• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White: Best selling game 2011?

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
I'm pretty sure Black and White can at least beat HG and SS. And I want it to be #1, but its hard to beat other game systems like Ps3 and Xbox.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Pokémon is a looot bigger in Japan than it is here. There's no doubt it will still sell well, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for it being the biggest title on the market in 2011. There's a lot more for it to compete with in the North American market and it'll definitely be pushed aside for some of the Western blockbusters.

Even out of Nintendo systems only, there's big titles on the horizon like Zelda (is that actually coming out next year?) and the launch of the 3DS so I'd still be wary.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
I could see Black and White maybe in the top 5, but not in the entire market. Although I was quite suprised and happy that Heartgold and Soulsilver were in the top rankings. So I guess it should be the same for Black and White. I bet pokemon gained a lot of fans back after they released HGSS.

Opticgoo

Ignorance is my best friend.
Years
I'm guessing it'll be in the top 5, not the top spot, even for the Nintendo systems, as said above, there are some big games coming out for the Wii and DS and most people orgasm over the Xbox and the PS ;-;

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
It is possible. New Pokemon generation games have been shown to get to the top. Diamond and Pearl were top sellers for a while. As for best selling Nintendo game, it is almost impossible for any game of this year to surpass the sales of Black and White. Of course, the 3DS is expected in about three months. All types of players will get their hands on the system that lets you view games in 3D with no glasses. Well, most of them. $300? I think I might hold that off until it's cheaper.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Still alive by about 3 days, lucky!

Pokémon Black/White Version (DS) pre-orders continues to outperform every other game by a significant amount, as it adds 155,000 pre-orders this week down from 208,000 last week. The game currently sits at a total of 759,000 and is six weeks away from launch. It is currently the most pre-ordered game in America and it beats the next closest game by a margin of 4 to 1.

Also from VGCharts. Stalking PokeBeach can be a good thing sometimes.

So as it says, at the moment, there's 759,000 pre-orders for B/W. Let's consider the fact that the mall tours haven't started yet - which would increase interest in the games + make more people want to pre-order, as well as the fact that there's still about a month away... I think being the best selling game is still possible. If they can reach that much on pre-orders alone, then that may be a good indication for sales. :)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Wow, that's impressive. Maybe the world has missed the freshness of Pokemon that these games seem to bring.

Years
Pokemon is huge in Japan, so that is why the sales have been mega. It will still sell well and get high in the table, but I don't think it will outsell some of the other games in the chart.​

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
I have high hopes that the games might be contenders for best-selling game of the year, but they do have tough competition such as Skyward Sword, 3DS games, and whatever Call of Duty :tired: has in store for this year. But considered that the games managed to pull this off with before their official release, I'd say it has a definite possibility of being ranked in the top 5. The large accessibility of the DS line further increases this possibility, IMO. I just hope that the Nostalgia Filter doesn't dissuade people from acknowledging Pokemon past the original 151. >_> (honestly, they'd pass up vicious Pokemon like Zoroark, Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyuremu for stuff like Slowpoke, Clefairy, and Wigglytuff? [no offense to those Pokemon, though])

The potential popularity of the Smugleaf meme might also help things..
. :cer_shifty:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'm certain BW is heading there by now with all the pre-order sales...plus they finally are advertising the games getting new kids to buy them helping it in it's goal to achieve BSG of 2011 :)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Yup, I think that B/W will get pretty high. But not No.1.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
when they hit america it will be the best selling game

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I think black and white will be in the top 5. Top 3 is highly unlikely. Can't wait for this game to set records. If its sold over 5 million copies in Japan by January of this year then there is no reason it can't sell 5 million by the end of summer (august) here in the US, or at least by year end. I'm hoping the pokemon fans come out in storms like they did in Japan.
*And as I'm typing this the black and white commercial was on tv...Can't wait!
Worldwide, by the end of 2011 who knows the games will probably have sold over ten million copies or more.

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 22, 2016
Probably not this year (likely to lose to something like Gears of War 3), but in 1-2 years it'll probably become the best-selling game released in 2011:

-M-rated man-fest games for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (like CoD, Halo and Blizzard MMO expansions) usually have an explosive launch, but everyone forgets about them a couple of months afterwards.

-Nintendo games, especially Mario, Pokémon and Wii Fit *shudder* usually have good but not spectacular launches, but steadily sell very well over the years. Hell, Nintendo even predicted this back in 2009 when NSMB Wii had to compete with MW2 and, from what I know, NSMB's sold more copies than MW2 so far.

I remember, back in 2008, GTA 4 was what everyone was talking about. Now you can find it heavily discounted in various game stores, while the original NSMB for DS (an even older game) is selling better and for a higher price.

One other possibility is that B/W might be a fresh enough start for the series to re-launch a huge Pokémon craze like in the late 1990s, in which case they might even outsell Red and Blue! (Unlikely though.)

Yup, Nintendo's got the real power. Everyone's going to buy Gears of War 3 until Modern Warfare 3 comes out, and then they'll stop buying MW3 when the Halo remake comes out, and then they'll stop buying that when the Zerg expansion for SC2 comes out... (Actually, the Halo remake has a high chance of lasting a long time, considering that it's a remake of a game now considered a classic.)

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
It would maybe get the 3rd on the top selling games. On a unrelated note, PkmnTrainerPaul, are you ever going to finish Pkmn FR: The Next Chapter?

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Probably not this year (likely to lose to something like Gears of War 3), but in 1-2 years it'll probably become the best-selling game released in 2011:

-M-rated man-fest games for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (like CoD, Halo and Blizzard MMO expansions) usually have an explosive launch, but everyone forgets about them a couple of months afterwards.

-Nintendo games, especially Mario, Pokémon and Wii Fit *shudder* usually have good but not spectacular launches, but steadily sell very well over the years. Hell, Nintendo even predicted this back in 2009 when NSMB Wii had to compete with MW2 and, from what I know, NSMB's sold more copies than MW2 so far.

I remember, back in 2008, GTA 4 was what everyone was talking about. Now you can find it heavily discounted in various game stores, while the original NSMB for DS (an even older game) is selling better and for a higher price.

One other possibility is that B/W might be a fresh enough start for the series to re-launch a huge Pokémon craze like in the late 1990s, in which case they might even outsell Red and Blue! (Unlikely though.)

Yup, Nintendo's got the real power. Everyone's going to buy Gears of War 3 until Modern Warfare 3 comes out, and then they'll stop buying MW3 when the Halo remake comes out, and then they'll stop buying that when the Zerg expansion for SC2 comes out... (Actually, the Halo remake has a high chance of lasting a long time, considering that it's a remake of a game now considered a classic.)
+1, Nintendo games seem to do better over the long-term compared to the must have and extremely hyped games such as Gears of War, Modern Warfare, etc. I think there are many people who have had their interest in pokemon resparked thanks to black and white. I definitely know for sure that they'll outsell diamond and pearl.

Years
You'll be surprised how well Pokemon Black and White shall sell, it has features we've never seen in a Pokemon game that makes it very JRPG-esque.

Plus Pokemon games stick around for a long time, contrary to games such has Halo, Call of Duty, anything from Sony lasts for a year or two, then you stop hearing about it. Halo Reach will last longer than it's predecessors, like was Black Ops, but they too shall not live as long as Pokemon.

The only game series that comes to mind that would beat Pokemon would be Mario.

Remember folks, Nintendo is all about long-living games that keep printing money, Sony and Microsoft focus on the "Big-Bang" kind of games/consoles, that give them a lot of money at first but dwindles down over time.

Back