• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Story vs. Art vs. Action

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
In anime/manga, which of these things takes priority over the other when it comes to enjoying the piece of work? Does the story captivate you more than the art, or are the illustrations and animation what draw you in? Or maybe it's the action (at least in adventure/action works) that captures your attention?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Story is the most important to me! If it's not unique or well-executed it won't stand out to me and I probably won't like it as much. Action only really matters if there's something wrong with it, like, there's a huge fight going on and it stops every couple of minutes so each character can give a speech or something.

I've learned that art doesn't actually matter to me that much, unless it's like, god-awful, or really old. I've heard of some people dropping certain series (like Hunter x Hunter?) b/c the art is just so bad, and it's kind of hard for me to see that b/c I see each show as having their own unique-ish feel to them. I do like it when series have unique animation, but it doesn't really bother me when they don't. (this is really only for anime)

CrimsonFlames

Bye-Beeeeeee!
Years
Art and Story...

Art, I judge by how it looks I find some interesting animes with beautiful art, When I see an awful like [not going to say because it might start an argue] I watch it on Youtube or on TV then I change the channel. XD

Story, If it's story then I try to watch almost all episodes of the anime then If I find the story interesting then I keep watching...

Action, doesn't really matter... (to me)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Story and characters are the most important to me.
Of course, story can be enjoyed in manga but I still like the story aspect =)
In a way art as well (MOEEEEEEEE) 'cause if I don't like the animation/art I don't even want to watch that anime... :/
Action doesn't matter, I can enjoy slow paced non action anime (K-On anyone? =D)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Can I throw in another one? Voice acting. Some anime have characters with such tedious voices (more often dubbed, but subbed has some as well) that can totally put me off watching an anime.

The main thing that draws me in is the artwork and an interesting story. It needs to tick my boxes for ideal genre and sound interesting enough to stick around. Basically, the art needs to hold me in until the story gets going and then I'll carry on. There aren't many anime that I have started significantly (say, more than 3 episodes) that I haven't finished.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Can I throw in another? Likable characters, this is what normally that makes me want to continue the anime, well along with the storyline. I don't really care about the Voice Actors, but good voice actors are always better, while bad one just makes the character less likable sometimes. Action and Animation doesn't really matter for me, but as always good animation is always a plus point.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Can I throw in another one? Voice acting. Some anime have characters with such tedious voices (more often dubbed, but subbed has some as well) that can totally put me off watching an anime.

A certain Angel Beats comes to mind...

while bad one just makes the character less likable sometimes. Action and Animation doesn't really matter for me, but as always good animation is always a plus point.

I agree. I think a character not having a voice that befits them or at least something pleasurable to the ear, it can ruin the character. Often times, though, the characterization is what can make or break the character but a good voice actor is an excellent framework.

Years
Story and character development are always my top priorities. So long as there is a reason to "invest" in the story and get a proper payoff later, I can manage a bit of "flawed artwork". Generally, the story sticks with you in your memory, but the artwork is always in a state of immediate appreciation - a bit like music. You can "always" find another good piece of art if that is what you're after, but it's much harder to find a substitution for a good and original story.

As far as anime is concerned, I always go with the original Japanese voice cast and I've never heard any acting that was so bad it turned me off.

Years
For manga, story and art take precedence over action because I generally prefer reading shoujo rather than seeing it animated. As for anime, action and voice acting are important factors when I'm considering which to watch. Generally I go straight for the cast list when researching information on an anime before making my decision. Sakurai Takahiro, Miyano Mamoru and Ono Daisuke make a series an immediate must-watch for me, unless they're in minor supporting roles XP

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
likeable characters/character development

not sure if you want to clump those together with story, but the characters are the most important to me! without likeable characters, it's impossible for me to enjoy

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
For manga, story and art take precedence over action because I generally prefer reading shoujo rather than seeing it animated. As for anime, action and voice acting are important factors when I'm considering which to watch. Generally I go straight for the cast list when researching information on an anime before making my decision. Sakurai Takahiro, Miyano Mamoru and Ono Daisuke make a series an immediate must-watch for me, unless they're in minor supporting roles XP
If you like some seiyuu, it doesn't matter if he/she's in minor role =D It's still must watch =D

Evyl

t r a g i c
Years
For it's story. 11eyes is a really good example of this. The art and music is amazing, but what stands out for me is the story. The ending is the reason why I don't like it in my favourite animes list - the story was soooo weak at the end.

Back