• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Suikun's Art Chest (Updated)

Suikun

The Northwind
Years
Before, I had posted a thread long ago named this, with some old artwork I do not even have on my hard drives anymore. (XD I moved on to different types of work anyways) Rather than so much pixel, or photoshop, 2D. I moved on to 3D and one day, CGI.

So far I've done quite a few pokemon renders. All of course start out as practice for specific things like clouds,grass,sky,lighting, etc. This is what has been done. You can,of course find more on the other places I'm at if I remember to put them on my profile XD.

Bear in mind, even though I have moved on to a more different artwork approach, now comes the issue of hardware limitation e.e

Please, play nice/respectively.

Title - Fields of green

Description: I do have a higher resolution on Deviantart, under Avvoltaire. This one nearly killed my system to render, believe it or not.

fields_of_green_by_avvoltaire-d5uszha.jpg

Title - Magcargo and his cargo

Description: Mostly for practice on warmer scenes. I so far am somewhat pleased with this progress.

magcargo_and_his_cargo_by_avvoltaire-d5v6kwj.jpg

Title - Totodile (Yeah it's just totodile XD)

Description: This one was a nightmare.

11b30b4b93e222645da333983ae50b29-d5v1u7q.jpg

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there! :3

Okay, let me start off by being a bum. ;( A&D's rules state that you need to have at least 4 examples of your work. But you said yourself that you have plenty of renders so I'm not worried. Just please remember to post one more so your gallery complies with the rules at some point! ;)

Now that all that's done with, I can gush. I honestly looked at your gallery a few times now, and I just couldn't come up with the right things to say. And to an extent, I still haven't. Obviously, there are some faults in realism with your pieces (and I don't mean because they're Pokemon). For instance, there's no shadow under Suicune, Charmander's flame, etc. But that's to be expected when you're intentionally working with such a difficult medium, epecially when you're still learning. So let me officially begin this entire post by saying that you should be very, very proud of yourself.

The depth.. that's really what stands out to me. I must have stared at Suicune's head (helmet? crest? thing?) for the better part of 15 minutes. It looks so, so incredible. I mean it actually looks like it would be cold to the touch. It's just... absolutely stunning. Those small textures in Charmander's scales and in Totodile, the blacks that you pushed into Marcargo's shell make the whole piece pop.

Did you mirror Totodile's face? Because usually I'd be against something like that (mostly because you lose the more humanistic perspective doing that), but you've really made that work for you. The symmetry keeps the eyes forward facing and believable. If you didn't mirror Totodile's face, than I give you 100 props for keeping those scales perfectly aligned. That it a true labor that I, personally, have no patience for.

So sorry it took me so long to get to this thread! Sometimes it's heard to critique art that's just that good. I also have no reference for these sorts of pieces, so it's a bit daunting I'll admit! But above all, this gallery is a fresh and innovative take on Pokemon that we haven't seen in a while. This was a real treat to look at and I sincerely hope you decide to update this often! You've certainly caught my attention. :D Great work! <33;

Oh and lastly, are these completed pieces? Or are they WIPs?

Suikun

The Northwind
Years
Update-

Title - Oreo Cakesters

I totally loved how this came out so far, I even made the texture on the wrapper, along with a nutrition label.

oreo_cakesters__complete__by_avvoltaire-d5w13v9.jpg

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hey there Suikun! Kudos for you for trying to move onto 3D. I am finding it a bit difficult to critique your work as I don't know if you are doing paintovers of your renders or not. If you are, I think you should concentrate on your directional lighting a bit more. A good challenge is for you to try and do a scene that's lit only by a few candles or something. Otherwise, if it isn't, I feel you need to work on your texturing and edgeloops, as you're getting some strange deformation on a few of these pieces. Try looking up some more modeling tutorials for characters; as there are some bits that are falling a bit flat (Totodile's eyes for example.) Try adding a new level of simplistic detail. Don't focus on surfacing.. focus on shape ;3 Good stuff overall though! I know I can be picky but with a bit more practice I think these can really go up a large level!

I'm sorry I can't help more with this; I've not personally done any texturing or lighting before, but I encourage you to keep experimenting and show up more stuff. Your stuff is exciting and I look forward to more!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
oh wow these are so cool (: i love how you made the pokemon into 3D. everything looks so realistic.
i love the first one of suicune. what bothers me is the clouds. the edge on the clouds is what bothers me. i feel like it should be more smooth. i love suicune's eyes. they look so realistic and glossy.
the second one is good, but i don't like charmander. i think the little dots is what throws me off, but i understand it's a texture for him. i wish his eyes would have been more glossy like suicune.
the new one of the oreo package is cool. i like the oreos they look really realistic. i wish the text was more clear and sharpened.
i can't wait to see more.

Suikun

The Northwind
Years
Thank you all for the feedback, it's going to be used in the future, (Even when I finish ramune). To answer question, I do only render, no paintovers. ^_^.

Suikun

The Northwind
Years
UPDATE -

I got sick around the ending of this and figured I'd rush to finish it... so here's my gift to me mum, she wanted tomato soup. I really cut corners sadly, I haven't my old amount of processing speed so it wouldn't even render half the time.
time soon to be getting a new computer!

856709_255544814580962_551875235_o.jpg

Back