• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Pearl Team Help.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm waiting for my Pokemon Pearl to arrive in the mail and I'm already thinking about my team. It's the first time I'm playing the NDS games, I've only played Leaf Green and Sapphire before, that's why I'll need your help and suggestions, plus to tell me if there are any stronger pokemon that the ones I am planning to have, since I don't know all the new pokemon in the game.
So here's what I thought:
-Piplup(Empoleon)
-Dragonite
-Leafeon
-Ninetales(planning to transfer vulpix from LG to Pearl)
-Alakazam
-Lucario
I don't know what it looks to you but I like the Pokemon. Also should I get Jynx from Leaf Green instead of Alakazam?
Another thing I want to ask you about, is Leafeon. Many people suggest Roserade, but although Grass is my favorite Pokemon type, I don't like Roserade that much. From my research Leafeon is better at Attack, Defense and Speed, and Roserade is better in Sp Attack. I am checking some Grass type moves on Serebii.net and I want to know if Leafeon learns all of the following movest, or at least most of them:
-Leaf Blade
-Power Whip
-Seed Bomb
-Wood Hammer
-Petal Dance
-Seed Flare
I wanted to know if Leafeon learns these attacks because most of the are physical attack types (Leaf Blade, Power Whip, Seed Bomb & Wood Hammer), and the other two are special attack ones, but still strong. I have never owned Leafeon that's why I don't know what it does and does not learn.
Also are the 4 physical attack ones good as Leafeon's final moveset?
One more thing-if you transfer Pokemon from the GBA games (Leagreen, Emerald etc), to a DS game (Pearl or Heart Gold), does that count as trading and will it make certain pokemon evolve (such as Kadabra to Alakazam, Machoke to Machamp, etc)??
Thanks!

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Well I personally don't really like Ninetails, so save your self troubles. I think that you should get a Houndoom to use as your fire type pokemon. The reason why I say that is Houndoom is a very solid Fire and Dark pokemon, and is one my my favorite Fire Pokemon. If not Houndoom try to get a Magby, and eventually evolve it into a Magmortar. Both Houndoom and Magmortar are solid fire type pokemon, and Magmortar can even learn moves such as ice punch and thunder bolt from TMs.

Now for your Physic. Jynx isnt a bad choice, but I feel that Alakazam is better. In addition, I think you should maybe try out Bronzor, which will eventually become a Bronzong. Bronzong is the pokemon I used as my physic for my Pokemon Platinum Playthrough. Being a Steel and Physic Type, gives you an advantage against pretty much all pokemon besides either Fire or Ground. Bronzong's ability is either Heatproof (stopping fire moves) or Levitate (stopping ground moves) making you only have to worry about either Fire or Ground, while using Bronzong. If you decide not to use Bronzong, definitely go after Alakazam.

Now for you Leafeon. Leafeon only learns Leaf Blade out of all of those moves, which it learns Leaf Blade at lvl 71, pretty much not allowing you to use that move throughout the entire game. Personally I don't feel like Leafeon is that good, but Besides Roserade and Torrtera, Grass type pokemon fall short.

If you must use a Grass Type pokemon, I prefer Roserade, but otherwise, I think a solid, Ground, Rock/Bug, or Electric type pokemon would replace the grass type, based on your teams.

And if the worst comes to the worst, try out a good Flying type, such as Driftloom,(Ghost/Flying), Togekiss, or Staraptor.

And about the trading, I'm not really sure. But to tell the truth I don't think so. If anything find a friend to help you out. I would help, but I traded in my Platinum.

And last but not least, Dragonite is a great dragon, but I personally prefer Garchomp. Garchomp is a Dragon/Ground Pokemon and could be found early in the game. Since it is Ground/Dragon, it almost has no weaknesses, except against its own type.

I hope I helped :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Well I personally don't really like Ninetails, so save your self troubles. I think that you should get a Houndoom to use as your fire type pokemon. The reason why I say that is Houndoom is a very solid Fire and Dark pokemon, and is one my my favorite Fire Pokemon. If not Houndoom try to get a Magby, and eventually evolve it into a Magmortar. Both Houndoom and Magmortar are solid fire type pokemon, and Magmortar can even learn moves such as ice punch and thunder bolt from TMs.

Now for your Physic. Jynx isnt a bad choice, but I feel that Alakazam is better. In addition, I think you should maybe try out Bronzor, which will eventually become a Bronzong. Bronzong is the pokemon I used as my physic for my Pokemon Platinum Playthrough. Being a Steel and Physic Type, gives you an advantage against pretty much all pokemon besides either Fire or Ground. Bronzong's ability is either Heatproof (stopping fire moves) or Levitate (stopping ground moves) making you only have to worry about either Fire or Ground, while using Bronzong. If you decide not to use Bronzong, definitely go after Alakazam.

Now for you Leafeon. Leafeon only learns Leaf Blade out of all of those moves, which it learns Leaf Blade at lvl 71, pretty much not allowing you to use that move throughout the entire game. Personally I don't feel like Leafeon is that good, but Besides Roserade and Torrtera, Grass type pokemon fall short.

If you must use a Grass Type pokemon, I prefer Roserade, but otherwise, I think a solid, Ground, Rock/Bug, or Electric type pokemon would replace the grass type, based on your teams.

And if the worst comes to the worst, try out a good Flying type, such as Driftloom,(Ghost/Flying), Togekiss, or Staraptor.

And about the trading, I'm not really sure. But to tell the truth I don't think so. If anything find a friend to help you out. I would help, but I traded in my Platinum.

And last but not least, Dragonite is a great dragon, but I personally prefer Garchomp. Garchomp is a Dragon/Ground Pokemon and could be found early in the game. Since it is Ground/Dragon, it almost has no weaknesses, except against its own type.

I hope I helped :)

Thank you, it was very helpful. According to my research, Houndoom on Pearl can only be found in routes 214 and 215, and I'm guessing that's not near the beginning of the game? I only have Leaf Green at home, otherwise I'd get it from FireRed or wherever it's found. That's why I thought of Ninetales, because I can find Vulpix easily in LeafGreen.
About the Psychic type, I was thinking Jynx because it's kinda rare AND it's an Ice type pokemon as well. Is it true that Alakazlam has almost the same stats as Kadabra? I think I read that somewhere when doing research yesterday. Oh and is Bronzor found early in the game?

Really disappointed about Leafeon, I really liked it :(. What about Ludicolo, is it a better substitute?
If not, and the Leaf type isn't an option, do you think I can get a Gastly instead of the leaf type pokemon, and evolve it to Gengar by trading? Can Garchomp learn any electric moves, so that I could have atleast a strong pokemon against flying types.
And I was thinking of getting Dratini from LeafGreen however, I didn't know if you could or could not get it in Pearl.
One other pokemon I like is Scyther/Scizor, I don't know if I could replace anyone from my team though :P.
Thanks!!

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Thank you, it was very helpful. According to my research, Houndoom on Pearl can only be found in routes 214 and 215, and I'm guessing that's not near the beginning of the game? I only have Leaf Green at home, otherwise I'd get it from FireRed or wherever it's found. That's why I thought of Ninetales, because I can find Vulpix easily in LeafGreen.
About the Psychic type, I was thinking Jynx because it's kinda rare AND it's an Ice type pokemon as well. Is it true that Alakazlam has almost the same stats as Kadabra? I think I read that somewhere when doing research yesterday. Oh and is Bronzor found early in the game?

Really disappointed about Leafeon, I really liked it :(. What about Ludicolo, is it a better substitute?
If not, and the Leaf type isn't an option, do you think I can get a Gastly instead of the leaf type pokemon, and evolve it to Gengar by trading? Can Garchomp learn any electric moves, so that I could have atleast a strong pokemon against flying types.
And I was thinking of getting Dratini from LeafGreen however, I didn't know if you could or could not get it in Pearl.
One other pokemon I like is Scyther/Scizor, I don't know if I could replace anyone from my team though :P.
Thanks!!

Well Houndoom, is kind of found early in the game. Houndoom was the last addition on my team, and I caught him before like the third gym. Ludicolo, uh I don't really like it. Bronzor is found really early in the game, my 3rd addition on my team. Jynx may be rare, but I don't really like it, so I really suggest Bronzor. Garchomp I believe it can learn thunder punch from a TM, and if anything I believe Piplup can learn a ice move, so that takes care of a strength against Flying. And Scizor, is one of the greatest pokemon if you were to ask me. With it being Bug/Steel, its a great choice and a perfect sweeper. Yes you can get Dratini in pearl but, you get it pretty late in the game. And Gastly... I love Gastly, but having Houndoom you don't really need a dark type pokemon. So I think that you should add in a solid Electric like Luxray, or even ampharos. Or add in a flying type pokemon like Togekiss, or Staraptor

So this is the team I suggest.

Piplup
Garchomp
Roserade, Luxray or Ampharos, or Togekiss
Houndoom
Bronzor
Lucario or Scizor

Hope I helped.

Oh and this is completely off topic kind of a bit, but I have a great suggestion for a team, which may go against, what starter you wanted to choose.

So my suggestion is

Turtwig- Literally a Power House from the start.
Buizel- Is one of the best water pokemon and learns ice moves also., and if anything you can replace it with Palkia once you get it.
Togekiss- May not seem to good, but is great for absorbing hits, and can help you out in the end.
Houndoom- One of the greatest fire Types, and with it also being dark, gives you a solid dark.
Luxray- One of my favorites, and is a very solid Pokemon.
Garchomp- I dont even think I have to really explain.

And if anything replace Luxray with Bronzor

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Well Houndoom, is kind of found early in the game. Houndoom was the last addition on my team, and I caught him before like the third gym. Ludicolo, uh I don't really like it. Bronzor is found really early in the game, my 3rd addition on my team. Jynx may be rare, but I don't really like it, so I really suggest Bronzor. Garchomp I believe it can learn thunder punch from a TM, and if anything I believe Piplup can learn a ice move, so that takes care of a strength against Flying. And Scizor, is one of the greatest pokemon if you were to ask me. With it being Bug/Steel, its a great choice and a perfect sweeper. Yes you can get Dratini in pearl but, you get it pretty late in the game. And Gastly... I love Gastly, but having Houndoom you don't really need a dark type pokemon. So I think that you should add in a solid Electric like Luxray, or even ampharos. Or add in a flying type pokemon like Togekiss, or Staraptor

So this is the team I suggest.

Piplup
Garchomp
Roserade, Luxray or Ampharos, or Togekiss
Houndoom
Bronzor
Lucario or Scizor

Hope I helped.

Oh and this is completely off topic kind of a bit, but I have a great suggestion for a team, which may go against, what starter you wanted to choose.

So my suggestion is

Turtwig- Literally a Power House from the start.
Buizel- Is one of the best water pokemon and learns ice moves also., and if anything you can replace it with Palkia once you get it.
Togekiss- May not seem to good, but is great for absorbing hits, and can help you out in the end.
Houndoom- One of the greatest fire Types, and with it also being dark, gives you a solid dark.
Luxray- One of my favorites, and is a very solid Pokemon.
Garchomp- I dont even think I have to really explain.

And if anything replace Luxray with Bronzor

Hey, thanks again for the reply. First of all something that I forgot to add but should've mention since the beginning. I don't want to use legendaries in my team, I'll only catch them.
With grass being my favorite type I'd chose Turtwig first, but when it evolves it becomes 4x weak against ice, since it's not a solid ice type, right? Empoleon is water and steel, reducing it's weakness alot.
If it were to choose a solid electric pokemon, I'd chose Jolteon over Luxray, although I've never used Lyxray, Jolteon is one of the fastest things I've used in Leaf Green.
If it was about choosing Turtwig, what do you think about using Milotic instead of Buizel? It's quite powerful and learns strong moves, both ice and water (hydro pump, etc).
So it's gonna be:
-Turtwig
-Miloioc
-Lucario
-Gengar
-Houndoom
-Scizor
Still, a bit of detail on the above team, feel free to add any opinion. Removed Alakazam because Gengar learns psychic moves, also it is a Ghost pokemon, not dark, so it wont get "mixed" with Houndoom. Scizor is strong as you said, but is it 4x weak against fire? It learns steel moves as well so DIK, I like it.
Thanks again!

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Hey, thanks again for the reply. First of all something that I forgot to add but should've mention since the beginning. I don't want to use legendaries in my team, I'll only catch them.
With grass being my favorite type I'd chose Turtwig first, but when it evolves it becomes 4x weak against ice, since it's not a solid ice type, right? Empoleon is water and steel, reducing it's weakness alot.
If it were to choose a solid electric pokemon, I'd chose Jolteon over Luxray, although I've never used Lyxray, Jolteon is one of the fastest things I've used in Leaf Green.
If it was about choosing Turtwig, what do you think about using Milotic instead of Buizel? It's quite powerful and learns strong moves, both ice and water (hydro pump, etc).
So it's gonna be:
-Turtwig
-Miloioc
-Lucario
-Gengar
-Houndoom
-Scizor
Still, a bit of detail on the above team, feel free to add any opinion. Removed Alakazam because Gengar learns psychic moves, also it is a Ghost pokemon, not dark, so it wont get "mixed" with Houndoom. Scizor is strong as you said, but is it 4x weak against fire? It learns steel moves as well so DIK, I like it.
Thanks again!

Not bad, but Miloioc, might be nice, but same as Buizel. Buizel is a speedy little devil which is great. And It learns ice and water moves. I dont think you should use both scizor, and Lucario, since Siczor learns fighting moves. Yeah, Gengar is great.

So I think you should use

-Turtwig
-Buizel
-Gengar
-Scizor
-Houndoom
-(Any last pokemon, preferably dragon) Some good ones are, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Altaria.
If not dragon, try a flying.

Hope I helped once again :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Not bad, but Miloioc, might be nice, but same as Buizel. Buizel is a speedy little devil which is great. And It learns ice and water moves. I dont think you should use both scizor, and Lucario, since Siczor learns fighting moves. Yeah, Gengar is great.

So I think you should use

-Turtwig
-Buizel
-Gengar
-Scizor
-Houndoom
-(Any last pokemon, preferably dragon) Some good ones are, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Altaria.
If not dragon, try a flying.

Hope I helped once again :)

Thanks again, that's what I was sorta thinking about.
About the dragon type, do you think Salamence would do well? It's really strong. I'd get Garchonp, but it's banned from playing wirelessly, so I think either Dragonite or Salamence.
Thanks!

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Thanks again, that's what I was sorta thinking about.
About the dragon type, do you think Salamence would do well? It's really strong. I'd get Garchonp, but it's banned from playing wirelessly, so I think either Dragonite or Salamence.
Thanks!

Salamence is great. I prefer Salamence over Dragonite, so you should use Salamence.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Salamence is great. I prefer Salamence over Dragonite, so you should use Salamence.

Ok good. Oh also, do you think I can use Arcanine over Houndoom? It seems to have better stats, from what I read at serebii.net.

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Ok good. Oh also, do you think I can use Arcanine over Houndoom? It seems to have better stats, from what I read at serebii.net.

Arcanine is a great Pokemon and may have better stats than Houndoom. But I feel as if Houndoom is smarter. The first reason why is that Houndoom, is a Dark/Fire Type, and dark moves are great. Not only do you have a solid Dark/Fire, Houndoom, learns a lot more and a lot better fire and dark moves than Arcanine. Another reason why is that Houndoom, is immune to physic type moves. How great of an advantage is that. :D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I think that if you already have a Dragonite, there's no use in replacing it with a Salamence, as they both effectively do the same job almost, especially ingame there isn't really much of a difference.

If you're planning on actually using Lucario, you might want to trade in an egg of a Riolu early on, because you get Riley's egg pretty late ingame, and then it's only level 1, so it's more of a pain to train than what it's really worth. Here are some good movesets you can get for your Pokemon:

Empoleon is mostly a special attacker but ingame, variety will work fine really. You should at least have these:
- Surf (HM) / Hydro Pump (Lv 59)
- Ice Beam (Route 216/Game Corner) / Blizzard (Veilstone Store)
And any of these moves are an option:
Aqua Jet (Lv 36), Flash Cannon (Canalave Gym), Earthquake (Wayward Cave), Shadow Claw (Hearthome Gym), Rock Slide (Mt Coronet)

Also, why not use Garchomp? You shouldn't be planning on battling wirelessly with these Pokemon anyway (EVs, IVs, natures, etc, if you don't pay attention to them, your opponent probably will which will cause your loss most likely) and smogon bans should have no effect on your ingame play.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I think that if you already have a Dragonite, there's no use in replacing it with a Salamence, as they both effectively do the same job almost, especially ingame there isn't really much of a difference.

If you're planning on actually using Lucario, you might want to trade in an egg of a Riolu early on, because you get Riley's egg pretty late ingame, and then it's only level 1, so it's more of a pain to train than what it's really worth. Here are some good movesets you can get for your Pokemon:

Empoleon is mostly a special attacker but ingame, variety will work fine really. You should at least have these:
- Surf (HM) / Hydro Pump (Lv 59)
- Ice Beam (Route 216/Game Corner) / Blizzard (Veilstone Store)
And any of these moves are an option:
Aqua Jet (Lv 36), Flash Cannon (Canalave Gym), Earthquake (Wayward Cave), Shadow Claw (Hearthome Gym), Rock Slide (Mt Coronet)

Also, why not use Garchomp? You shouldn't be planning on battling wirelessly with these Pokemon anyway (EVs, IVs, natures, etc, if you don't pay attention to them, your opponent probably will which will cause your loss most likely) and smogon bans should have no effect on your ingame play.

I have not started the game yet, so I don't have a Dragonite, I was just considering one since it's strong in my Leaf Green. So probably Salamence. I really wanna play wirelessly when I gain more experience in the game, and I've got friends and relatives who are not so "literatre" at Pokemon (they do know how to play and how to choose a good team but don't know about the natures, etc).
I removed Empoleon as an option because I'm thinking of adding Milotic to my team. I'm gonna choose Turtwig instead.
I didn't know about getting Riolu late and at such a small level. I don't know how to trade yet lol and don't know where I can get an egg by trading, so I'll probably stick to Scizor.
Also sorry for the ignorance but I'm relatively new here, can you tell me what EVs and IVs are?
Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2012
The person who suggested Houndoom to you must have had Platinum. You cannot get Houndoom on Pearl until after you defeat the Elite 4 and get a Pokeradar.
You also can't transfer Pokemon from your LeafGreen until really late in the game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
The person who suggested Houndoom to you must have had Platinum. You cannot get Houndoom on Pearl until after you defeat the Elite 4 and get a Pokeradar.
You also can't transfer Pokemon from your LeafGreen until really late in the game.

I see. What about Growlithe/Arcanine then?
Also, can I do this: Transfer the wanted Pokemon from LeafGreen to my cousin who has completed the Elite Four, then she sends them to me? Or do I have to complete the Elite Four as well to trade with my cousin (she has a DS Lite)?
If not, do you think I should choose Chimchar if the fire pokemon mentioned above are not available anytime soon in Pearl?
Thanks.

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
I see. What about Growlithe/Arcanine then?
Also, can I do this: Transfer the wanted Pokemon from LeafGreen to my cousin who has completed the Elite Four, then she sends them to me? Or do I have to complete the Elite Four as well to trade with my cousin (she has a DS Lite)?
If not, do you think I should choose Chimchar if the fire pokemon mentioned above are not available anytime soon in Pearl?
Thanks.
Chimchar, is an alright choice, but I think that another fire Pokemon would be a lot better. I'm not sure, when you get magby, but magby is a great addition. If you do choose Chimchar, then make your grass Pokemon, Roserade.

And to tell the truth I am not sure about the Trading stuff :P

Oh. I didn't know that since I did have platinum. :P

Back