• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Eye of the Storm (DarkMage is back!)

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Yeah, I'll be posting pics from time to time I've already posted elsewhere. I'm distributing them to keep the hype active and buy me time to release a demo ;)

Let's start with some 3D renders:
nvg.jpg

The first render. too long and looked too much like binoculars.

nvg1.jpg

I did some rescaling and editing, and began adding the strapping that goes over the head

nvg2.jpg

Same from the back

nvg3.jpg

Night vision mode (I ruled out infrared for the game)

NOTE: The above are really old renders. I'll be showing the latest ones later.

Esai

♥♥♥ With Bubbleicious ♥&#9
Years
.. this game is too awesome for words.. the screens rock!!

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
It's nice to see you back DM. Your game is looking impressive. The 3D is also looking nice. Anyway cya round and good luck with this.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Well, the goggles look nice. I remember seeing them before, but there was a head there before.

Breakout

sugar free
Years
  • Age 35
  • Uk.
  • Seen Jun 17, 2008
Nice game darkmage, I've seen the trailer and it looks sweet.
You seem to have accomplished a lot is this game so far.
Good luck with the demo!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Update: I have completed the crouching system. Crouch is toggled by hitting the Shift key. Crouching makes you move slower, but you will be quieter. I'm working on animating it now.

I still have to develop a visibility formula that takes into account:
1) Crouch or not
2) Shadow cover
3) Pressed to wall?

I haven't done the wall press system yet, another thing on my list of things to do. I built in to the AI the limitations of his vision already. The farther away you are from him, the less shadow cover you have to be in to remain invisible. If he's right next to you, you better be in the heaviest shadow there is!

Brittany

Back?
Years
DarkMage31 said:
Update: I have completed the crouching system. Crouch is toggled by hitting the Shift key. Crouching makes you move slower, but you will be quieter. I'm working on animating it now.

I still have to develop a visibility formula that takes into account:
1) Crouch or not
2) Shadow cover
3) Pressed to wall?

I haven't done the wall press system yet, another thing on my list of things to do. I built in to the AI the limitations of his vision already. The farther away you are from him, the less shadow cover you have to be in to remain invisible. If he's right next to you, you better be in the heaviest shadow there is!
This sounds really good! I'm drooling for a demo DM :P

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Hope coming up with that formula doesn't take too long Darkmage.

dotFallen

Hunter of Darkness
Years
Glad your back darkmage. I was sad when lunar was cancelled bud glad your back with a game that looks even better

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
The algorithm is done:

Code:
[(S * 10) / 2] + 8(C) + 2(P)

S = Shadow cover (0-10, ten is most invisible, 0 is fully illuminated)
C = Crouched (1 = crouched, 0 = standing)
P = Wall pressed (1 = pressed, 0 = normal)

I am now making an algorithm to determine if the guard sees you or not. Or I may keep what I have. I need to think more.

D-jo4000

Gamemaster. Pokeruler
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 12, 2009
Ummm how do you have 3d-rendered things in an rpg maker 2k(3) ?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
The game isn't in 3D like it would in a console game. I render the images in TrueSpace 3.2, my 3D modeling program, and render them to images. I open them up in an image editor and convert them to 256 colors. I then import them to RPG Maker and use them for backgrounds and such.

The goggle renders I'll be showing now and then are for cutscenes, equipment briefing, etc. Not like ingame stuff.

Did that answer your question?

D-jo4000

Gamemaster. Pokeruler
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 12, 2009
yeah that answered my question I just didn't understand that before

NY babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
You know that last post of yours was a bit spamy SadFurret...
Anyways, I'm quite amazed at how you made that Algorithm, DM!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I came up with a little bit more to add on, and now the visibility meter is working perfectly!

The white bar shows how visible you are. If you are not in total shadow, as a guard approaches the meter goes up. The closer a guard is the greater the chance of you being seen.

Also, if you accidently bump into a guard they'll go on full alert now too!

To keep the hype going:
nvg4.jpg

nvg5.jpg

nvg6.jpg

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Wow, I needed to dig this thread out of the second page!

As always, I've got updates.

-I've reworked the structure of the AI. I can now do more stuff with it
-I've added a "clamping" animation around the speed gauge (yes, there is a speed gauge for your convenience) that transitions when you crouch and uncrouch. You'll see how it works when you play it eventually. It created lag in the crouch/uncrouch sprite animation, but I realized this probably won't happen if I make it a battle animation instead of a picture sequence. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Back