• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emboar Deck - help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAF

:D
Years
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a tournament legal deck around Tepig and evolutions, but I haven't ever played against anyone other than very casually, and I am really not sure where to start. I know that HGSS on is legal, I have lots of CoL cards, and all but 4 B/W cards.

So, any ideas for me?

Cheers!
Tristan

EDIT: I should also add, the 4 B/W cards I do not have are Samurott, Serperior, Water Energy, and Pikachu, so it should have no bearing. I have ~6 of each Tepig card, and 3 or so of each Pignite. I also have 2 of each Emboar card. I've heard that usually you have 4-3-4 with Stage 2 decks, so I can cover that easily. I also have two Reshiram cards if they are useful (one foil, one ultra rare).

I've got at least 3 of every trainer card in the set.

Ok I've been having a bit of a play and this is what I have got so far

Fire Energy x 15
Tepig (15) x2
Tepig (16) x2
Pignite (17) x2
Pignite (18) x1
Emboar (19) x2
Emboar (20) x2
Pansear x2
Simisear x1
Darumaka (24) x2
Darmanitan x1
Reshiram x1
Pokemon total: 16

So I can have 28 trainers:
Energy Retrieval x3
Energy Search x3
Full Heal x2
Potion x4
Poke Ball x3
Pokemon Communication x2
Professor Oak's New Theory x2
Revive x3
Super Scoop Up x2
Switch x4

How does that look? All cards are from B/W except for Prof. Oak which is from Call of Legends.

Last edited:

LAF

Years
So I played a few games today and won 1/3. I had trouble getting a Pignite, and actually only got Emboar out the third game, but every game I had a few Emboar's on hand. I got another Ability Emboar today so I think I'll take out the other two, add the ability Emboar so I have 3, and then add another Pignite.

I also swapped a Potion and a Switch for a Professor Elm and a Cheerleader's cheer. I want to take out Pansear/Simisear and possibly Reshiram but I want to use Ninetales which I don't actually have. I have found that Darumaka and Darmanitan work very well and I had Darminatan out most games. Also I have no trouble grabbing Energy, but I do have trouble with pokemon, so what should I change for some more Pokemon grabbers, and what grabbers should I use?

Cheers,
Tristan

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
i like it could use elms so you can get your pignite.

Years
You could probably do without all those Potion and Switch and replace some of them with Pokemon Collector, then add in Pokemon Communication to retrieve the Stage 1 and Stage 2 cards you need. Alternatively, replace PokeBall, as it's too unreliable a retrieval card, while Collector and Communication in combo are far more reliable. I'd also use some Rare Candy so you have the option to skip Pignite, since you've got a 4-3-4 evolution line there, which are used because of the presence of Rare Candy in a deck.

LAF

Years
Ok, cheers for the help, I don't have Pokemon Collector or Rare Candy. I've been fiddling and this is the current decklist:

Fire Energy x15
Cyndaquil (CoL) x2
Quilava (CoL) x1
Vulpix (CoL) x1
Magby (CoL) x1
Tepig (#15) x2
Tepig (#16) x2
Pignite (#17) x3
Emboar (Ability) x3
Darumaka (#24) x2
Darmanitan x1
Dual Ball (CoL) x2
Copycat (CoL) x1
Black Belt (Triumphant) x1
Prof. Oak's New Theory (CoL) x2
Prof. Elm's Training Method (CoL) x3
Cheerleader's Cheer (CoL) x2
Twins (Triumphant) x1
Switch (B/W) x2
Revive (B/W) x1
Potion (B/W) x2
Pokemon Communication (B/W) x2
Poke Ball (B/W) x3
Full Heal (B/W) x1
Energy Search (B/W) x2
Energy Retrieval (B/W) x2

How does that look? And if/when I get a Ninetales I can replace the Cyndaquil/Quilava evolution tree with two more Vulpix and the Ninetales, or maybe have two/two not three/one

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
yay you put in elms!!!the deck is looking better!!!as for mine.....

LAF

Years
So you mean you can't trade for it from someone?

I could I guess, but I'm not much of a player/trader, I collect more than anything which makes it difficult to trade because I keep one of everything.

Also my nearest "club" is a 40min drive away and I have trouble getting there much.

How many would I need do you think?

LAF

Years
Yeah I will definitely get some at some point, my long term goal is to open a box from every English set :)

Starting with early ones of course, they are so expensive :S

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2012
I think you have too many trainer cards and not enough energy. I only play casually now, and most of my cards are ancient history, like, pre- e*reader age so I'm unfamiliar with the newer cards. BUT the deck formula I usually use is the following:
25 E
25 PKMN
(Either one tree formation and 20 other PKMN or 1 Evolution chain and two stage1 PKMN with 20 others)
10 TRAINER

Give it a shot. Good luck!

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2012
hmm...well I'm not much help then, sorry!

But I will say this: Definitely make sure that what ever amounts you choose for each category, make sure that the number of energy cards is the same as the number of pokemon cards in your deck. That way each pokemon is accounted for and you wont be likely to be in a situation in which you don't have any energy for them. Thats the only way I can think of to keep that risk at a minimum while having room for lots of trainer cards. The difference between 16 pokemon and 15 energy might seem small, but you just never know. Then again, you do have energy retrieval so you probably don't have anything to worry about. Just putting this out there though.

Years
hmm...well I'm not much help then, sorry!

But I will say this: Definitely make sure that what ever amounts you choose for each category, make sure that the number of energy cards is the same as the number of pokemon cards in your deck. That way each pokemon is accounted for and you wont be likely to be in a situation in which you don't have any energy for them. Thats the only way I can think of to keep that risk at a minimum while having room for lots of trainer cards. The difference between 16 pokemon and 15 energy might seem small, but you just never know. Then again, you do have energy retrieval so you probably don't have anything to worry about. Just putting this out there though.

I don't think that you'd need more than 20 energy, personally. I'd even be tempted to say 25 trainers, 17 energy and 18 Pokemon would be fine if you've got the right mix of trainers.

That is what I used to use, apparently the format has changed and it's much more trainer oriented now.

It's been trainer-oriented for a few years now. Actually, a truly good deck has almost always had a lot of good trainers.

Samurai★Rocket

Yamato Man
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a tournament legal deck around Tepig and evolutions, but I haven't ever played against anyone other than very casually, and I am really not sure where to start. I know that HGSS on is legal, I have lots of CoL cards, and all but 4 B/W cards.

So, any ideas for me?

Cheers!
Tristan

EDIT: I should also add, the 4 B/W cards I do not have are Samurott, Serperior, Water Energy, and Pikachu, so it should have no bearing. I have ~6 of each Tepig card, and 3 or so of each Pignite. I also have 2 of each Emboar card. I've heard that usually you have 4-3-4 with Stage 2 decks, so I can cover that easily. I also have two Reshiram cards if they are useful (one foil, one ultra rare).

I've got at least 3 of every trainer card in the set.

Ok I've been having a bit of a play and this is what I have got so far

Fire Energy x 15
Tepig (15) x2
Tepig (16) x2
Pignite (17) x2
Pignite (18) x1
Emboar (19) x2
Emboar (20) x2
Pansear x2
Simisear x1
Darumaka (24) x2
Darmanitan x1
Reshiram x1
Pokemon total: 16

So I can have 28 trainers:
Energy Retrieval x3
Energy Search x3
Full Heal x2
Potion x4
Poke Ball x3
Pokemon Communication x2
Professor Oak's New Theory x2
Revive x3
Super Scoop Up x2
Switch x4

How does that look? All cards are from B/W except for Prof. Oak which is from Call of Legends.

Pokemon
Tepig 15/114 x4
Pignite 17/114 X3
Emboar 19/114 x2
Emboar 20/114 x2
Reshiram (rare holo, promo, full art) x3
Cleffa 17/123 x3
17 cards total

Trainer
Pokemon Collector x3
Pokemon Communications x3
PONT x2
PETM x2
Professor Juniper x2
Fisherman x3
Energy Retrieval x4
Rare Candy x2
Energy Search x2
Switch x2
Dual Ball x3
28 total cards

15 Fire Energies.

A person at my league plays with a deck kind of like this it and has never lost once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back