• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I don't see the charm as cheating either. It's an actual part of the game, a reward. Its not something you artificially put into the game or used the RNG system, seems legit to me.

Anyway checking in, had a couple of days off, played Kingdom Hearts 3D, but now I've decided to SR for a Heatran for my squad. Never actually owned a shiny legendary before, so I'm hoping that will keep me motivated.

Need to get a Pokémon with syncronize with the right nature first, and get the magma stone. So much planning just to get a shiny, haha.

To all new members welcome, to all who have got a new mon, congrats and to everyone else happy hunting!

Last edited:

rager3

Akatsuki Member
Years
Big Update GUYS!!!!! I Got a Massive suprise last night at 8 PM ( 2PM in US)

I Was studying for my exam an got bored. So i decided to hunt for shinies but needed a console that i could hide before my parents came up haha :D

So i chose to hunt on my GameBoys and on my 54th Encounter guess What popped up ?!

Fotoğraf-0003.jpg

I'm so happy but i'm not gonna train it yet cause my lack of badges so when i get my 6th badge i'll EV train it .
I've also got a youtube channel with the video posted . Sorry about the quality i just can't seem to adjust my HD camera on the screen and its all flu.

Good luck on all your hunts

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
So I kinda gave up on Starly but I tried again today, but still no Shiny. BUT I WILL GET IT DON'T WORRY GUYS!

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Currently owned Shiny Pokemon: Charmander, Vulpix, Magikarp, Gyrados, Zangoose, Wynaut, Luxray, Garchomp, Boldore, Woobat, and Haxorus
Currently huntin for : Paras, yes it sounds weird but I just happened to have a Japanese one in my posession.

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
Hope you guys all had a good Thanksgiving, SHC!

Thanks to Thanksgiving, I got a bit of time to hunt, and now I'm up to 4748 Eevee and 13047 Johto starters.

I was wondering about luck and was trying to see if there's a way to tell whether the shiny hunting gods hate me or not, and I tried to come up with something to measure how lucky/unlucky someone is at shiny hunting. Here's what I came up with:

EPS.png

What's more fun than unnecessarily complex formulas? :pink_laugh:

(Feel free to skip to the spoiler tag if you don't want to hear me rambling about numbers. :) )

Here, EPS means Encounters per Shiny and xEPS means expected Encounters per Shiny. For hunting in grass without a shiny charm, xEPS is pretty much always going to 8192, and EPS is going to be however many Pokemon you have to encounter on average in order to see a shiny. For example, if I found 10 shinies in 10,000 encounters, my EPS would be 1,000 (you can think of it as total Pokemon seen divided by the number of shinies you've found).

There are some neat things about this:

• If your number is 0, your luck is completely neutral.
  • If your number is positive, shinies love you!
  • If your number is negative, shinies hide from you and you need some more luck buckets! :D
  • The highest number you can get is essentially 1 (technically 0.99987792968, but that's close enough, "lol"), which would mean that every single Pokemon you find is shiny. The closer you are to 1, the luckier you are!
  • There's no limit to how low your luck number could be, so you could theoretically have luck in the negative millions.
  • If you don't have any shinies, your luck is negative infinity! You have not yet enjoyed the thrill of a successful hunt, and every shiny hunter deserves to find a shiny at least some of the time! :pink_smile:

Now this only works for hunts where you've counted every Pokemon encountered, and you can't count shinies you didn't hunt for because you wouldn't have an accurate number. You also need to make sure you include the hunts that haven't shined yet, since you get negative luck for not getting shinies.

I've counted 6 of my successful shiny hunts:

4196 for Elgyem
610 for Litwick
2559 for Abra
1000 for Spheal
5977 for Spiritomb
4188 for Druddigon

All of those numbers are less than 8192, so you would think that I have incredible luck, right? Well, if you include my hunts that are still ongoing, I've had an additional 37,986 encounters without another shiny, so my total EPS is 56516/6 = 9419.333.

Putting that into the Luck Equation gives me L = 1 - (9419.333/8192), which comes out to -0.150. So my luck is bad, but it's not all that far from being average.

Now for those of you who hunt with the Masuda Method or Shiny Charm, things get a lot more complicated:

Extended_EPS-FIXED.png

Here,

ES% is the percentage of your shinies that you found through random encounters, soft resetting, and other 1/8192 events like fishing.
M4S% is the percentage of your shinies that you found through MMing in GenIV.
M5S% is the percentage of your shinies that you found through MMing in GenV.
SCES% is the percentage of your shinies that you found while hunting with the Shiny Charm in BW2, and
SCM5S% is the percentage of your shinies that you found through MMing in BW2 with the Shiny Charm.

EEPS is your EPS for encountered (or SRed) shinies, M4EPS is your EPS for GenIV MMing, etc.

This is really the same thing that I posted above, but it goes into detail in order to account for the variations between different xEPSes. The Masuda Method in GenIV gives you a shiny every 2048 eggs, so we have to separate MM shinies from random encounter/SR shinies. The percentage things are used to weigh the different factors proportionately; if you have 100 SR shinies but only 3 MM shinies, your fraction whose xEPS is 8192 should be 100/103 times greater than fraction with 2048 as its denominator. I technically used this formula too, but my Masuda% and Shiny Charm% were both 0 and my Encounter% was 100%, so the final ended up just needing my encountering numbers.

I wouldn't count all eggs hatched (since we're not counting randomly-hatched shinies), but whenever you hatch eggs with the intention of getting a shiny, you should probably count those eggs. Of course, this is all just for fun, so it's totally up to you.

If you want to find out a rough estimate on how lucky you are, feel free to use the formulas or send me a list of your shinies and how many encounters you spent on each one (and your encounters for unfinished hunts, too)!

Spoiler:

Woah, congrats on all those shinies! We've had a great month with all those shinies, haha.

Way to go, Chr. Draco, on getting 4!! I'm sure those are way over the weight limit for the monthly quest!

Le Krome seems to be on a roll too, with 3 just this month!!

Lunafloon, I noticed from your sig that you have a lot of yellow shinies, "lol." You might want to eventually go for all shinies of the same color, since you already have a bunch! :)

*throws a non-shiny Magikarp at NightOfRemorse to keep the shiny ones for himself*

Spoiler:

Welcome to the club!

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
So I have had about 4000 to 5000 encounters now and still no shiny Rufflet. I have also hatched about 50 or so eggs. I try to hatch eggs and do grass hunts at the same time now. I might just give up on Rufflet for now. Think I am gonna see if I can get a diffrent one for now.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Hello (:
These are my shiny Pokemon-

Gyarados (either 2 or 3) - Lake of Rage [Transferred from HG/SS to Diamond version]

Buneary - Global Trade [Original game unknown; currently on Diamond version]
Golbat - Random Encounter [White version]
Chikorita - Soft Resetting [HeartGold version]
Bidoof - Random Encounter [Diamond version *Forgot about it and deleted my save file

I currently would like to find the following shiny Pokemon-

Ponyta

Duskull (<3)
Ditto
Pinsir
Geodude or Onix

I generally use the Pokeradar or breed (sometimes with the Masuda method) to find shiny Pokemon. I forget the route number, but I like looking in a specific place for shinies on Diamond version. It has wild Ponyta, Geodude, the occasional Chansey, and some Kricketune. I would like having a shiny of any of these, so hunting there is ideal for me.

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
Hello (:
These are my shiny Pokemon-

Gyarados (either 2 or 3) - Lake of Rage [Transferred from HG/SS to Diamond version]

Buneary - Global Trade [Original game unknown; currently on Diamond version]
Golbat - Random Encounter [White version]
Chikorita - Soft Resetting [HeartGold version]
Bidoof - Random Encounter [Diamond version *Forgot about it and deleted my save file

I currently would like to find the following shiny Pokemon-

Ponyta

Duskull (<3)
Ditto
Pinsir
Geodude or Onix

I generally use the Pokeradar or breed (sometimes with the Masuda method) to find shiny Pokemon. I forget the route number, but I like looking in a specific place for shinies on Diamond version. It has wild Ponyta, Geodude, the occasional Chansey, and some Kricketune. I would like having a shiny of any of these, so hunting there is ideal for me.

Great name, wonder where it came from (wink, wink)

what you want is around Solaceon Town. and this is without looking it up. also, Serebii.net, for those of you fledgling hunters, is a great place that has all the latest Pokemon news, and has maps and locations of every Poke in the games. this is usually how i decide where to hunt sometimes.

Well, Thanksgiving came and went, i worked overnight the past two nights, survived Black Friday at work, and been resetting for Ho-Oh all day, hoping for the shiny Turkey to shine for me (in HeartGold, i kinda stopped the hunt for awhile), but so far, nothing. ah well

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 19, 2014
It's not very encouraging for me to see new members with 10 times more shinies than me, and they haven't even started hunting. G, if those equations of yours are correct, what is my luck? I have encountered probably 1M Pokemon, and only two random shinies. That is not much.

Years
Sorry for not posting in forever yet again. Lol.

But! Alas! New shiny for me as well! Congrats on everyone elses' masses of the things!

Right now I'm trying to capture... shiny Lugia!!
Will elaborate more later ^_^

EDIT: Had to masterball it as it started struggling. Lugia shone after only 807 SRs! Amazing stuff :DD
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I plan to restart my Heartgold Game later to see if I can get a shiny during the run of the story like I did the last time,I also want to get my Red Gyardos back. The main one I will be trying to get during the run through will a Hoothoot or Noctowl and a Miltank. I also want to try to get a Tentacool like I did back in the first Gold,but didn't know it was special at the time.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Great name, wonder where it came from (wink, wink)

what you want is around Solaceon Town. and this is without looking it up. also, Serebii.net, for those of you fledgling hunters, is a great place that has all the latest Pokemon news, and has maps and locations of every Poke in the games. this is usually how i decide where to hunt sometimes.

Well, Thanksgiving came and went, i worked overnight the past two nights, survived Black Friday at work, and been resetting for Ho-Oh all day, hoping for the shiny Turkey to shine for me (in HeartGold, i kinda stopped the hunt for awhile), but so far, nothing. ah well
Thanks X)

Yeah, I just couldn't remember the name of the town or the route number. Honestly, I just haven't shiny hunted in a while...probably 3ish weeks (and I was just breeding Turtwig to get a shiny one as a Christmas gift for a friend).

Oh, good luck with the Ho-Oh. I reset my version of SoulSilver, so I haven't encountered any legendary Pokemon. It would be pretty difficult and too time-consuming to get shiny Entei/Suicine/Raikou. Perhaps I'll go after Lugia or the bird trio, instead.

Soar

n00b
Years
I wanna join!
I have only caught a shiny magnemite in the power plant in Emerald.
What is a soft reset to get shiny starters?

The shiny pokemon I want
~ All starters
~ Hypno <3
~ Gengar / Gastly / Haunter
~ Seel / Dewgong

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I wanna join!
I have only caught a shiny magnemite in the power plant in Emerald.
What is a soft reset to get shiny starters?

The shiny pokemon I want
~ All starters
~ Hypno <3
~ Gengar / Gastly / Haunter
~ Seel / Dewgong

Soft reset is when someone keeps resetting their game in order to try to get a shiny starter. You have to start a new game and check all the starters and see if they are shiny. If not the person uses the delete save file button click and starts a new game in order to see if there is a shiny. And you repeat until you get a shiny starter.

Soar

n00b
Years
Soft reset is when someone keeps resetting their game in order to try to get a shiny starter. You have to start a new game and check all the starters and see if they are shiny. If not the person uses the delete save file button click and starts a new game in order to see if there is a shiny. And you repeat until you get a shiny starter.

Will the pokemon be shiny when you see their picture in the little box or do you actually have to accept them and battle to see if its shiny?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I ended up stopping, but I was soft-resetting HG earlier today. I made it to 19 SRs before I had to get out of the car. Nothing so far.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Will the pokemon be shiny when you see their picture in the little box or do you actually have to accept them and battle to see if its shiny?
That I do not know. I just remember seeing someone explain it on this site somewhere not too long ago and the way they explained it,is that the picture would be shiny. You probably could search google or bing and it might explain better. I have never tried it myself.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Soar, you can tell it's a shiny by the picture. (:
I obtained a shiny Chikorita by soft-resetting. I suggest studying how the Pokemon appears as a shiny so you can quickly recognize it (to avoid accidentally soft-resetting and removing a shiny).

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
excuse me, let a pro hunter butt in here.

first off, NO the pokemon, except in HeartGold and SoulSilver, WILL NOT show up as shiny when you see the overworld sprite. you MUST be in battle to see if it is shiny.

second. Iceman is wrong on how you reset. if you have a GameBoy Advanced, you press A+B+Start+Select. if your on the DS's, its Shoulder pads+Start+Select.

yeah, i may have sounded like an ass here, but i dont want misinformation to go out to newbie hunters

Back