette thing, I simply want a palette that matches the Sugimori art closely, and I might have told you for the Hoenn sprites to use strictly B/W palettes, and that's because in B/W, most Hoenn Pokemon received completely new sprites, and as a result they all have palettes that closely match their Sugimori art :) For instance, take a look at Grovyle's Sugimori art, and then compare it to D/P Grovyle, and B/W Grovyle. Obviously B/W Grovyle matches far better :)

Also another rule: if the sprite you're resizing already fits within 40x40, then there is no need to resize it at all. Both D/P Horsea and HG/SS Horsea already fits within 40x40, so the front sprite doesn't have to be resized at all. Basically, if the sprite fits within 40x40, then ignore the "has to be same size as Gen III sprite" rule

New sprites:

Credit to Wiznatts (I think?) for the Beartic front sprite.

Also I just want to say Cryogonal's back sprite was massively hard to do...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2020
@ Chaos Rush I see your venonat's sprite in your hack... (good work, I love this hack)
why you don't post it?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So I kind of went on a rampage today and yesterday...

(I made two Stunfisk backsprites, one is based off the B/W one, but the wide perspective of it prevented me from enlarging it to as large as I normally do, so I made another backsprite based off of what I saw on Pokedex 3D Pro... meh)

Credit to Wiznatts for the Mienshao front sprite

Probably the best backsprite I've ever made, ever

Credit to Wiznatts for Bisharp front sprite

@ Chaos Rush I see your venonat's sprite in your hack... (good work, I love this hack)
why you don't post it?
I'll post it later when I get to doing more Kanto Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Now we have everything except Legendaries.

(Credit to Wiznatts for Volcarona front sprite)

You might notice with Zweilous and Hydreigon's sprites, there were several errors that I fixed. According to Bulbapedia, the Deino family was originally intended to be cyborg-dragons that were part-tank and part-dragon, hence why Zweilous and Hydreigon have those purple tank-track markings, which are a remnant of their original intent. However, they were scrapped, and then late in production they decided to add them back in, but modified their designs to be based off of Yamata no Orochi. It appears that they finalized the sprites before they finalized the Sugimori art. Here are the errors that I've fixed:
*Zweilous now has little spiky-protusions coming from each neck, like the official art
*Zweilous now has one nostril per head, just like the official art
*Hydreigon's eye is now purple rather than red, just like the official art
*Hydreigon's tongue color is now pink rather than a deep red, just like the official art
*Volcarona's wings on the backsprite is now drawn correctly. The artist for the B/W backsprite mistook the dark-red sections on the front sprite as "shading", and so the backsprite in B/W lacked the dark-red sections, which has been corrected in my backsprite.

Next up, the Musketeer trio...

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2021
wow! Those are really nice sprite, you have definitly improved since the beggining of your gen V sprites!

The only issue I see is the size of Heatmor. As we only see the top of its head, it seems like it's a really small pokemon (even Deino seems bigger).

I prefer the first Stunfisk sprite because we can easily reconnize the pokemon and has a better quality IMO.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey guys, which one of the two Stunfisk Backsprites do you recommend to be used?

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
Whoa! You update so fast! O: I can tell you put a lot of work on the sprites, they're more than good! :3
Best of luck with this amazing project!
Hey guys, which one of the two Stunfisk Backsprites do you recommend to be used?

I don't know, it's up to you. But for me, I'd use the first one.

Archeops

Pixel artist and hack player
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
As always, VERY impressive spriting work, Chaos! The same goes for everyone else who has worked on the spriting project so far! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Legendary Pokémon, although I know they'll take a lot of work to make.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2015
your work is realy usefull, thanks for that.
I have one question, i thinks i know the answer but that cost anythink to ask:
Have you planned to do a 2nd frame ?

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2013
your work is realy usefull, thanks for that.
I have one question, i thinks i know the answer but that cost anythink to ask:
Have you planned to do a 2nd frame ?

No,he is not doing it,i have cheeked the whole thread like 2 times
i do not need to say it
I only deleted them from the post. I still have the files. But I'm not going to make any more second frames, do you really expect me to make 1947 sprites (649 front + 649 frame 2 + 649 back)? 1298 sprites is a little more manageable than 1947. (and yes I know I got some help with Sinnoh backsprites so I don't really have to make 1298 sprites blahblahblah) :

i hope i helped you

EDIT : Nice Work chaos! he he i do not mind the swoobat and archeops back sprite,they are 95% good and 5% bad in my opinion

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Helping Guidelines for the DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource

So you want to help out with the sprite project? Or you're just wanting to know how I do things? Then read up. I have decided to make this tutorial/guideline-whatever-thingy because a large amount of people have PMed me wanting to be a helper, but I just don't have time to individually keep track of every sprite that someone makes for this project, and the fact that there are a lot of guidelines to follow. And I mean, a lot. To the point where you may even call it ridiculous. But alas, quality is what matters, and every time I make a sprite for this project, I follow all of these guidelines.

First of all, the point of this project is so ROM hackers will stop using crappily resized sprites in their hacks, where no effort was made to clean them up. Compare these two screenshots:
1_zps8e60619b.png
2_zps58077b0c.png

As you can see, the one on the left looks absolutely disgusting. On the left screen, the sprites weren't cleaned up at all. On the right, the sprites are cleaned up. The aim of this project is to create a clean, usable sprite for every Pokémon. Another problem is that some people don't even bother resizing sprites if they already fit, which would make the Pokemon look ridiculously huge. This project avoids that by resizing Pokémon to the relative size that they had in their R/S/E sprite, and for Gen IV and V Pokémon, good judgment is simply used to make sure Pokemon have good relative sizes to one another.

As for the actual sprites for this project, we don't just pick a random sprite of [insert Pokémon here] from any random DS game. I have specialized "big" sprites that are handpicked by me to be resized specifically for this project. We'll call them the master sheets. They are posted on the bottom of this post. These sprites are all 80x80, and are the only sprites to be used when doing a sprite for this project.

You may notice that some of these sprites have custom palettes. This is because many Pokémon had a color palette that was very off in comparison to their official Sugimori art. As new games came out, the problem became more and more apparent, as Pokémon from Generations IV and V seemed to match their Sugimori art just fine, while Pokémon from Generations I-III not so much. This is because a lot of Gen I and II Pokémon have used the same color palette since Ruby/Sapphire, before they even had their official artwork remade! When Ken Sugimori redrew the Generation I Pokémon, he made a lot of minor design changes, some that didn't make it into sprites until Pokémon Black & White (such as Clefable now having purple wings, or Venusaur having pink spots on its flower instead of yellow), and some changes never made it into sprites at all! Luckily for Pokémon X & Y, all Pokémon are having their colors taken directly from the Sugimori art, so all these color discrepancies are a thing of the past. But right now we're talking about Gen III ROM hacking, so sprites are still relevant. The reason why not everyone might have noticed how off-color the Gens I-III Pokémon are, in comparison to how Gens IV & V were spot-on is simply because our eyes are used to seeing them in the same colors since Ruby/Sapphire.

Ok, I'll shut up now and let's start the actual resizing part. These are the basic rules to follow:
Spoiler:

All necessary sprites will be posted here:

Master Sheets: (go to bottom of this post)
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Front Sprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/generation-3.png
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver Back Sprites: http://veekun.com/static/pokedex/downloads/heartgold-soulsilver-back.png
note: I recommend either downloading the individual HG/SS backsprites from the Veekun site, or just copy+paste the HG/SS backsprite from the Veekun Pokedex. DO NOT USE BULBAPEDIA TO GET YOUR BACKSPRITE, because Bulbapedia only has the crappy D/P backsprites.

Spriting "tutorial":
Spoiler:

To help with this project, just follow these instructions:
1. Pick a Pokémon that doesn't have its sprite sheet done yet.
2. Get the Pokémon's sprite from the Master Sheets posted above.
3. Get the Pokémon's HeartGold/SoulSilver backsprite. Make sure it is specifically from HG/SS, not D/P or Platinum.
4. Resize accordingly, using the tutorial as a reference/helper/whatever.
5. Simply post the front and backsprite all cleaned up, that's all.

Do not worry about shiny sprites, as I will handle those. Also do not worry about assembling them into sheets, I will do that myself. Chances are I'm going to end up making a minor edit to your sprite(s) anyway, as no sprite is perfect (not even the official ones).

Also, because of how many palettes from the Master Sheet may differ from the HG/SS backsprite, of course the HG/SS backsprite will have to be recolored to match the front sprite from the Master Sheets. But don't do that. Let me do that, as many people have been recoloring them wrong, or incomplete.

One more thing, I might have said this earlier, but let me emphasize: If the Pokemon looks like its the same size sprite-wise as it was in Gen III, or fits in a 40x40 square, don't resize it. Examples of Pokemon that obviously don't need to be resized are Pichu, Oddish, Gloom, Cubone, Ditto, Togepi, Natu, Swinub, Aron, Luvdisc, etc...

7/28/13 amendment: if an entire evolutionary family fits within 64x64 and it is not a single-stage family, then the front sprites of said evolutionary family do not need to be resized. I've been following this rule myself with the Kanto and Unova sprites, such as how I didn't resize the front sprites of Klink, Klang, and Klinklang because they all fit. HOWEVER, if the Pokemon looks ridiculously huge, and I mean, ridiculously huge despite the entire evolutionary family fitting in 64x64, then it should still be resized. (For example, Glalie)

8/23/13 amendment: don't recolor the HG/SS backsprite at all. Let me do that, since many people have been doing it wrong and/or incomplete.

MASTER SHEETS:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back